My Jeep Compass Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here put an exhaust tip on their muffler? I just painted my muffler (silver Compass/silver paint) with high heat paint and thought that a nice stainless steel tip might make it complete. I looked at some at the local auto parts store but they seem too long and too straight for the sharp stubby curve in the stock muffler tip. Anyone know of one that fits? Is there any chance of electrolysis causing the original tip to corrode with these add-on tips?:confused:

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
it needs to be modified before thinking of putting an exhaust tip......

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now I think I can post a pic! I got this one at O'Rielly's today. It's nice and stubby and fits just right. I think it improves the looks. I wanted it in stainless but all they had was in chrome. I'll just have to polish it up every now and then.:D

·
Registered
142 Posts
I really like it. Who is the manufacturer. We don't have that parts store where I live. Do you have a part # or website that has the same one?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sure do, it's made by ROLXtreme
www.rolxtreme.com
Part # 583021

I would imagine you could order from O'Reilly's website. List price is $8.99 but O'Reilly sells it for $4.99. There is one at AutoZone but it's longer and sticks out too far. It retails for 14.99 and is stainless but don't fit as well as the one from ROL.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Now that just looks sweet!!! Nice mod, and I think chrome looks better than stainless anyways IMO! Thanks for sharing the pic! :)

- Cherokee

·
Registered
142 Posts
I looked on the website and can't find that part #.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah you right Cherokee, the stainless I tried at Auto Zone was actually sort of grey not bright silver like the chrome one. Only good thing about the stainless is it's stainless! no rust ever. I would presume the one I got today will rust out inside over time as it is only zinc coated on the inside with chrome on the outside. Oh well, $4.99 every couple of years ain't bad! If I find a shorter stainless one I will pass on the info.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Skyeye, You're in LA. Try keeping the rust off in PA. Stuff rusts here sitting in the garage.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
DL, that's the part # that was on the wrapper. Perhaps not all O'Reilly's handle the same parts. Did you go to the manufacturer's site? Maybe it's discontinued and I just lucked out?

Rust? Podna, I live 2 blocks from one of the largest brackish water lakes in the world so dampness and salt air is everywhere. I really don't notice any metallic deteriorating around the house. Perhaps it's the fact that you guy use that salt on your roads. Here in New Orleans all we got on the roads is potholes!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
381 Posts
I put a complete custom exhaust on mine with dual tips (both functional). There's some pics of it in my photoalbum if you're interested.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
DL, that's the part # that was on the wrapper. Perhaps not all O'Reilly's handle the same parts. Did you go to the manufacturer's site? Maybe it's discontinued and I just lucked out?

Rust? Podna, I live 2 blocks from one of the largest brackish water lakes in the world so dampness and salt air is everywhere. I really don't notice any metallic deteriorating around the house. Perhaps it's the fact that you guy use that salt on your roads. Here in New Orleans all we got on the roads is potholes!:rolleyes:
I feel ya' on that Sky, the humidity down here alone, man just the rock dings in my bumper rust up almost over night, but the roads.....now that is a whole 'nother story, lol. Gotta love being below sea level and sinking haha! They put the road construction signs out there just to make us feel like our tax dollars are actually accomplishing something......:)

- Cherokee

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hey Skyeye, how big is the diameter on that tip you put on the exhaust? I was thinking of getting a short tip but it's 6cm wide, doesn't look like that will get up around the curve of the existing exhaust like yours has.. Any idea of the width?

Another thing, I had my wheels rotated today and while the Compass was up there I had a look underneath.. My exhaust system seems to be brownish/rusted all along its length, is that normal? Is there something I should do to protect it/clean it?

Hey and when you painted the muffler did you take it off or just aim really carefully? Looks way better than the default "steel" colour!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1. the diameter is about 2.75 inches and it just makes the curve.
2. From what I can see, all the pipes show surface rust from the header to the muffler.
I painted that too! It stinks for a day or two until it burns in but is looks better and
I would imagine it cuts down on the rust. Jeep don't use stainless on most of their
exhaust systems to cut cost. Nonetheless, I feel that it would take many years for
the main pipe to rust a hole in it.
3. No need to dismount the tank. Just get a lot of newspaper and stuff it in and tape
where you don't want the paint to go.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts