My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my prior 2019 Compass totaled by a idiot on the highway. Who is now claiming it’s my fault after he hit me. I’ve decided to install a dash cam to protect myself in case this happens again. I went with a Vava dual camera from amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R5MBNZ7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Got it yesterday and am impressed with the quality of the unit. Packaging is Apple level good. And the camera itself is small and easy to set up. I installed just the front camera so far and ran the wiring for the power to the 12v outlet under the trim temporarily.
I have the hardwire kit for power still to install as well as the rear camera.
pictire quality is great as it does have had capabilities. Would recommend to anyone wanting an affordable small dash cam for their Jeep.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Installed the rear dash camera today. Ran all wiring behind trim using the supplied trim removal tool. And have it centered on the rear hatch glass.Now I have front and rear coverage with shock activation.
Again not visible from outside and great view. Will do the hard wiring for power this weekend with the hardwire kit I got.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Where are you accessing power?

I have a 2104 and I have given up looking for a good 12V and I just use a cigarette lighter adapter that has some Anderson Power Poles in the back.

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Compass Trailhawk
176 Posts
Anyone else install a front and rear dash cam. I guess some insurance companies give a discount if you have them. Checking with mine. Looking at a Kenwood for my 2021 compass.

·
Registered
73 Posts
All new vehicles sold in the US since May '18 have been required to have rear cameras. Your '21 certainly does. Don't know why insurance would provide a discount for front-facing ones, unless they record video to help them "prove" an accident was more than 50% your fault, so they can get out of paying. What insurance do you have?

I've got a Kenwood in a different and older car - fine unit. But, on newer Compasses there's a lot controlled through the factory headunit (climate controls, lighting controls, much more). There are adapters which claim to allow aftermarket headunits to do the same (or at least similar). When I researched it, I couldn't find much on how complete, reliable, and workable that support was. Perhaps someone here has done that, and will step in with comments.

In short, my opinion is that if you want to add a front camera, just get a standalone one. I wouldn't do it for an insurance discount - anything they do is for their benefit, not your's.

This thread is in the "2nd Gen Jeep Compass Forum General Discussion" forum, so anyone here should have a rear camera. But some comments above are about 2003 and 2014 cars. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Front and rear recording with a vibration mode. I have Farm Bureau and am checking. Really does not matter if they give a discount but makes it a little more reason to get them.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The 2019 Jeep Compass I own, the 2021 Ram my best friend owns, the 2019 Chevrolet Equinox my mother leases - none of these came equipped with rear dash cams. They did come equipped with rear backup cameras. Dash cams records video footage while a normal backup camera is just for live view.
I can definitely understand what the advantages are of having dash cams. I have a 4 camera system with a MDVR that records to a hard drive.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The 2019 Jeep Compass I own, the 2021 Ram my best friend owns, the 2019 Chevrolet Equinox my mother leases - none of these came equipped with rear dash cams.
That's obvious. The dashboard is in front, not the rear.

·
Registered
2 Posts
With my prior 2019 Compass totaled by a idiot on the highway. Who is now claiming it’s my fault after he hit me. I’ve decided to install a dash cam to protect myself in case this happens again. I went with a Vava dual camera from amazon amazon.com/gp/product/B07R5MBNZ7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Got it yesterday and am impressed with the quality of the unit. Packaging is Apple level good. And the camera itself is small and easy to set up. I installed just the front camera so far and ran the wiring for the power to the 12v outlet under the trim temporarily.

I have the hardwire kit for power still to install as well as the rear camera.

pictire quality is great as it does have had capabilities. Would recommend to anyone wanting an affordable small dash cam for their Jeep. View attachment 13786
For more information on dash cam for jeep visit the website here https://www.jeepzine.com/best-dash-cam-for-jeep-wrangler
How much does it cost to have a dash cam installed?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cost of the dash am and a little bit of your time. It’s really not that complicated as long as you take your time and plan the routing of your wiring.

·
Registered
227 Posts
There is constant 12V power in the center light console above the rear view mirror. I know this as I recently installed a home link transmitter there. I am going to measure the current draw for the Rexing I have and see if it is low enough to not discharge the battery too quickly in case I forget and leave it on.

Edit Update: Unfortunately the device draws about 160 milliamps so the power needs to be hooked up to a switched source to keep from running down the battery when left on.

·
Registered
176 Posts
They installed my front and rear cameras in about 31/2 hours. Will post some pictures of them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts