My Jeep Compass Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently read a recent thread about AlfaOBD and noticed the mention of a Audio Repetition setting to enable the audio menu in the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) display in the instrument cluster. I decided to give it a try.

My Compass MP is a "2017.5" early build of the 2018 model year, so it shipped without the Audio menu on the EVIC and a unique MY17.5 application version for Uconnect. I have since updated the Uconnect application version to 21.9 at the dealer.

Using AlfaOBD for proxy alignment

I used an old Google Pixel phone, AlfaOBD, and a OBDLink MX+ from Amazon.

My car does not have a security gateway, so a bypass cable was not needed.

I changed the Audio Repetition and Audio Repetition Menu settings using this general outline from a recent thread. After changing settings you must perform a proxy alignment.

You will need a grey adapter — even with the OBDLink MX+ which otherwise requires no other adapters. The MP Compass requires the grey adapter during proxy alignment. Some reports stated another adapter is needed for a factory tow package, but I have a dealer-installed Mopar tow package and no other adapter was needed except a grey one.

Making a temporary grey adapter

I was confused by the AlfaOBD website, so I made changes and tried a proxy alignment without an adapter. I was thinking the MX+ does not require any adapters. Don't do this! But if you do...

I could not wait for an adapter to ship, so I elected to make my own temporary one. The final part of the proxy alignment process only requires a few cables from the vehicle port to the OBD adapter, so it is possible to make your own adapter to finish the job. I used some probes and wiring to make connections using this pinout:

Source: http://www.multiecuscan.net/images/OBDAdapter6.png and Multiecuscan - Diagnostics software for Italian cars

The procedure is to connect the OBDLink MX+ normally, start the proxy alignment, then wait for the following message to appear:

After that, I attached my temporary rig wired for the remaining modules during step 2 of the on-screen AlfaOBD instructions. I used a breadboard to wire grounds together. When connecting wires to the vehicle port (DLC) I connected grounds first (pins 4 & 5) and power (pin 16) last.

The first part of the alignment process should have the OBDLink MX+ attached directly. I tried to save some time by just attaching the green CAN lines to the normal CAN locations with my temporary rig, then swapping to the alternate CAN pins later, but the proxy alignment uses more than just the green CAN lines from the above pinout and it will fail. So connect the OBDLink MX+ directly and then swap out once the app prompts.

I needed to clear trouble codes (DTC) using AlfaOBD after the alignment to get a Check Engine message to clear. I cleared codes in the body computer, the engine computer, and the instrument cluster. I needed to wait a minute or two for the EVIC screen to shut off after turning the car off before the Check Engine message cleared on the next power on.

The Result

The final result: I can see a very limited amount of audio information on the EVIC. For radio stations including SXM, I see the name of the station displayed:

When using CarPlay, only the last audio information before playing CarPlay audio appears. I am bummed the EVIC does not show the same artist and title info shown in the Media section of Uconnect or even the correct source. I did not test Bluetooth, but a Bluetooth logo appears when selecting it in Uconnect.

I was not able to find a way to display the audio info in a corner of the display using the EVIC settings menu.

I am planning on having my radio further updated over the next couple weeks to 39.5 and will report if there is any difference.

I wrote this post to help others new to AlfaOBD to prevent them from getting stuck and to give some options for those like me who cannot wait for a proper adapter to arrive.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
This is excellent, excellent pioneering you are doing here. Do you have special access or know somebody at the dealership to get those Uconnect version updates or do you just go in and ask for them point blank? I need to go in anyways because HP Tuners is telling me I need the dealer to reflash the TCM to be able to read it with their software and equipment. I hate going to my dealer so I'd like to get as many birds with that stone as possible. It occurs to me its maybe more the center cluster screen that would need updates than the Uconnect itself though maybe? Hard to say. Really glad to see someone else trying things and you are doing a great job of documenting a path for the rest of us to follow. Getting audio display working on the center cluster would be sweet.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is excellent, excellent pioneering you are doing here. Do you have special access or know somebody at the dealership to get those Uconnect version updates or do you just go in and ask for them point blank?
I have tried for over a year to at least get the update to application version 21.9 without success — until about 5 days ago when I got 21.9 installed by the dealer.

I periodically check the NHTSA web page for the 2018 Jeep Compass for new "manufacturer communications" (TSBs) which describe potential improvements while my car was under warranty. I found one last year which indicated a software update to 21.9 was permitted to fix certain issues I experienced, such as volume control bugs and other issues. The dealer offered to look into it but ultimately told me an update was not possible for my specific VIN. My car went out of warranty a few months ago.

I have a factory navigation option. About a month ago, I got an email about a navigation update for sale at $99. When I tried purchasing, I got an error about an invalid application version. I reached out to @UconnectCares on Twitter and eventually got a case opened up with the right person at Uconnect who informed me an upgrade was possible. I scheduled a dealer appointment and the case manager worked with the dealer to get my out of warranty car upgraded to 21.9 for free. @Techmike followed this advice and also got the 21.9 update from the dealer.

Important caveat: My update wiped the navigation map database! But I was told to expect this. And this may be the reason I was told a update was not possible before: if I upgraded to 21.9, I would lose maps, and since FCA/HERE didn't have an update available my navigation app would just be gone.

We were told by Uconnect support we now need up to 3 OTA updates before we can get the latest 39.5 version. Our case manager will be enrolling our radios into the Uconnect OTA system this week. The FAQ on the Uconnect website says the 2018 Compass will never get OTA updates, so I suspect they need to allowlist my particular radio now that it has 21.9.

According to the NHTSA website PDFs from FCA, the latest 39.5 version from early 2021 is required to accept the latest navigation maps, which is probably how we're suddenly getting success with upgrading. I have yet to purchase any map update to get this process started, just waiting on the OTA to come in.

I am hoping to get my grey adapter cable in time to try to enable Off-Road Pages in the BCM via AlfaOBD before the 39.5 update. I am hopeful this may enable the missing Off-Road Pages app which may come bundled in a modern unified 39.5 update if the BCM indicates support for it. We will see!

I need to go in anyways because HP Tuners is telling me I need the dealer to reflash the TCM to be able to read it with their software and equipment. I hate going to my dealer so I'd like to get as many birds with that stone as possible.
I highly highly highly recommend visiting the dealer for updates to your TCM and other modules. So worth it. I got my PCM, TCM, and BCM updated in early 2020 and the performance and acceleration of my Compass significantly improved — enough for me to recommend any owner of a 2018 to get this done right away.

I suspect similar updates would be done if you took your car in for the oil consumption campaign which was sent out several months ago — I had this done about 3 months ago and got even more updates (but did not notice any performance change over the early 2020 update).

I do not know of any way to update these modules outside of dealer equipment or folks with the right tools and FCA service subscriptions. So it may be worthwhile to get those done at the dealer.

It occurs to me its maybe more the center cluster screen that would need updates than the Uconnect itself though maybe? Hard to say. Really glad to see someone else trying things and you are doing a great job of documenting a path for the rest of us to follow. Getting audio display working on the center cluster would be sweet.
Thanks! Yeah, I suspect I may also have older cluster software which may never be upgraded; however, I am not sure if the Uconnect OTA upgrade or the map upgrade will update other modules during the upgrade process. It's a bit of an unknown! If anything, perhaps a later Uconnect application version will have updates to better communicate CarPlay or song info to the cluster!

I was so annoyed on day 1 of owning the car that the audio info was not in the cluster despite being advertised for the 2018 model year on Jeep's website... turns out it's likely just because I had a very early build of the car and it was enabled later for others? Already the 21.9 application version from mid-2018 has so many bugfixes it has really improved my experience with the infotainment! For example, the radio no longer comes on full blast after disconnecting CarPlay — which is exactly how Apple defines it should be done. Little things like that! Better designed seat controls, radio icon improvements, new display themes, redesigned phone menu, Projection Manager, and so on.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Awesome info, huge thanks, I'm writing down notes and I'll prepare a request to my dealer to update the bejeebus out of everything. I don't care if I have to leave the car with them for several days for them to chomp through it, I want whatever improvements have been made and bugfixes. I'm sure I'll have to redo some customizations I've made with AlfaOBD but if its basically a one-time effort it won't be so bad (thinking if they update my BCM things like ESS and seat belt reminder will turn back on not a big deal).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am on 21.9, but plan to upgrade to 39.5 when possible.

I did notice incoming calls and ongoing calls via CarPlay now show up in the cluster with the name of the caller.

·
Registered
107 Posts
You may have to just keep trying. I've had it take 4-5 attempts before it "took." Also, when it tells you to change cables, I've had luck doing that without power cycling the car as AlfaOBD tells you to do - don't know if that makes a difference in success, but it does make it faster.

Also, reverting any changes you've made should let a PROXI alignment go through. It's always good to keep accurate records of any changes you're making or attempting.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You may have to just keep trying. I've had it take 4-5 attempts before it "took." Also, when it tells you to change cables, I've had luck doing that without power cycling the car as AlfaOBD tells you to do - don't know if that makes a difference in success, but it does make it faster.

Also, reverting any changes you've made should let a PROXI alignment go through. It's always good to keep accurate records of any changes you're making or attempting.
Thanks so much for the response. Only changes I did before this was navigation,gps,sxm travel link,HVAC controls to dual zone and automatic. I can see it takes the changes when I try the controls on radio and AC but just fail on that part. I heard if you attempt to many times can harm ECU

·
Registered
107 Posts
You don't have to go back to the beginning. If you just revert any changes made since the last successful PROXI alignment, it can get you back in good order quickly.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks Mike got it to work properly. I noticed that my Sirius XM icon on my radio is missing. Is there a way to turn it back on in the app. I checked a few things like navigation and gps present with is still there. Or do I need to let the car seat overnight

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am on 21.9, but plan to upgrade to 39.5 when possible.

I did notice incoming calls and ongoing calls via CarPlay now show up in the cluster with the name of the caller.
I can confirm nothing has changed on the 39.5 update. You do get off road pages with update if you want to enable it on alfaOBD app. It's pretty cool same features you will get from the trailhawk trim.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can confirm nothing has changed on the 39.5 update.
Bummer. Was hoping CarPlay or SiriusXM artist and track name would start appearing in the cluster, but alas.

You do get off road pages with update if you want to enable it on alfaOBD app. It's pretty cool same features you will get from the trailhawk trim.
I have a Trailhawk, but AlfaOBD shows the BCM factory setting for Off-Road Pages is Absent on my 2018 early build. I flipped it to Present but nothing changed on 21.9. Thanks for sharing this! I will appreciate having Off-Road Pages available.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You can have it available but only on 39.5. software version. I came across this person when looking for updates to manually do yourself but not sure which one is right file.

Tonigth swiss time on my Server.

www.mydrive.ch

Login:

Username: [email protected]
Password: gasolio

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have upgraded to 39.5. While I do see some new apps like Market, I still do not see Off-Road Pages despite being enabled in AlfaOBD.

Do you have a 2018? Or use SiriusXM Guardian?

I noticed right after installing 39.5 there were a lot of "Installing..." notifications and there were a few Off-Road Pages related apps for different model years like MY19. I wonder since my model is a 2018 there may be issues with getting the app to appear?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have upgraded to 39.5. While I do see some new apps like Market, I still do not see Off-Road Pages despite being enabled in AlfaOBD.

I noticed right after installing 39.5 there were a lot of "Installing..." notifications and there were a few Off-Road Pages related apps for different model years like MY19. I wonder since my model is a 2018 there may be issues with getting the app to appear?
I have a 2018 but build towards the end of the year (Dec) and I haven't renew my Sirius XM guardian. I did had to unplug the radio or disconnect the battery for a few minutes for it to appear. Im currently trying to get my maps updated stuck on 2016 maps.

·
Registered
59 Posts

Also can you post your current configuration from AflaODO on here

1 - 17 of 17 Posts