My Jeep Compass Forum banner

Dealer with issues

5K views 9 replies 2 participants last post by  tripplec 
#1 ·
Completely true story.

On Wednesday 8/7/13, I visited a local vendor to look at a 2007 Compass. It was a very stripped down model with manual transmission, about 80k miles, manual windows and locks but with 4x4. The vehicle had no rust anywhere and the interior was spotless. I needed a good commuter since I started a job requiring 110 miles a day and live in upstate NY and have snow to deal with. There was a popping noise in the front end so I was worried about the control arms or tie rods. Salesman agreed to have it checked and fixed before pickup, so I signed the sales agreement and paid a deposit. Pickup scheduled for Friday 8/9.

On Friday 8/9 as I was getting ready to drive to the dealer for pickup, I received a call from the salesman stating that when checking the front end, they discovered structural damage to the frame at the rear of the vehicle caused by rust. Dealer pulled the vehicle back as a no sell. As of today (8/23) I am still trying to get the deposit back.

After looking around for a couple of weeks, I had not found anything else that I liked. Started looking for end of year 2013 Compass specials and wound up back at the same dealer. They had the only base model in the area left. Went to negotiate price on Tuesday of this week but left without reaching agreement on price. Finally got the dealer talking on Wednesday, so went back and test drove the vehicle. During the test drive I mentioned I wished the Compass was the Cherry Red instead of the Black that they had.

When we got back to the dealership and started working up the price, the salesman asked me to look at another Compass parked on the lot. Said it was the exact same vehicle (manual trans, 4x4, electric windows and locks, AC) except in the red color I wanted. It was previously sold, but they could not get the financing. I looked at it briefly, but didn't test drive it. As they were writing up the sales agreement, they hit me with a $300 up charge due to some minor difference between the two. It was worth it to me to get the color I wanted, so I didn't fight it.

Got home and started setting up the insurance. When I entered the VIN, it came up as a FWD. I was very upset at this point. I can understand errors occur, but when the salesman charged me more for a FWD with a smaller engine than the one I tested I felt cheated. I will take part of the blame for not actually checking the vehicle myself but still think this is their error.

On Thursday, they changed the agreement back to the 4x4 version and corrected the price. I had a long discussion with the sales manager and they took another $500 off the price plus cut an additional $300 off the extended warranty. Pick it up in the morning and then plan to run as far as possible from this vendor. Can't walk away from the deal because I am getting $5,000 of list.

Wish me luck with the pickup and I hope the Compass is more reliable than the dealer. :p

See less See more
#2 ·
LOL

Not surprised at all.

So in the end. Is it a 4x4? What engine is it. I would not compromise on those points. You'll need the 4x4 for sure being on the road in that area.

It all should be in the agreement listing the vehicle details.

#3 ·
It is now sitting in my drive way (have to clean out the garage before winter ;) ).

It is the 4x4 with 2.4L engine. I agree I have to have the 4x4 with all the winter driving I have to do and no I would not have gone through the with purchase of the FWD regardless.

I test drove what I wanted, the dealer just pulled a switch after the test drive. I now have the one I test drove, just wish it wasn't black.

#4 ·
It a good combo but I don't like black either. Too hot and to dirty all the time and dark IMO anyway.

But that was bad tactic. The dealer could have searched for one in the area and brought it in. That is the norm.

Good luck

#5 ·
I checked my self and there are no vehicles that match this in a 250 mile radius. Being a 2013, they are moving fast with the $3000 cash back deal. There were several with the CVT, but I don't like the CVT and it would have cost more.

#6 ·
Ok looking at your signature you've got the good power train in a manual transmission. If you're happy driving a manual great its going to be more reliable than the CVT and a lot cheaper to service.

From my experiences thus far. Seal leaks are common so keep on top of that and watch for them while in warranty. If you have even the slights brake issues take it in (squeak, screech when backing in mornings). The cheap pads cause this. 20k warranty on many items such as brakes MAX. Check you manual so don't ignore or it will cost you and not them.

#7 ·
Thanks for the advice. I did opt for the 5 year 100k warranty, but the pads / rotors are obviously not covered. Have about 225 miles on it now (18 when I picked it up Sat). Have two complaints already.

First, the driver seat is squeaking and driving me crazy.

Second, I noticed on the rough road I commute on there was a click or pop noise in the driver side front wheel every time I hit a bump. Just one pop each medium bump. It only made this noise for a short stretch of road and there are areas with the same size bump where it didn't make the noise. Will have to monitor closely.

#8 ·
That can be a lot of thinks. These front ends were notorious for wearing out very very quickly. I had hoped they'd fix that be 2009 and it is better than the earlier years but maybe your build is poorer quality parts. Its a certainly a nusance. I know i was into the dealer so often they new me. At least two that is and that is not a good thing. You'd expect a new vehicle to be reliable and not wear out during warranty but all hell was breaking loose and I had the time to force the issue and have it resolve although many problems to so many return trips. My old Grand Cherokee does not give me any such troubles LOL.

Good luck that warranty will likely pay for itself.

#9 ·
I knew it would pay for itself. It only cost me $1,000 ($.01 per mile). Something will break before the 100k mark that will eat that up in a hurry.

I have a 98 Cherokee that I am selling now. Has 160k on it and the only problem I have with it is what the rust eats off. Would keep it, but the rust is relentless at eating away at it. Only had it for three years, so the damage was done before I bought it.

#10 ·
Rust kill some good vehicles. I have a bit on mine. Trying to keep it at bay so to speak. Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.