My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a local dealer whom I had original purchased it from way back since it close to where I live now. There are others I will check. I have had a CVT seal leak for a while and decided to have it checked. Cheaper than loosing the tranny after 2 years now. Anyway it turns out it was down .5L not a big deal in my opinion. Since its the 2nd CVT its not at the service interval but I ask how much and what is done. Well for the expensive fluid and a filter its $400. Well I was standing and shocked. LOL

Don't think i'll be back. I figure maybe $200 dealer would be about right. Anyone done there's in Canada or Ontario?? I'll call around later.

I have some creeking going in the rear and does not appear to be the suspension.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was at a local dealer whom I had original purchased it from way back since it close to where I live now. There are others I will check. I have had a CVT seal leak for a while and decided to have it checked. Cheaper than loosing the tranny after 2 years now. Anyway it turns out it was down .5L not a big deal in my opinion. Since its the 2nd CVT its not at the service interval but I ask how much and what is done. Well for the expensive fluid and a filter its $400. Well I was standing and shocked. LOL

Don't think i'll be back. I figure maybe $200 dealer would be about right. Anyone done there's in Canada or Ontario?? I'll call around later.

I have some creeking going in the rear and does not appear to be the suspension.
I just had my CVT serviced and it cost $400 in Napanee, Ontario.
The filter and gasket are Chrysler supply parts and they are pricey.
I got a quote from the dealership first and it was more than that, however if you still have warranty on your vehicle it may be cheaper.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
A dealer down my way (Trenton) also said $400 which is a rip off. The prices really inflated. CCVT fluid is a lot more than synthetic transmission fluid but even still its a lot less in part than maybe implied.

I'll call around and find a independant transmission shop that knows CVT's to do the service before I give $400 to any dealer. They're just pricing themselves out of work. There are enough of the CVT out there croaking that I am sure independants are up to speed on what needs doing. Especially fluid changes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I changed my fluid and filter myself on my 08 a few months ago and total cost was under $100

My local dealership quoted me nearly $600

Many people on these forums change their own and save lots of money.

You can use Valvoline CVT fluid ($50 for a 6 quart case). The Nissan CVT fluid is around $20/quart.

My Compass took 6 quarts to fill it after dropping the pan and changing the filter.

You can get the fluid, filter and gasket on Amazon fairly cheap.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a full service done not just fluid, gasket and filter. Where they hook up the computer to their specialized dip stick to make sure the CVT is functioning properly.
I also had them search why my check engine light was on.
The Total bill with tax was $459.90
I'm sure close to $400 was the CVT service...not done at a dealer either.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I have watch a Nissan change process in which it shows they have dipstick. Hmm I doubt we have. Anyway required NS-x spec'd fluid which Valvoline made in the video. Castrol may also have something.

Did some searching and Castrol does make a compatible fluid, supporting all the NS-1-3 spec's and more. Likely supersedes Jeeps product.

http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/BEE1DAAC8509BE8C80257DA5006202D0/$File/BPXE-9RV9FP.pdf

1 - 7 of 7 Posts