My Jeep Compass Forum banner

Electrical issues

11K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  mercedes.ferrer 
#1 ·
I may have an electrical issue with my 2018 Compass bought in 2019 new. When I purchased it, it was sitting on the dealers showroom floor. The door would not open because the battery was dead. They tried to jump start it but had to replace not only a battery but also the alternator. About one year ago I noticed the stop/start function stop working. I just ignored it. Now, I just returned from a 5 month trip and the car wouldn't start. I called emergency road service and they got it started but I also had them tow it to the dealership to find out what is wrong. I'm thinking of trading this car.

#3 ·
Thanks. I really like my Compass. Very comfortable and gets my german shepherd's bark of approval. The Infotainment radio had to be replaced within the first year because of a "delamination of screen from the unit". It was covered under warranty and has been fine since then. The dealership is bugging me to exchange it for a new one and I'm giving that some thought to go into a '22. Time will tell!

#5 ·
...Now, I just returned from a 5 month trip and the car wouldn't start...
If it sat for five months without being, started or on a trickle charger, I'm not surprised it wouldn't start. Modern cars are constantly drawing a small amount of current even when off.

The owners manual recommends disconnecting the battery if the vehicle will not be used for a month.

Reactions: Jasmine
#7 ·
The Jeep compasses are known for their battery problems. From what I read online a lot of this has to do with the Intelligent Battery Sensor (IBS). This is a fairly complicated system where the alternator only charges the battery when needed. The system tries to keep the battery between 70% and 80% of charge to improve battery and alternator life by 10%-20%. In my opinion the system is badly designed and far too complicated. When you do a lot of short trips or let the car sit for a while the alternator cannot restore the battery enough and it keeps going lower and lower. When it goes somewhere under 70% of charge the start/stop system stops working to preserve the battery. One solution might be to disconnect the IBS sensor which is attached to the negative battery terminal. If you disconnect the sensor the alternator will always charge the battery with 14.5v while driving instead of fluctuating the voltage according to the need determined by the sensor.

#9 ·
Most similar with mine jeep automatic 2019 happened,and we found it was a rat syndrome. One of the charging cables been bitten by a rat. Later I had to change my battery as it was dead.
It's so simple we have to disconnect the battery when we don't use the car for a longer duration.

#11 ·
If you need any additional support with your concerns, jquebby, feel welcome to message us.

Steph
Jeep Cares

#12 ·
I have a 2020 jeep and have had my jeep for 3 years now at 50k miles. Just recently my car stopped working and wouldn't turn now. I had my car towed to the dealership for diagnostics. They stated that the car battery and push start both died. It was a very sudden thing I went to work just fine came out and my car is dead. To replace the battery and push start it cost me about $800. A week later my radio and led screen started acting up. My led touch screen and jumping up and down I can't use it. This will cost me at minimum $400 they said. My lights near my gear shift is also acting up. The dealership is trying to get me to trade in my vehicle for a new one. My problem here is that my car is only 3 years old and showing to many signs of manufacturing problems that are no longer ger covered under warranty. Why buy a new car with no guarantee of the same if not worse issues. I'll get a new car but it needs to last like omg this is crazy.

#13 ·
Hi c.I

We're sorry to hear about the overall experience with your Jeep Compass. If you still need assistance with the Uconnect radio, please feel welcome to send us more details via PM and we can look into it for you.

Steph
Jeep Cares

#14 ·
I have a 2020 jeep and have had my jeep for 3 years now at 50k miles. Just recently my car stopped working and wouldn't turn now. I had my car towed to the dealership for diagnostics. They stated that the car battery and push start both died. It was a very sudden thing I went to work just fine came out and my car is dead. To replace the battery and push start it cost me about $800. A week later my radio and led screen started acting up. My led touch screen and jumping up and down I can't use it. This will cost me at minimum $400 they said. My lights near my gear shift is also acting up. The dealership is trying to get me to trade in my vehicle for a new one. My problem here is that my car is only 3 years old and showing to many signs of manufacturing problems that are no longer ger covered under warranty. Why buy a new car with no guarantee of the same if not worse issues. I'll get a new car but it needs to last like omg this is crazy.
I am having a similar issue now with my 2020 Jeep compass.

#15 ·
Welcome! If you read the above posts, you have a pretty good idea of what's wrong and what to do. Most likely the auxiliary battery failed and took down the service battery -- sort of an electrical domino-effect. Granted, this is a Compass weak point. I've already replaced my batteries once -- around 2 years/50,000 miles IIRC. I've since moved to a part of the state where the temperatures are less harsh, so I hope to squeeze another year out of this set of batteries. I'm now in the 120s so this set is already doing better than the originals.

#19 ·
As a owner of a new Compass electrical issues are probably my biggest worry. I hope by keeping it on a smart charger my stock battery's will last. For preventing wire damage I saw where Peppermint oil sprayed under the hood and on little sponges soaked placed around, helps keeps rodents away.