My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my mechanic scanned the code and either its the first o2 sensor is pooched or my catylic converter is going... dont by a jeep compass!

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Try a tank of Shell Premium Gold gas. You might be surprised.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
If you're not getting a rotten egg smell, the catalytic converter is probably fine. I'd just check into replacing the sensor, even though it does seem odd to have an O2 sensor go bad that soon. What was the code you got?

- Cherokee

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i smell unburnt fuel around my car when it's parked when the engine is cold and i start it up and drive away i feel like i'm driving a 5l mustang. :rotfl:

i tried shell with a 02 sensor cleaner...my engine light hasn't come back on

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
i smell unburnt fuel around my car when it's parked when the engine is cold and i start it up and drive away i feel like i'm driving a 5l mustang. :rotfl:

i tried shell with a 02 sensor cleaner...my engine light hasn't come back on
Better figure out where its coming from.

- gas cap
- filler vent tube at the cap.
- under the hood there aren't any broken hoses.

I believe the evap system is in a fender somewhere and could be a hose there.

Otherwise you have leak in the gas pipe somewhere. Get your sniffer working.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Better figure out where its coming from.

- gas cap
- filler vent tube at the cap.
- under the hood there aren't any broken hoses.

I believe the evap system is in a fender somewhere and could be a hose there.

Otherwise you have leak in the gas pipe somewhere. Get your sniffer working.
it's only when i start my compass. idles so rough if i drive off right away it's loud and sounds like a muscle car. few minutes after driving it's fine. all my hoses are fine.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
it's only when i start my compass. idles so rough if i drive off right away it's loud and sounds like a muscle car. few minutes after driving it's fine. all my hoses are fine.
Any codes/engine light?

I have a reader!!

I would check air filter if not change in the last 20k, pull one plug for condition if there for a while. >40k

What brand gas are you burning?

PS: Long time for this post back.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any codes/engine light?

I have a reader!!

I would check air filter if not change in the last 20k, pull one plug for condition if there for a while. >40k

What brand gas are you burning?

PS: Long time for this post back.

Sorry i dont check this site to often.
I am not throwing any codes since the reset :think:
I have a k&n Lifetime Washable filter that i clean every month.

I might pull my plugs and see what's going on. Today i smelled Pure gasoline in my car twice second time it was after i was stepping on it to merge around some guy doing 20 in a 50 i pulled over in a parking lot and checked everything and no leaks or anything. Either i have an exhaust leak or running way to rich or i have a gas leak. Not really sure whats going on anymore and tired of dumping money in this piece of crap LOL

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone I have a 2007 compass which won't pass the smog due to check engine code p0420 I replaced both o2 sensors and erased the check engine light at about 50 miles driven the light came back on. I don't think it's the catalytic converter what else can be the problem? Please any answer is appreciated

·
Registered
403 Posts
I don't know how much response you'll get posting in a thread this old.
Some information on code p0420 from the factory service manual:

P0420-CATALYST EFFICIENCY (BANK 1)

Theory of Operation
The catalyst monitor uses the signals from both the upstream and downstream O2 sensors to detect aging of the catalyst. As a catalyst ages, it loses some of its oxygen storing capacity. As a result, part of the untreated exhaust gases can break through the catalyst and causes the downstream O2 sensor to deviate from its neutral (Stoichiometric) position. By observing the downstream O2 signal, the degradation level of catalyst can be detected. In general, the higher the downstream O2 sensor state of change value, the more exhaust gas breakthrough and the lower the oxygen storage capacity of the catalytic converter.

When Monitored:
With the ECT above 70 C (158 F), engine RPM between 1400 and 2300, vehicle speed between 64 and 96 kph (40 and 60 mph), and engine run time greater than 3 minutes.

Set Condition:
If the final state of change index is within the calibrated fail threshold. Two trip fault. Three good trips to turn off the MIL.

Possible Causes
EXHAUST SYSTEM LEAK
ENGINE MECHANICAL CONDITION
AGING OR CONTAMINATED O2 SENSOR
O2 SENSOR WIRING AND CONNECTORS
CATALYTIC CONVERTER

1 - 10 of 10 Posts