My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
07 jeep compass
so the brake light comes on on the dash everytime we start the vehicle. i had the jeep dealer scan the vehicle and he said it was the brake fluid level sensor. (the brake fluid is not low) i replaced the sensor but still have the same problem. any help would be appreciated.
the e-brake is not stuck, the light flashes when the e-brake is on. i have checked and even topped off the fluid. there are no leaks and the fluid stays full.

·
Registered
429 Posts
07 jeep compass
so the brake light comes on on the dash everytime we start the vehicle. i had the jeep dealer scan the vehicle and he said it was the brake fluid level sensor. (the brake fluid is not low) i replaced the sensor but still have the same problem. any help would be appreciated.
the e-brake is not stuck, the light flashes when the e-brake is on. i have checked and even topped off the fluid. there are no leaks and the fluid stays full.
Hey Thorton0,

I am sorry to hear about your recent experience with your Compass. Unfortunately, I could not locate any TSBs related to your vehicle. You can access any open recalls on your vehicle by accessing this link: Safety Recall Information | MOPAR. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Generally the Brake light comes on and stays on.
- fluid is low if there is a sensor
- E-brake lever is on not fully off activating the switch
- ABS issue although usually has its own light but could be connected

These are all I can think of right now. If the ABS is working (test on a wet street if they activate on hard stop). The e-brake switch and or fault with the foot brake switch may be triggering it. Foot break switch is usually a two circuit device, of which one activates the brake lights and other signals the computer or whatever which monitors its state.

PS: There is no reason to replace the master cylinder sensor as a guess. The sensor is either open or closed circuit when the fluid is high enough. Simply unplug the sensor which opens the ciruit. if the light is still one you can verify with a meter if its closed by ohm testing the switch. A jumper across the plug would close the circuit and replicate that. Otherwise its not this switch unless it tests faulty ohming it as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dash Red BRAKE Light Remains On

I saw this thread and although it's quite old, I hope to resurrect it as I have a similar issue on my '07 Compass. The issue started last week while driving home from work. Thinking it might be a bad brake fluid sensor, I unplugged the sensor connector by the master cylinder, but the light remained on.

Now, here are a few items to note:

1. Brakes work fine
2. Master cylinder reservoir is full
2. Orange ABS light does not come on except during the light/bulb check when engine is started and then promptly goes off, so I'm thinking there are no DTC or error codes stored or to read
4. I removed the connector from the emergency parking brake switch but the light remains on
3. Rear brakes were serviced about a month ago. Pads and rotors were replaced.
4. If the car sits for a few hours or overnight, the brake warning light works "normally," i.e. it goes off after the light/bulb check when engine is started. However, as soon as I start driving it, the light goes on and off intermittently for the first few miles and then stays on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

R. Soriano
'07 Compass
'07 Dodge Grand Caravan
'72 Dodge Challenger

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fixed!

UPDATE: The cause was a bad ground wire circuit at the brake fluid level sensor wiring connector at the master cylinder reservoir. I spliced into the ground wire and grounded it to a new spot on the firewall..problem solved!

I saw this thread and although it's quite old, I hope to resurrect it as I have a similar issue on my '07 Compass. The issue started last week while driving home from work. Thinking it might be a bad brake fluid sensor, I unplugged the sensor connector by the master cylinder, but the light remained on.

Now, here are a few items to note:

1. Brakes work fine
2. Master cylinder reservoir is full
2. Orange ABS light does not come on except during the light/bulb check when engine is started and then promptly goes off, so I'm thinking there are no DTC or error codes stored or to read
4. I removed the connector from the emergency parking brake switch but the light remains on
3. Rear brakes were serviced about a month ago. Pads and rotors were replaced.
4. If the car sits for a few hours or overnight, the brake warning light works "normally," i.e. it goes off after the light/bulb check when engine is started. However, as soon as I start driving it, the light goes on and off intermittently for the first few miles and then stays on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

R. Soriano
'07 Compass
'07 Dodge Grand Caravan
'72 Dodge Challenger

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Rusting grounds are becoming a problem on various new vehicles!!! Electrical engineering is not as it should be and also the metal is much poorer quality and rusts far too easily aggravating electrical ground issues.

Rusting out front and rear cross members is a major problem in the 1st gen builds. Whether its better from the newer 2010's remains to be seen. Finding earlier Compasses in good enough shape to buy used is extremely unlikely if checked carefully. Its best to stay far away from any built before 2011 at min. CVT's are a high failure item (compaired to a standard automatic build vehicle).

·
Registered
2 Posts
07 jeep compass
I had the same problem with my 2011 jeep compass (brake light would not go off). The problem is the ground on the sensor (black/yellow wire) for the brake fluid monitor. The fix is to add a new ground wire to the black/yellow sensor wire. After adding new ground wire, plug sensor back in before testing. If you leave the sensor unplugged and restart vehicle the brake light will clear for about 5 seconds and then come back on. Once you plug the sensor in with the new ground wire the brake light will stay off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts