My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I want to go with the Daystar 1.5 inch lift kit for my 2018 Trailhawk Compass. Anybody have one? Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nobody?!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been eyeing the same kit myself. I like how it is a trailhawk specific lift kit and the brand seems reputable. I am still planning on waiting a few months but would love to hear how this kit works out for you if you do go through with it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have been eyeing the same kit myself. I like how it is a trailhawk specific lift kit and the brand seems reputable. I am still planning on waiting a few months but would love to hear how this kit works out for you if you do go through with it.
The Daystar Kit appears to be relatively easy in regards to installation. They also claim that the suspension geometry isn't altered too much. Can't believe nobody has the kit! :plain:

·
Registered
936 Posts
bluestar said:
Can't believe nobody has the kit!
Well ya know, these are glorified cars mostly used as grocery getters and commuters by regular folks who live in areas with heavy winter snow, or they just like the style. These are not serious off-roaders and most people buying them realize that going in. Being a car platform, they don't lift well anyways. Just going to run the CV axles at a harsher angle and wear them out sooner, throw off the center of balance and the nice on-road driving dynamics this car has. Buuuut just like the backwards-baseball-cap subaru guys who find a way to crank up their cars and put ridiculous KO2s on them, there will always be somebody that wants to wreck the driveability of a perfectly good car and turn it into something lost in-between where its neither a good driving car on the road nor a good off road machine.

Its a free country, have fun! I'm just saying you shouldn't be surprised when not many people follow down that path :p

·
Registered
37 Posts
Don't have the Daystar 1.5" lift, but I have the American Trail Products 2" lift. I like the stance and will be looking to upgrade tires as soon as the original Falkens need replacing. I wouldn't pay much mind to what homeboy, arudlang, said. If you want to lift your MP, do it! Throw on the KO2s while you're at it! ...and do it all with a backwards-baseball-cap...that's the only way I drive my Compass. The jeep feels pretty much the same on-road, you just feel a little more like a badass bc you're sitting a little taller.

In terms of off-road, the lift is definitely give you more peace of mind. Comparing my initial off-road trail runs (without the lift) to my more recent ones (with the lift), the lift gives you that extra confidence that you're going to clear rocks and other obstacles that you would otherwise think twice about. And in terms of tires, any upgrade to an all terrain tire is going to automatically increase your off-road capability. Yes, maybe KO2s are a little on the heavy side, but if it's off roading that you're wanting to do, they will definitely be an upgrade from the stock Falkens. So just do you and don't pay attention to the nay-sayers!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well ya know, these are glorified cars mostly used as grocery getters and commuters by regular folks who live in areas with heavy winter snow, or they just like the style. These are not serious off-roaders and most people buying them realize that going in. Being a car platform, they don't lift well anyways. Just going to run the CV axles at a harsher angle and wear them out sooner, throw off the center of balance and the nice on-road driving dynamics this car has. Buuuut just like the backwards-baseball-cap subaru guys who find a way to crank up their cars and put ridiculous KO2s on them, there will always be somebody that wants to wreck the driveability of a perfectly good car and turn it into something lost in-between where its neither a good driving car on the road nor a good off road machine.

Its a free country, have fun! I'm just saying you shouldn't be surprised when not many people follow down that path :p
I definitely fall into the category of heavy winter snow use. Admittedly, I like the look as well. LOL :glasses:

I understand the point you make related to changing the angle of the CV axles. In honesty, I believe that's a fair point. To that end, kinda wondering if I just should have bought a Wrangler..... Oh well.

For what I want, primarily commuting through winter snow the Trailhawk has been outstanding. Especially with the addition of the Pirelli Scorpion's 225/65/17. If I'm not beating it up on trails I don't think a slight lift will be that bad. Also wouldn't mind doing the Cherokee Trailhawk Rim swap and running 235/60/17's.

Reactions: arudlang

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't have the Daystar 1.5" lift, but I have the American Trail Products 2" lift. I like the stance and will be looking to upgrade tires as soon as the original Falkens need replacing. I wouldn't pay much mind to what homeboy, arudlang, said. If you want to lift your MP, do it! Throw on the KO2s while you're at it! ...and do it all with a backwards-baseball-cap...that's the only way I drive my Compass. The jeep feels pretty much the same on-road, you just feel a little more like a badass bc you're sitting a little taller.

In terms of off-road, the lift is definitely give you more peace of mind. Comparing my initial off-road trail runs (without the lift) to my more recent ones (with the lift), the lift gives you that extra confidence that you're going to clear rocks and other obstacles that you would otherwise think twice about. And in terms of tires, any upgrade to an all terrain tire is going to automatically increase your off-road capability. Yes, maybe KO2s are a little on the heavy side, but if it's off roading that you're wanting to do, they will definitely be an upgrade from the stock Falkens. So just do you and don't pay attention to the nay-sayers!

If you get a chance, could you please post a pic? Would love to see what it looks like, especially with the 2" kit!

Not so much off roading, but having fun driving through the winter snow. As above mentioned, added Pirelli Scorpion 225/65/17's...Great improvement over the stock Falkens.

So you didn't really notice any major changes in drivability?

Maybe I can wear my baseball cap off to one side, not completely backwards as I have decent tires but no lift! LOL!!!

Reactions: arudlang

·
Registered
180 Posts
Both the teraflex and the daystar are body lifts, all the suspension geometry stays the same

·
Registered
180 Posts
I personally would just get a taller more aggressive tire, I follow some one on instagram that goes by misti.weir. She runs a 225/75/16 Cooper SST (29" dia tire) with some wheel spacers and easily gained clearance that your looking for

·
Registered
936 Posts
84z28 said:
Both the teraflex and the daystar are body lifts, all the suspension geometry stays the same
Maybe I missed something, I've watched the entire teraflex installation video a couple of times but don't own the kit myself. I don't think there is any issue in the back because it moves the diff and the carrier bearing down with everything, but I'm pretty sure you still have the issue in the front because if you put spacers on top of the struts to lower the wheels relative to the body and the transaxle stays put on its original mounts... that necessitates that the front CVs are now running at more of an angle than before, no?

This was a big issue with the second gen S10 Blazer's cheap lift kits (my previous vehicle). People would do a cheap body lift and then start going through CV axles on the regular.

I think the more conservative the lift the less issue, ie the 1.5" tereflex slightly less problematic than the 2" options, either way its not a lot. It typically goes hand-in-hand with larger, heavier tires though with increases the wear and tear on axles running at a harsher angle and that can add up to reliability issues as it did on our Blazers.

At least the Blazer had some power to spare for turning larger tires and a more proper solution if you had the money (suspension lift). The problem with putting a heavy 29" tire on this car is that it already has issues on the interstate with holding speed up hills and highway acceleration is already pretty meager, you cut into that as you up the weight of the tires and overall performance suffers on a car that doesn't have performance to spare (just my opinion). I passed a Fiat 500X this morning and figured "Sure, if you had this powerplant and drivetrain on that medium-sized car with its itty bitty tires it would drive around pretty good, but they put our larger heavier body on the same platform with larger heavier tires stock... it didn't scale super well in order to become 'American Sized'. "

Of course this is all just my opinion and also I am a curmudgeons, everyone else here already knows that except for bluestar but he'll catch on fast :p

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maybe I missed something, I've watched the entire teraflex installation video a couple of times but don't own the kit myself. I don't think there is any issue in the back because it moves the diff and the carrier bearing down with everything, but I'm pretty sure you still have the issue in the front because if you put spacers on top of the struts to lower the wheels relative to the body and the transaxle stays put on its original mounts... that necessitates that the front CVs are now running at more of an angle than before, no?

This was a big issue with the second gen S10 Blazer's cheap lift kits (my previous vehicle). People would do a cheap body lift and then start going through CV axles on the regular.

I think the more conservative the lift the less issue, ie the 1.5" tereflex slightly less problematic than the 2" options, either way its not a lot. It typically goes hand-in-hand with larger, heavier tires though with increases the wear and tear on axles running at a harsher angle and that can add up to reliability issues as it did on our Blazers.

At least the Blazer had some power to spare for turning larger tires and a more proper solution if you had the money (suspension lift). The problem with putting a heavy 29" tire on this car is that it already has issues on the interstate with holding speed up hills and highway acceleration is already pretty meager, you cut into that as you up the weight of the tires and overall performance suffers on a car that doesn't have performance to spare (just my opinion). I passed a Fiat 500X this morning and figured "Sure, if you had this powerplant and drivetrain on that medium-sized car with its itty bitty tires it would drive around pretty good, but they put our larger heavier body on the same platform with larger heavier tires stock... it didn't scale super well in order to become 'American Sized'. "

Of course this is all just my opinion and also I am a curmudgeons, everyone else here already knows that except for bluestar but he'll catch on fast :p
I completely agree, The Compass is way underpowered. Was thinking of possibly adding a K&N CAI and JMS Pedalmax throttle enhancer.

Also, if I did go with the Daystar 1.5 inch lift kit....How tall and wide of a tire could I get away with? Would like to be at least in the 235 area...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
From the Quadratec site related to the Daystar 1.5 inch Lift....I could run up to a 75 series tire/28.3 inches tall. Not sure about width though.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Another thought....There seems to be a lot more info and video's related to off roading and lifting the Jeep Renegade. Guessing it' because the Renegade has been out longer than the refreshed Compass.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Negative my friend, spacers for the front struts and subframe are to push the body up. All the geometry of the suspension stays the same.With those lifts you gain no extra ground clearance as the "drivetrain" is still below the lifting point, all you gain is wheel clearance. A true "Suspension Lift" will actually give you more ground clearance as you modifying the entire suspension

·
Registered
936 Posts
bluestar said:
Also, if I did go with the Daystar 1.5 inch lift kit....How tall and wide of a tire could I get away with? Would like to be at least in the 235 area...
The teraflex 1.5" kit advertises up to a 225/65R17 tire. To get to 235 you need spacers more than you need a lift, as you have issues with the lateral clearance on the strut towers before you have issues rubbing the fender well.

84z28 said:
Negative my friend, spacers for the front struts and subframe are to push the body up. All the geometry of the suspension stays the same.With those lifts you gain no extra ground clearance as the "drivetrain" is still below the lifting point, all you gain is wheel clearance. A true "Suspension Lift" will actually give you more ground clearance as you modifying the entire suspension
This weekend I (re)watched the install videos for both the teraflex and the daystar kit, and went over the parts lists. I was doing this because the Teraflex kit is pretty cheap on amazon right now, only $310, so I was looking it over pretty close (but ultimately did not buy).

Now for both of these kits, you are definitely running the front CV joints at a harsher angle. The kits drop the rear subframe, but not the front subframe. You basically get nothing but strut spacers in the front, which means your front wheels are dropping relative to the transaxle and therefor those axles are increasing their angle. If you need more proof, just look at step 10 in the Teraflex instructions, which actually have you CUT a chunk of metal off of your front struts to avoid it kissing the CV axle at full flex (with the swaybars disconnected).

Both of these kits are essentially hybrid lifts. The front portion I would call a true "suspension lift" because it DOES push down the front wheels, and nothing else. The oil pan and transmission go UP with the rest of the body, therefor suspension lift. Now in the back, they are putting spacers underneath the entire subframe so your rear diff lowers WITH your wheels and this portion I would call a "body lift" because the rear diff gains no extra clearance. It does keep the rear CV joints running at their original angle.

No subframe spacers in the front means CVs run at increased angle means those parts are at risk for increased wear and shortened life, period.

Its pretty clear these budget lifts are more for cosmetics than seriously helping you clear more obstacles (which is in keeping with the car itself I'd say, since it is a glorified car..) Otherwise they wouldn't drop the rear diff down and leave it in harms way. I wonder if its really necessary to do the spacers on the rear subframe. I mean, if its somewhat ok to run the front ones at more angle why not do the same with the rear? Keep that diff tucked up, right? Especially if you are only talking 1.5 inch or something, once you get to 2" or beyond obviously you are changing the CV angle quite a bit.

We know that the same tires fit either way, just above is one of many examples of people running a 29" tire with no lift. Its really only spacers you need to get to 29", but a little more wheel well clearance would be good still.

Its interesting stuff but it clearly doesn't amount to much. At least the price reflects that. Its all for fun anyways right but fun isn't in my current forecast. I probably get to spend $310 on stain for the house instead, it sounds like.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I personally would just get a taller more aggressive tire, I follow some one on instagram that goes by misti.weir. She runs a 225/75/16 Cooper SST (29" dia tire) with some wheel spacers and easily gained clearance that your looking for

Any idea what size the wheel spacers are? Thanks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The teraflex 1.5" kit advertises up to a 225/65R17 tire. To get to 235 you need spacers more than you need a lift, as you have issues with the lateral clearance on the strut towers before you have issues rubbing the fender well.
I would definitely like to go to a 235/65/17 tire. I have the 225's now and they look really thin to me. As above mentioned, any idea what size wheel spacer I would need?

This weekend I (re)watched the install videos for both the teraflex and the daystar kit, and went over the parts lists. I was doing this because the Teraflex kit is pretty cheap on amazon right now, only $310, so I was looking it over pretty close (but ultimately did not buy).

Now for both of these kits, you are definitely running the front CV joints at a harsher angle. The kits drop the rear subframe, but not the front subframe. You basically get nothing but strut spacers in the front, which means your front wheels are dropping relative to the transaxle and therefor those axles are increasing their angle. If you need more proof, just look at step 10 in the Teraflex instructions, which actually have you CUT a chunk of metal off of your front struts to avoid it kissing the CV axle at full flex (with the swaybars disconnected).

Both of these kits are essentially hybrid lifts. The front portion I would call a true "suspension lift" because it DOES push down the front wheels, and nothing else. The oil pan and transmission go UP with the rest of the body, therefor suspension lift. Now in the back, they are putting spacers underneath the entire subframe so your rear diff lowers WITH your wheels and this portion I would call a "body lift" because the rear diff gains no extra clearance. It does keep the rear CV joints running at their original angle.

No subframe spacers in the front means CVs run at increased angle means those parts are at risk for increased wear and shortened life, period.
Thanks for explaining the suspension geometry! Sounds like the front CV's would be taking most of the abuse....

Its interesting stuff but it clearly doesn't amount to much. At least the price reflects that. Its all for fun anyways right but fun isn't in my current forecast.
That's really all it is, just playing around with it and having some fun. My little Trailhawk will never be a JK Rubicon. LOL!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sooooo, how about running wheel spacers and a 235/70/17? Do you guy's think that would work?

·
Registered
936 Posts
I think the biggest we have heard of here without a lift is the 235/65R17, probably with 1.25" spacers, but I cannot confirm any of that would need to dig through the forum and do some googling. I have it stuck in my head that everyone has maxed out around 29" tall and 9.5" wide, and it seems like the spacers have been the make-or-break key but the smaller lifts still help clearance for mud and snow/ice that can build up in the fenderwells. Like I said, would need to do some digging to see what others have claimed worked for them.

I say claimed because there are a lot of people out there who live in denial. They want to make something work through sheer willpower, so they will come on here and be like "eyyyy I fut sum 255/55R18 on muy 2018 sport, kno rubbin at all!" and to those people, I pretty much just:

I mean seriously, people will say something works and when they hear the sound of the tire ripping out the fender liner they just turn up the radio and ignore it, and/or they will train themselves to never use the steering at full lock and pretend like thats OK. Have to take everything on the internet with a grain of salt. Take two grains for anything I say, I'm still rolling on my original stock tires and wheels and have never tried any of it myself so far.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts