My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
I am intrigued. Normally I would be pretty averse to a 1.3L engine in a buggy like this, but I have experience with a 2011 vehicle I used to drive that was tiny N/A 4 cylinder + electric motor, and it performed for all intents and purposes just like I had a V6 (when the battery was charged).

30 miles of electric range would allow me to do my daily work commute with no gas, and then when we road trip the 1.3L turbo should net 30 MPG trips pretty easy I would assume.

Very interesting. The plot thickens. Just the other day the wife and I were out looking at the new Chevy Blazer RS, and the Cadillac XT4, and even the GMC Terrain. Those are all pretty darn expensive compared to what we paid for the Compass, though. Will be fun to keep an eye on this one.

·
Registered
398 Posts
the 2.4l can already get over 30mpg (i get 36)
30mile electric range is laughable, in a cold winter it would be closer to 15.
You need to travel below the advertised speed limit in many states to get MGP above 30. Which is dangerous and is shown to more crashes that going at or even slightly above advertised speed.

And in the end, it is a hybrid,it will improve your city MPG more than highway. You probably, at max, can make ~23mpgs during city driving, with this system, you can bring that upto 36mpg as well, so your combine mpg will be ~36mpg.. so electric range being 30miles doesn't matter all that much. That 30 miles is not designed for you to cruise at 50mph for 30 miles ( I am not even sure the system will let you go that fast with electricity alone), it designed to saves gas when you are in traffic jam or going slow. You can spend 45 mins on a 10 mile stretch of road and with this system, you wont spend a drop of gas. When considering this 30mile range, you needs to think how much of your drive is below 35mph. So, there wont be many cases that you would need to spend all 30 mins worth of electricity in a single stretch. As it is an hybrid, it can also charge the battery to some extend during driving.

And yet my back and forward compute is ~12 miles and max speed is 30MPH, this would be a great gas saver for me.

·
761 Posts
The people who come up with these hybrid ideas live in cities so it makes good sense to them. What works in Chicago is laughable in Arizona; what works inside the beltway is idiocy even 50 miles away in the mountains.
@Tripod the cause of speed-related accidents is speed variance. There are many situations where the flow of traffic is well in excess of the posted limits. The question here is, who's causing the variance -- the law-observing driver or the majority of speeders?

A friend had a solution: Take down all the speed limit signs, measure the speed of traffic, and post the average as the limit. Exceptions would only be where hazards might not be obvious.

Back in the 1970s when the speed limits dropped to the old "double-nickel" I heard a state official being interviewed on the radio. He said in the year since the speed limit had dropped to 55 there had not been a single fatality in that state where both vehicles were traveling at or below the speed limit and all occupants were wearing their seat belts. Lower speed limits save gas and save lives. Think how much less expensive cars would be without air bags! And how much technology could be eliminated if we all drove 55! STM, the biggest problems with our Compasses seem to be related to the manufacturer trying to cope with CAFE standards and safety.

·
Registered
398 Posts
@Tripod the cause of speed-related accidents is speed variance. There are many situations where the flow of traffic is well in excess of the posted limits. The question here is, who's causing the variance -- the law-observing driver or the majority of speeders?

A friend had a solution: Take down all the speed limit signs, measure the speed of traffic, and post the average as the limit. Exceptions would only be where hazards might not be obvious.

Back in the 1970s when the speed limits dropped to the old "double-nickel" I heard a state official being interviewed on the radio. He said in the year since the speed limit had dropped to 55 there had not been a single fatality in that state where both vehicles were traveling at or below the speed limit and all occupants were wearing their seat belts. Lower speed limits save gas and save lives. Think how much less expensive cars would be without air bags! And how much technology could be eliminated if we all drove 55! STM, the biggest problems with our Compasses seem to be related to the manufacturer trying to cope with CAFE standards and safety.
And in Germany they achieve far less crashes without any upper speeds limits, compared to any other developed country. I think the main issue with US is not the speed limits but poor lane discipline. People travel at different speeds at different lanes, which causes large speed variance within the same lane. It is true that the main cause of accidents is speed variance and the reason for that is number of accidents is directly proportional to the number of times two cars traveling on the same lane pass next to each other (let that be a divided or multi-lane road). Traveling below speed limits makes this even worse because majority of the cars on the road will actual try to pass you, whereas if you traveled or slightly above speed limit, you would be moving with the traffic with less "passing" occurring. So, higher speed variance increase the times two cars pass each other and that increase the chance of a crash, but traveling slower makes it even worse because than you have higher speed variance to everybody.

·
761 Posts
Traveling below speed limits makes this even worse because majority of the cars on the road will actual try to pass you, whereas if you traveled or slightly above speed limit, you would be moving with the traffic with less "passing" occurring.
So the answer is to raise speed limits and raise minimum speeds. But no matter what the speed limit is, people will always set their cruise on a couple miles higher. I frequently travel on I-93 north of Concord where the speed limit is 70. At 70 I only pass vehicles that are entering or exiting, or maybe a truck on a hill, but I am passed frequently.

Oh, about Germany, do they have deer and moose that wander onto the highway? I fear animals more than other drivers, regardless of their speed. Deer can spring out of the brush and onto the highway in an instant. Moose move slower but unless there's snow for a backdrop they are invisible at night, so half the year your headlights will only tell you how many feet you have left to live a normal life, or live at all.

Hit a deer = wreck your car.
Hit a moose = wreck your life.

For further reading: https://newengland.com/today/living/new-england-environment/brake-for-moose/

PS, I wonder if driverless cars can compensate for animals on the run, or can compensate for over-riding headlights?

·
Registered
398 Posts
So the answer is to raise speed limits and raise minimum speeds. But no matter what the speed limit is, people will always set their cruise on a couple miles higher. I frequently travel on I-93 north of Concord where the speed limit is 70. At 70 I only pass vehicles that are entering or exiting, or maybe a truck on a hill, but I am passed frequently.

Oh, about Germany, do they have deer and moose that wander onto the highway? I fear animals more than other drivers, regardless of their speed. Deer can spring out of the brush and onto the highway in an instant. Moose move slower but unless there's snow for a backdrop they are invisible at night, so half the year your headlights will only tell you how many feet you have left to live a normal life, or live at all.

Hit a deer = wreck your car.
Hit a moose = wreck your life.

For further reading: https://newengland.com/today/living/new-england-environment/brake-for-moose/

PS, I wonder if driverless cars can compensate for animals on the run, or can compensate for over-riding headlights?
As far as I know, they dont have moose in Germany, its southern most range is around Poland. But they have deer for sure, there are videos of people hitting deer at Nurburgring track, so it must be widespread. Though the autobahn is fenced and they have wildlife bridges, so animals cant and dont need to cross the road.

https://www.quora.com/Are-collisions-with-animals-a-major-problem-on-the-German-Autobahn

I think Uber's self driving car killed a pedestrian ~6 months ago and the video showed the woman entered the road similar to how a deer would enter it (jumped in front of the car in the last minute). Car tried to compensate, but still hit the woman.

·
761 Posts
36 mpg... fake news. You're fake news bro.
In the summer on a long easy drive I can get 34-35 even at 60+MPH. My overall average was 31.5 in my first 20,000 miles. Now since I put my snow tires on, and considering my morning starts are often at or below zero F (as it was this morning), then add in a significant warm up while I'm scraping frost, ice, or snow off the windshield, and the fact that it can take a lot of miles to get to get thoroughly warmed up, its down under 29MPG for an overall average since owning it of 30.3MPG. That's using the EVIC which may be a tad optimistic -- though when I check it by doing my own math its pretty close.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I've been averaging 23-25 all winter, but, I like to remote start it up 12 minutes before I leave for my 9 minute drive to work :devil: I mean hey, its parked outside (no room in the garage) and its northern Minnesota, hella cold here in the winter mornings!

I also remote start it a good 5-10 minutes before I leave work. So I basically have it idling nearly 50% of the time, and still get mid 20s no problem. In the summer usually around 28 for daily driving, and it easily claims 29-32 on any road trips.

Personal best short-run is still this 138 mile trip back in June to a larger city north of home, conditions were pretty much perfect and I was in no hurry, rural rolling 55 MPH roads (but obviously averaging more like 60 MPH). Good chance I drafted a truck or something for a good part of it, can't remember now. Seems like it held 40 MPG for the first leg but I must have gotten impatient at some point to drop it down to 38 grin:

·
Registered
14 Posts
It’s true I was able to get up to 35mpg on my drive to New York, but it all depends on how the wind is blowing if u drive against the wind you’ll get less mpg. But driving in the city I only get max 17mpg, bummer...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 37 Posts