My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A few months ago I bought a new Energizer Battery from Walmart for my Jeep Compass. A couple days ago I went to give my neighbour a boost and I found that the Positive & Negative Terminals are Not marked in any way.

How do I determine which Terminal is the Positive & which is the Negative?

Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Couple of different ways:

Usually a red wire connects to the positve terminal
A black wire or bare braided strap connects to the negative terminal.

The main wire from the negative terminal is connected either to the engine block or the frame of the car.

The main wire from the positive terminal usually goes to the starter motor.

You could also invest in a low cost multimeter and actually measure the voltage of the battery, this will allow you to determine which is the positive post and which is the negative. (a multimeter is also useful for other home and auto electrical testing)

If it weren't so dark out right now, i'd go and look at mine to tell you for sure.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Couple of different ways:

Usually a red wire connects to the positve terminal
A black wire or bare braided strap connects to the negative terminal.

The main wire from the negative terminal is connected either to the engine block or the frame of the car.

The main wire from the positive terminal usually goes to the starter motor.

You could also invest in a low cost multimeter and actually measure the voltage of the battery, this will allow you to determine which is the positive post and which is the negative. (a multimeter is also useful for other home and auto electrical testing)

If it weren't so dark out right now, i'd go and look at mine to tell you for sure.
Thank you!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts