My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After changing my brakes, replacing rotors and pads, I began having problems with brake dust and squealing. I removed and rechecked things, now with rotor and brakes showing wear but only on drivers side. Having made sure to lube the bolts the caliper slide on, my current theory is leading me to the stainless steel stamped shims that the pads themselves slide on or possibly a bad hose as the caliper seems to be moving freely with only pressure from me squeezing it to move it.

Any ideas or solutions out there? At the moment it's my only issue and it's ticking me off!!!!! ;-)

thx, Bill

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
You might want to get a different brand of Pads. Brake dust that is highly visible is an indication of soft pads (meterial used is softer). It offers less heat and rotor wear. But requires more frequent replacement. There are a number of manufactures that only use them and Mercedes is one of them. They are famous for dusty rims because of this.

Squealing is likely the pad not wearing into the rotor (old rotor or if a new one was used). Once is sets in it should stop but sometimes its just a bad match.

You could try Ceramic pads and see how they work out. They not expensive and I have a set on the rear wheels for a while now. The OEM's really squealed when backing up when cold for the first few applications. But forward was never a problem.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts