My Jeep Compass Forum banner

Difference between 4wd switch and off road gear?

14K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  rmax524 
#1 ·
This is probably a very silly question, but I can't find a decent explanation anywhere.

I've got a limited '12 with the freedom drive 2.

I'm entirely new to 4wd and jeeps, so I'm very willing to accept some jabs over this.

Thanks!

#2 ·
They are two different things but are related to eachother. The 4wd switch simply locks your front and rear wheel drive to a 50/50 power ratio. When unlocked the jeep is AWD and the ratio changes based on road & driving conditions.

The off road gear is activated when you lock it in 4wd i.e 50/50 and put it in L or R, then the lower gear kicks in and gives you the "off road Gear"

#5 ·
Well you learn or try and figure it out over time or sit back with a suitable beverage in hand and go through the owners manual. Yes, I always have and find out things I never would otherwise and that's new and used vehicles.

#6 ·
CVT FDII off roading

What FDII Off-Road means is the overrated snowmobile CVT pulleys stay at a 19:1 crawl ratio that allow you to keep the engine at a relatively low rpm and crawl over your obstacle instead of having the over rev the engine and spin the tires losing traction. Basically it's like have a low range transfer box without actually having one like what's on any other 4x4 truck.

The 5 speed manual transmission does not have this option unfortunately. I would be the one revving my engine and spinning my tires because there is not low range transfer case.

One thing you might want to know as well is how to turn traction control off. You should have a ESC switch. If you hit it once the Electric Stability Control turns off and if you hold it for 5 seconds you will hear a chime and hear the light on the dash comes on that tells you it's off. You have to be at a stop to activate that option but can be turned off at any speed. At 35 mph the ESC will automatically turn back on though.

GO OUT AND HAVE SOME FUN!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.