My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, i need a little help. i am new to jeep and i just bought a 2007 compass 4x4. my question is about the ESP switch. i read the owners manual and i am still confused. do i drive with the swith on, this is where it lights up on the dash with the vechile with skid marks. or do i keep this light off while driving normal. 99.9 % of the driving will be on the pavment.

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Welcome to the forum ........hope you enjoy the site.
ESP is always on........unless you need to get out of mud, snow or anything you're stuck in......that's the beauty of that little switch.........it comes on by default..........so no need to touch it.........

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Two differents things completely my friend..........ESP is for stability only and doesn't act or react to FWD or 4X4.............

·
Registered
34 Posts
Be aware, when you press the ESP button, it only semi-turns it off...you have to push in and hold it for something like 10 seconds, while in park, i believe. when i bought mine the dealer told me about it and i went to try it, and it didnt work at all, seems you have to get your car flashed to get the update, mine is a 2007 as well so make sure you have the update. not sure what the difference is between semi-off and fully off tho.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Be aware, when you press the ESP button, it only semi-turns it off...you have to push in and hold it for something like 10 seconds, while in park, i believe. when i bought mine the dealer told me about it and i went to try it, and it didnt work at all, seems you have to get your car flashed to get the update, mine is a 2007 as well so make sure you have the update. not sure what the difference is between semi-off and fully off tho.
Ah, this I can answer. When partially off, the stability control will allow a degree of wheel slip, but still restrict the speed the tire can spin. But with the ESP turned of completely, the stability control allows the tires to spin freely, regardless of amount of traction. Note: Even by turning the ESP all the way off, many electronic features remain, such as the brake assist (if you have it), anti-lock brakes, and the electronic roll mitigation system.

·
Registered
34 Posts
thanks lunch box. i thought if you turned the ESP totally off, it disengages other electronic systems as well, im glad to hear thats not the case..thanks again

1 - 14 of 14 Posts