My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Im planning on dropping my tranny pan changing the filter and change the fluid. I got the filter off of RockAuto and Mopar CVT fluid off of ebay (1 gallon jug and 2 1 quart bottles). I'm attempting if cuz my boss who has the same Compass did his and has the dip stick that I can borrow.
So far his tips have been: measure what comes out and put that back in and (was told to him by the service manager at the dealership when he bought his fluid) because they use the computer to tell the temp of the fluid amd use the chart to figure out the right amount to have inside was "to drive the vehicle for up to a hour to get the fluid to its hottest temp then go by the chart".
He did his 55k miles ago and had no issues with his tranny.

Any other tips?

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
It would appear to be very volume sensitive!!! I don't know what type of containers you're going to use to measure that much with accuracy to within a few ounces.

Capturing it by dropping the pan usually involves spiling and or loosing some fluid.
Tips, talk to the boss again and again and don't screw up!!

These have to be the most expensive transmissions on any vehicle such as they are over priced. I know the fluid is expensive and there are some things that and very experience mechanic should handle in my opinion. Heh I am game for doing my own work whenever I can but there are some things I won't tackle.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
I have to agree with tripplec, the CVT is not a transmission in the conventional sense. I'm used to doing my own service as well, fluid/filter change but with the Compass, I left that type of service to the dealership but good luck, definitely let us know how it goes!

- Cherokee

1 - 3 of 3 Posts