1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ,

My 08 jeep compass started showing those 3 lights
ESP BAS , 4WD! ESP (car slipping sign)

I drive it up north canada , very cold & lots of snow .
sometimes when I drive , I feel like the the driver front tire isn't spinning.

any suggestions ? or could be ice stuck somewhere or malfunction system.

·
Registered
193 Posts
ESP is your Electronic Stability Program, BAS is Brake Asist, and when the "4WD!" comes on it means there is a malfuntion in your 4wd system.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
4WD = failure? I know it comes when I manually turn it on with the lever. I believe if flickers when it kicks in automatically on demand (when a slip is detected and indicating on the dash).

What surface you driving on and how to get them all lighted up. Do the go on then off when you start the car (this is normal cycle of the lights and circuits by the way).

If you're cruising on snow and not doing something like tromping the gas there should not be any on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ESP is your Electronic Stability Program, BAS is Brake Asist, and when the "4WD!" comes on it means there is a malfuntion in your 4wd system.
So when the three signs come out on same time it means malfunction in AWD! or just the word itself AWD! meant for malfunction.

because those 3 sign come out on same time as soon as I turn the vehicle on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
4WD = failure? I know it comes when I manually turn it on with the lever. I believe if flickers when it kicks in automatically on demand (when a slip is detected and indicating on the dash).

What surface you driving on and how to get them all lighted up. Do the go on then off when you start the car (this is normal cycle of the lights and circuits by the way).

If you're cruising on snow and not doing something like tromping the gas there should not be any on.

I drive on snow surface , they are always ON (3 of them) either on parking or driving , sometimes one of them turns off and on for a second.

and no im not tromping on snow , just driving on snowy road within the city limit (traffic light)

P.S i did turn off and on and still no luck (it has been a week and I turned off on the vehicle few times )

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
ok, I only notice the "!" in the iBeta reply. Must have been tired, my mistake on that. There must be another indicator for 4WD on as well. Seems you'll have to get it looked at. If you're not hearing any unusual noise or drivability issues. You may be only getting 2WD traction. There is likely no damage being done since it has to be an electrically engages system with the level of sensitivity it has to slippage to engaged time. I hope its not a TIPM issue they tend to cost a few bucks. If so run to Chrysler why such an early failure on a part time 4WD vehicle.

Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yeah big time issue with those electronic AWD , I would rather to get the old school 4x4 manual stick. I think there must be a solid snow stuck somewhere in the engage system , because i remember parking on a thick pile of snow where the tires were spinning without reaching the ground. I will possibly wash the car and remove any snow before I take it to Jeep dealer.

Thanks for your time Tripplec and you too jeenpguy2010

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Yeah big time issue with those electronic AWD , I would rather to get the old school 4x4 manual stick. I think there must be a solid snow stuck somewhere in the engage system , because i remember parking on a thick pile of snow where the tires were spinning without reaching the ground. I will possibly wash the car and remove any snow before I take it to Jeep dealer.

Thanks for your time Tripplec and you too jeenpguy2010
Well, yeah the circumstances leading to the problem are a great insight into the problem. Look for one of the car washes that do the under body wash with rust inhibitors (I think Shell does) that way you're getting a good spray underneath. Parking in an indoor garage might help thaw it out depending on the temperature.

Those washes are 3-4$ more but coffee money if you take it to the dealer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts