My Jeep Compass Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts
A leak is a leak. Doesn't matter if the tire is old, new, big, small, it must SEAL all the way around the rim on both sides and it doesn't take much to cause a leak if everything is not just right when they mount them. Valve stems can leak too but *shouldn't* be leaking this early on new rims. If the tire shop didn't get them mounted right and one or more is leaking then go back to them and demand that they fix it, simple as that.

Put it this way, there is certainly nothing you can do at this point. You are going to need the tire shop to address the leak, because you are not going to be equipped to deal with such a thing. I would recommend you DO NOT try to cop out by pumping any kind of "Fix-a-flat" leak sealant product into your rims. For one thing, that stuff practically never works. For another, it creates a huge nasty mess for the tire shop guys, and third, it could gum up your TPMS sensors. Just take it back to the shop and tell them its still leaking and let them do their thing. They will probably dismount it, clean the beads, and put it back on quick and you will be good to go.

Remember, it is not unusual for pressure in the tires to be different from day to day, they change with temperature even while driving they can change a few PSI and that is normal. But if you are having to add air all the time, that is not normal.

You are right, I’ll go back to the tire shop and ask them to fix it. I thought maybe since it was on the drivers side and I usually drive alone that they will leak more air than the others on the passenger side...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want to stick with my stock rims but I have the 18 inch rims and I am finding this limits the availability of a lot of nice tires for me vs 17 inch. Michelin doesn't event make the defender LTX in my stock size, just the next size up (which would still fit).

I am now leaning kinda towards some Geolandar A/T G015 225/55/R18 since they are 3PMSF rated (better than M/S), a bit cheaper than the defenders, and to be honest they just look better. I dig the aggressive tread pattern that blends into the sidewall. Not sure if this is a bonus or not, but they actually make the Geolandar in the stock size so if I'm sticking with that, then that is also a plus.

The next size up Geolandar G015 is much taller, more than an inch, not sure I would get away with that because there is hardly any clearance on the rear tires at the back of the passenger doors... nope I'll prolly just have to stick with stock size and as nobrake said maybe in the future by the time I wear these out there may be a nice minor lift kit available. That would be more appropriate for us anyways, we try to keep things close to stock until the warranty is out or almost out.

These are the tires our Limited came with: Continental ProContact TX They don't rate well in TireRack's reviews, especially not in the winter performance and thats a kicker for us living here in northern Minnesota. Also no way we are going to try to take these worthless donuts up into Snoquamie pass in the mountains in winter.

I still think the Michelin Defender LTX would have been a good all around tire, for a high-end passenger tire, but I think I'm willing to take a small hit in noise, tread life, and dry handling/ride in order to have an all-terrain tire with a superior snow rating. These Geolandars look like they are about as good as it gets before you slip into full on dedicated snow tire territory, and I just don't want to deal with storing a second set of tires and having them punched on and off twice a year.
I just bought: Mopar 18" Granite Crystal Wheel - Jeep Compass

Part # 82214667AC CAST ALUMINUM - WHEEL $147.68 4 $590.72

Subtotal: $590.72
Estimated Shipping: $95.01
Total: $685.73

and

4 Yokohama Geolandar At G015 - P225/55r18
US $682.83 Free Shipping

off of eBay. They should be here by the end of the week. I'll post pics once they are on the Jeep. Did you get the Geolander AT's? How did they work for you?

Discussion starter · #43 ·
katrinacop said:
Did you get the Geolander AT's? How did they work for you?
Still sliding around on the stockers, the wife has to get new tires first =D I have been continuing the research off and on though, and I'm still certain there is nothing better for those of us with an 18 inch rim as far as traction goes. Post back your review of them after initial impressions and then after a few hundred miles!

Has there been any information about re-calibrating the speedometer in a compass dug up yet? I'm looking at a combo that would likely have me more than 5mph over stock, and that will throw off my MPG calculations also.

Discussion starter · #45 ·
Stumpy said:
Has there been any information about re-calibrating the speedometer in a compass dug up yet? I'm looking at a combo that would likely have me more than 5mph over stock, and that will throw off my MPG calculations also.
I haven't done it myself but I see options in AlfaOBD that allow changing the car's set tire circumference, which presumably is used to calculate MPH and everything else so adjusting that seems like it should do it. It will also allow adjusting the final drive ratio it looks like, which I assume is also used in those calculations so potentially tweaking that might work too. Like I said, never tried it myself and haven't heard of anyone who has but seems like one of these options in AlfaOBD should do the trick. If you have a great working relationship with your service department they should be able to program that too but they probably won't want to.

I ran oversized 225/75/16s on my old Patriot. That's about as big as one can go without a lift. I have a Garmin and it tells me my speed so it wasn't a problem. Yes, if you go by the EVIC the MPG will be OTL. For that matter even calculating it yourself will be impossible. However if you go to a tire website they usually have a tire size calculator and you can figure in the % oversize you are running when you calculate and get an accurate figure.

I'm too scared to try AlphaOBD. Buy the software, buy the "double bypass" wires, buy the colored adapters, get a bypass module...and possibly screw up your car. It looks amazing and risky.

I calculate speedometer formulas in a spreadsheet. (dashboard MPH)/(original tire diameter)*(new tire diameter)=actual MPH. 60/28*30=64.28

Going from a 28" tire to a 30" tire will have me going 64-65 when the dash says 60. My exact tire would be more than 6.5mph faster (9%), and that's too far off for my liking. Ugg. I might try AlphaOBD anyway.

Discussion starter · #48 ·
You can try having a chat with your dealership service guys first. They regularly change tire circumference setting for Wrangler guys so it doesn't seem totally out of the realm of possibility that they would do it for your Compass.

I hate it when I’m more knowledgeable and/or passionate about my car than the guy running the service department. It happens a lot. Here are two suggestions I found on forums for getting the dealer to adjust your tire circumference. I have no idea if they work:

1>“USUALLY, the dealer can correct for tire size with in a specific degree. In the scan tool it is called a ‘Pinion Angle Adjustment’. Nothing to do with adjusting the pinion angle, but that is the sub-menu when the tire size adjustment can be made.”

2>“The dealer can change the tire size of any FCA vehicle with a micropod in CDA. It's in the proxy under revs/mile. Just take the number that's in the proxy and multiply it by 72/70 or 70/72. Whichever way you're off, then click write.”

41 - 49 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.