My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Jeep Compass Trailhawk
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I purchased my Jeep Compass Trailhawk in February 2019, sporadically a message appears on the dashboard display about "High Coolant Temperature" and immediately sends the vehicle to shut down and after a couple of seconds the error disappears and the temperature returns to normal. I must clarify that at no time does the vehicle overheat. This error occurs at any time of the day, regardless of whether the vehicle is cold in the morning or after driving for several hours; sometimes it occurs several times a week and sometimes not at all for weeks; the vehicle may be stopped at a traffic light or in motion on the highway, a particular situation that worries me greatly, because when this happens, the vehicle locks up for an instant (approximately one second) in which the steering hardens and the vehicle tends to stop abruptly, and I fear that this may cause damage to my car or even worse cause an accident.

This situation has been reported since the first time it happened (about 18 months ago) and I have had to go to the garage about 20 times. In each occasion the technical team has tried to solve the problem without success, they even replaced a control module, installed updates, ran the scanner, and made long driving tests trying to recreate the condition that causes the error without succeeding.

I would like to know if anyone else has had this problem and what solution they have been given in the workshop, perhaps it could be the temperature sensor. Thank you for your comments!

·
Super Moderator
1,664 Posts
First off, welcome to the site. Glad to have you on the board.

It seems like your dealer is trying to help so I don't fault them. You must be getting frustrated. I once had an vehicle that was almost new and had multiple problems. I went to a different dealer and told them I was seriously unhappy with what I was driving even though it was new. They got me into another (new) car for three more payments so about $1000 difference over 3 years. I just walked away from the disaster and into what turned out to be one of my favorite vehicles of all time (I've had plenty).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Since I purchased my Jeep Compass Trailhawk in February 2019, sporadically a message appears on the dashboard display about "High Coolant Temperature" and immediately sends the vehicle to shut down and after a couple of seconds the error disappears and the temperature returns to normal. I must clarify that at no time does the vehicle overheat. This error occurs at any time of the day, regardless of whether the vehicle is cold in the morning or after driving for several hours; sometimes it occurs several times a week and sometimes not at all for weeks; the vehicle may be stopped at a traffic light or in motion on the highway, a particular situation that worries me greatly, because when this happens, the vehicle locks up for an instant (approximately one second) in which the steering hardens and the vehicle tends to stop abruptly, and I fear that this may cause damage to my car or even worse cause an accident.

This situation has been reported since the first time it happened (about 18 months ago) and I have had to go to the garage about 20 times. In each occasion the technical team has tried to solve the problem without success, they even replaced a control module, installed updates, ran the scanner, and made long driving tests trying to recreate the condition that causes the error without succeeding.

I would like to know if anyone else has had this problem and what solution they have been given in the workshop, perhaps it could be the temperature sensor. Thank you for your comments!
Oh my! Yes and yes! I purchased my 2019 Jepp Compass Trailhawk over 1 year ago. Happened to me the first few months a few times. Went awhile without anything and it has happened about 8 times the last 2 weeks! So frustrating. The dealership is really no help. I was away from home about 2.5 hours and it happened at the light before the highway and I alsmot got hit. It is ridiculous!
without succeeding.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Hi @Nikehead07 !

We're super sorry to hear that you've been experiencing these concerns. Would you mind sending our JeepCares team a private message with your current mileage & VIN? I'd like to look into this further for you.

Courtney
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi @Nikehead07 !

We're super sorry to hear that you've been experiencing these concerns. Would you mind sending our JeepCares team a private message with your current mileage & VIN? I'd like to look into this further for you.

Courtney
Jeep Cares
Thank yoj for reaching out. This week has been a horrible week. The car is under 17 K miles. I am calling the dealership early Monday AM. It happened while driving , thank goodness no one was behind me. I feel unsafe and this is a fault of something

·
Registered
3 Posts

My wife 2020 is having the same issue, did you get a successful diagnosis and repair/solution. thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Oh my! Yes and yes! I purchased my 2019 Jepp Compass Trailhawk over 1 year ago. Happened to me the first few months a few times. Went awhile without anything and it has happened about 8 times the last 2 weeks! So frustrating. The dealership is really no help. I was away from home about 2.5 hours and it happened at the light before the highway and I alsmot got hit. It is ridiculous!
without succeeding.
my wife's 2020 is having a similar issue, did you ever get a successful diagnosis and repair?

·
Registered
Jeep Compass Trailhawk
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi, so far nothing, the dealer is still trying to identify the problem and has already done many tests, changed the temperature sensor, the VCM, PCM (or something like that), purged the cooling system, checked the entire electrical harness, tried to identify possible places where some electrical wire is pinched, etc., but to no success. In the last week it seems to me that the error has become more frequent and the only change I have noticed is that maybe there is more humidity in the environment, all this has already been reported to the dealer but they can't find a solution.

·
Super Moderator
1,664 Posts
Thanks for checking back. Sorry they can't find the problem. At least they admit it. The only thing to worry about is if the temp really is running hot -- that could damage the engine. Keep a record of all those shop trips in case you need help after the warranty is gone. At least you'll have proof that the problem was pre-existing.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hey my 2020 Jeep Compass trail hawk is literally having the same problems with stopping at a light or even driving and the car would say it’s overheating, car would shut off then I would turn it on and the message would be gone. Been happening for couple weeks now. I have it in the shop right now but they can’t even find the problem

·
Registered
471 Posts
Hey my 2020 Jeep Compass trail hawk is literally having the same problems with stopping at a light or even driving and the car would say it’s overheating, car would shut off then I would turn it on and the message would be gone. Been happening for couple weeks now. I have it in the shop right now but they can’t even find the problem
So sorry to hear this! If you would like assistance from our team while your Jeep is with the dealership, please send us a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

1 - 12 of 12 Posts