My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I am new to the forum! I have a 2007 Jeep Compass limited 2wd. Over the past year I have experienced horrible road noise coming from the rear of the car. I replaced the tires in may of 09 w/ Yomkahama's and just a month ago replaced the tires again related to cupping on the front tires. I went with the Yokohamas again but a higher end version. The cupping noise was quite significant on the front and has been alievelated with the new tires. I still continue to have extremely loud road noise coming from the back end. It's to the point where I can't her my daughter talking in the back seat. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Help please!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Compasses seem to be sound magnifiers for tire treads. However, don't forget to check the wheel bearings.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Good point Sky, the wheel bearings came to mind for me, too.

- Cherokee

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was! Right rear wheel hub assembly.... so basically the righ wheel bearing. Had it replace today and boy what a difference! Feels and sounds like a new car!

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Sky is a champs when evaluating problem in here..........you should start to charge maybe !!!!!!! LOL

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
The Firestone low profiles 17" that come with mine can be very noisy or very quiet depending on the pavement I am on. I have driven from on strip to another and the road noise is day and night difference. I am not a fan of this brand but will bear with it until I wear them out enough to justify new ones.

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
I agree with you Trip on this one, Firestone are not my favorite brand,,,........BTW welcome to the forum and have been reding your posts.........you seem to have a lot of knowledge and\or opinions on issues ...are you a mechanic or an engineer ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was! Right rear wheel hub assembly.... so basically the righ wheel bearing. Had it replace today and boy what a difference! Feels and sounds like a new car!

We have this exact issue also, guess I should have it looked at. Do mechanics like having people sugest what is wrong or is it just a personal thing? By that some will be annoyed and others will like the tip.

Did you fix this yourself and what did it cost?

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Guess it depends on the tech, I've seen some that appreciate the tip and some who feel you're stepping on their toes if you give them your diagnosis.

- Cherokee

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well I was right and they didn't seem to mind the info, cost $138 for the assembly and $150 for labor.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Cool greenpigs, glad it worked out for you!

- Cherokee

·
Registered
3 Posts
jeep compass firehawks cupping just like dodge caliber and patriot

I stumblled across this site and others after i plugged in tires cupping on caliber and then compass. I could not believe that so many people have the exact same noisey and cupping tire complaint i have!!! This is astounding!! Worse yet my gas pedal stuck a couple times!!!.. Is it time for chrysler to begin recalling??? Come on this cannot be so commonplace!!! And even after you replace!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone!

I am new to the forum! I have a 2007 Jeep Compass limited 2wd. Over the past year I have experienced horrible road noise coming from the rear of the car. I replaced the tires in may of 09 w/ Yomkahama's and just a month ago replaced the tires again related to cupping on the front tires. I went with the Yokohamas again but a higher end version. The cupping noise was quite significant on the front and has been alievelated with the new tires. I still continue to have extremely loud road noise coming from the back end. It's to the point where I can't her my daughter talking in the back seat. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Help please!

YES!!! I HAVE 4 wheel drive and if you google cupped tires you find that so many people including patriot and dodge caliber drivers are having this same issue with CUPPING TIRES AND ROAD NOISE!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
SO I have had bad wheel bearings since I bought the vehicle? Somehow that does not sound right. I have already replaced my tires once.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rear end noise Jeep Compass

I thought it was something in the trunk.
Turns out it's the upper control arms in the rear.
They're crap! Along with all the other suspension parts, front and rear.
My Compass has 82,000 KMs and I'm on the 3rd set of tires. Just cost me $1300 for new front end. My Honda still running fine after 245,000 kms.

Since the platform for this vehicle supports 5 different models, it more likely that the Compass and Patriot just won't work with this set up.
Chrysler is famous for trying this scheme. It's designed to produce a "cheap" car at an affordable entry level price. However down the road, as it were, you'll end up paying for it. Brakes are crap and cost a fortune to replace.
Hard to believe $90.00 for brake pads the size of a "post-it-note".
Calipers and rotors are as cheap as you get on a car.
Bottom line...........don't buy one!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Compass , Hecho en Mexico

Why don't they build them in Ontario?
Canadians would have jobs and we'd have a better vehicle.
Thanks Brian for "free trade".
By the way he drives a Mercedes!

·
Registered
1,897 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
jeep compass 2008 rally 4x4

Hi everyone!

I have had the same problem with the loud noise and they have not resolved the issue. Also in certain condition my brake pedal and acelarator does not work properly. I have to pump the brake to make a complete stop even if I am traveling at speeds of 10 to 15 miles per hour

·
Registered
3 Posts
Georgia

I stumblled across this site and others after i plugged in tires cupping on caliber and then compass. I could not believe that so many people have the exact same noisey and cupping tire complaint i have!!! This is astounding!! Worse yet my gas pedal stuck a couple times!!!.. Is it time for chrysler to begin recalling??? Come on this cannot be so commonplace!!! And even after you replace!!!!
Our gas pedal and brake pedal get stuck during certain conditions usually when there is snow present or a lot of water.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Our gas pedal and brake pedal get stuck during certain conditions usually when there is snow present or a lot of water.
i almost rearended a car on the lakeshore 2 weeks after i got the car the pedal was stuck. WOT!!!!!!!!!!!! i have gone thru 3 sets of tires all new front suspension still have a f'ing vibration tires are cupping and really loud. check your rear trailing arms mine have failed on me causing negative camber

1 - 20 of 35 Posts