My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why are there 2 different types of bulbs for this? Aren't they the same? I'm not talking about the side marker lights.

On my 2016 Compass, the front turn signal bulb also functions as my daytime running lights, so why are there 2 different bulbs for this?

·
Registered
272 Posts
The turn signal bulb shouldn't function as a DRL. I don't think they're supposed to either. Typically the high beam would be able to run two separate levels of brightness and will function as a DRL and highbeam.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Now that's the part that doesn't make sense to me though. DRL lights would turn off as soon as your low-beam is activated so it seems that your turn signals are functioning as parking lights + turn signals.

When your light switch is in the off-position, and you start the vehicle without the emergency brake applied, is it only the turn signals that are illuminated?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When it's in the off position, I believe all of my lights are off. I'm away from home so I won't be able to check anytime soon. In this case, what should be the daytime running lights? I don't see how it could be the high beam at a lower brightness. Do you have a Compass?

·
Registered
213 Posts
When it's in the off position, I believe all of my lights are off. I'm away from home so I won't be able to check anytime soon. In this case, what should be the daytime running lights? I don't see how it could be the high beam at a lower brightness. Do you have a Compass?
On my 2014 Compass, yes, the high beams are the DRLs and there are no separate bulbs for that function. The high beams light up at 1/3 normal wattage as DRLs. This is a Canadian market vehicle so it's possible that they are different in other markets. In Canada, all vehicles have DRLs (since 1989), most use the high beam bulbs at lower wattage, some use separate small bulbs.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For your vehicle, are the high beam and DRL bulbs the same or different? In the US and Mexico, the Compass has amber DRLs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts