My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

I was just wondering, as I wasn't given a straight answer from the dealer, does anyone know if I don't do the service through Chrysler (eg: oil changes and stuff) if it voids the warranty? My dad owns a mechanic shop so it makes no sense for me to pay so much for oil changes and servicing at Chrysler, when I trust my family will do just as good a job for cheaper. I asked them about it and they were pretty adament on getting the service through them, for obvious reasons, but is it really necessary? If I keep all documentation of the service done, can this really void the warranty if something goes wrong later on? They didn't say it would and they didn't say it wouldn't :S

Appreciate all the info.

Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi there. The way I understand it is if you follow their service interval times and do the service yourself or get someone else to do it, keeping the receipts, there shouldn't be a problem. I had a new hyundai a couple years back, and it even has a do it yourself section in the owners manual. It really depends on what breaks down and if it's something that's included in the recommended service and you didn't have the work done, then they probably won't cover it.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I do my oil changes myself at home (I can usually do them myself for about $10 - $11 because I buy the oil filter from the dealer and get the oil for free using Canadian Tire Money).

No, it shouldn't be an issue. Just be sure that you have all the receipts in case they ask.[/u]

·
Registered
360 Posts
No you can service it anywhere. Just keep your reciepts & make sure you follow the time intervals in the Owners Manual - Not the Service Manual.
(The Service Manual usually tries to get you to change your oil earlier than required in the Owners Manual)

·
Registered
208 Posts
You can expect a fight, but in reality they should not be able to.

I would use THEIR recommended filter - the actual brand not a knock off, and the oil grade they recommend.

as well, document, I would in fact keep the old filter and write in jiffy marker the kms or miles it was changed at. Retain receipts as well.

I persoanlly know a guy who got owned by subaru when he popped a motor in his legacy. They didn't honor anything since he did the oil changes in his driveway and had no proof of anything. He may have a legal avenue, but why give yourself the heartache. Keep your records or hit the dealer for service.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Outside service

In my opinion you would be smart to do the first oil change/inspection at the dealer according to their recommendion *ie: after first 5000Kms. Inso doing atleast there will be no questions concerning the warantee. Later your family garage is fine, but you should stay in touch as dealerx sometimes get recalls that they do no charge when you come in for regular service.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Isn't the company supposed to send me information regarding recalls in the mail?

Maybe I will bring it the first time, since they have to fix that bubbling in the decal beside the windows anyway...

I was definitely going to keep all documentation and follow what it says in the manual, already read it all. My dad said something about them having to stamp the book to show what was done and when so it's legit.

I think the dealer is just saying it has to be from a Chrysler dealership because that's where they make their money.

Thanks for the info :)

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
mcatenacci, what problem are you referring to when you mention the bubbling in the decals around the window? Just very curious to see if it might be similar to mine.

I don't know what material it is they use for that black trim like where the rear door handle is, but in the heat, mine seems to shrink. I have heard of heatshrink, but would never have thought someone would use that on the outside of a vehicle.

I noticed it last weekend when I was washing the car, I could see the glue line where this stuff, whatever it is, used to be. If you or anyone else knows, the info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It looks to me like a sticker... the bubbling I'm referring to was there since the beginning... its just a small bubble about the size of a penny. Basically it's similar to when tint is put on windows on a car and it's not done properly so you notice an air bubble sort of thing? Well I guess this "sticker" part was not put on properly because an air bubble was left inside on both sides of the car. I tried pushing it out, but no luck.

Your problem could be due to a lot of heat, maybe it's melting the glue?? Whatever it is, I don't like this part on my Compass, I'd rather they just left the paint there then instead of the black sticker trim. I have a feeling it's not going to last in the long run, but a lot of vehicles have it now. I wonder if there is paint under that sticker, I hope so!!

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
I have to agree, I don't like it either, and that was what I was thinking, too, that the heat is melting the glue, but in answer to your question, yes, there is paint under there, same color as the car. Like you, a textured paint of some type would have been much better is my thought. It would stand up better and last longer than this sticky stuff. Hopefully, it will only shrink to a certain point and stop there, because I will contact Jeep customer service to have it fixed. I didn't pay this much money to have little problems like this, and sure as heck not after 7 months! Thanks for the help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts