My Jeep Compass Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So now my car has 300,310 Miles so I decided to buy a new Upper radiator hose and replace the original one since it has shown some signs of leaking at the T-joint for the transmission cooling line. I was trying to avoid any catastrophic failure of this part which could ruin the engine.

YIAC0803.JPG

After I removed the hose I noticed that I now have plenty of space to remove the intake manifold and do some more work on the engine. Things like cleaning the block, replace the oil sensor switch and seal the vvt valve solenoid. Inspect and dress the wire harness.

When I removed the air tube I was pleasantly surprised to see that there's very little dirt in the throttle body. As I mentioned in one of my posts I never changed the air filter but I clean it once every two or three weeks with a vacuum and air compressor. The air filter is still the original that came with the car.

It was not difficult to remove the intake manifold. You just have to have the proper tools and some patience.
Here's the disappointment:

Yep, after 300,000 miles the intake valves are absolutely clean ! Yes, all of them !!
I was expecting some heavy carbon and crud buildup but sadly nothing.

Here's another one. No crud, no carbon. So disappointing. NOT !!!

Attachments

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's unbelievable. Did you never use a Cleaner?
At least twice around 12000 miles ago I used the seafoam spray cleaner. I did not finish the whole can. I might still have about 30% left. Of course I did not know if I had carbon build up or not as I did not remove the manifold then so I'm not sure if this is the one that maintained the cleanliness. It could have been the additive in the gas that I used. Oh well...

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At least twice around 12000 miles ago I used the seafoam spray cleaner. I did not finish the whole can. I might still have about 30% left. Of course I did not know if I had carbon build up or not as I did not remove the manifold then so I'm not sure if this is the one that maintained the cleanliness. It could have been the additive in the gas that I used. Oh well...

Engine block after manifold removal and before washing dirt off.

Engine block after washing some of the dirt off. Without the manifold you gain access to a lot of things. Starter, Alternator, Compressor, PS pump, sensors. It's great !

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any degreaser should work. Just make sure you wash it all off because of the smell. You can use an air blower to help dry.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts