My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an unusual problem where there is a small amount of water dripping from the interior roof lights. The car alarm went off because of the ingress of water so I have the middle light with the alarm sensors hanging out and a towel pushed up into the roof lining. We had, unusually, very low temperature of -16 c and 8" of snow, which is low for Ireland, and that is also a lot of snow for us. I think that the car aerial, which is a stumpy located at the rear of the roof is leaking.
Aw well sure it's me birthday today so I'm off tay the pub for a few, and sure I'll worry about it tomorrow.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well, Happy Birthday!! :smile:

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Well Happy belated Birthday to ya! Sucks to hear about the water leak, you gonna take it in? Keep us posted!

- Cherokee

·
Registered
80 Posts
Do you happen to have a sunroof? I've seen numerous posts where the sunroof leaks, and then water gets into the interior lights. I believe this was on older models. You might want to search this site for posts on this issue. If you don't have a sunroof, I don't know what to tell you. We have had record snow fall here in Minnesota during December, including one 17 inch snow, and a 7 inch snow, and I haven't noticed any water. My jeep sits outside, 24/7.

Hope you had a great birthday.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The thaws on

Hey, hanx everyone for the birthday wishes. :)
European Compass's don't have sunroof's, and their radio aerials are a stumpy mounted at the rear of the roof. (as seen in attached thumbnail pic) I think, to use a local phrase, there is a little "Frost Heave", where water has got under the aerial base and has frozen, lifting the aerial slightly allowing the water to penetrate, as we now have a thaw and rain. I'll wait untill it dries to rectify the problem myself.
The last 2 pics are the rest of my fleet, and the last pic is the reason why the other 2 sit outside :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Sounds like you have the problem pretty well figured out. You going to have to replace the aerial or just re-seal it? Cool pics BTW, thanks for sharing them! :)

- Cherokee

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like you have the problem pretty well figured out. You going to have to replace the aerial or just re-seal it? Cool pics BTW, thanks for sharing them! :)

- Cherokee
Naw, I'll fix it meself. Garage is 30min drive away and would probably make a bollix of it, so I may as well do it. Any ways, I trained as an auto electrician many years ago, so I learned how to pull a car interior apart quite professionally. I'll probably just reseal it so.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hello! I've read your post a couple of days ago. Today it's been a bit warm here in Quebec. So I also discovered some water dripping from the map and the dome lights.

So I went to the Jeep dealer and found out that it's a service bulletin. The drains of the sunroof are defective. I know that you don't have a sunroof but I thought I might share this with y'all.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Update on R17 AFF progress

Well we had a dry day today, so I dropped the roof lining and got in with a 10mm socket and tightened the aerial.
All I need is some rain to test it. Being Norn Iron, that won't take long. lets hope it's a success.
Yes before ye's start, I remembered to remove the towel.
I also noticed that the torch in the rear light wasn't work'n, so I took it apart and cleaned the contact on the battery, and now it's nice and shiney.:)

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Did it work raff? No more leak I hope!

- Cherokee

1 - 11 of 11 Posts