My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was checking the falken website for wildpeak A/T3W and realized that the tire is offed at 215/65r17. This can be the first A/T tire offed for stock TH rims. I remember reading somewhere that Falken promised Jeep to produce A/T tires at this size and maybe this is the product of that.

From the below link, you can click on the "sizes & specifications" and under 17" rims, you can see the tire at 215/65r17 size, its the first item under 17" rims. Its item number is 28034782. The only place I could find the tire for sale is carid (second link).

WILDPEAK A/T3W TIRE | Falken Tire

https://www.carid.com/falken-tires/wildpeak-at3w-215-65r17-1373166370.html

·
Registered
265 Posts
Thanks!!! This might save me from needing to jump tire sizes to get a decent AT under our Trailhawk. And it is a pretty decent looking tire with severe snow condition. If they live up to most of their own hype then should be a good tire that will look great on a Compass particularly a Trailhawk say a Spitfire Orange one for example! LOL

I wonder if someone could photoshop those tires on a Trailhawk that would be cool!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I upgraded to BF Goodrich K02s that are 225/65R17 on the stock trailhawk rim with no issues at all.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Good morning everyone, I feel like typing a bit, so here's my cliff notes for anyone looking for an A/T tire for their Compass (assuming you want to keep the 17" stock rims)

Click at the bottom to expand the box here to see the specs of the tires:

Falken Wildpeak A/T3W (215/65R17)
  • Tread: 12/32"
  • Weight: 32.2 lbs
  • Notes: Only one size (stock) for the 17" rim, nothing else available over 17", have to drop to a 16" rim to get a larger version.
Pirelli Scorpion A/T Plus (225/65R17)
  • Tread: 13/32"
  • Weight: 29 lbs
  • Notes: Get to run a larger+wider tire (vs the A/T3W and stock) with more tread depth and less weight (only two pounds heavier than stock)
BFGoodrich KO2 (225/65R17)
  • Tread: 13/32"
  • Weight: 39 lbs
  • Notes: Has as much tread depth as the Scorpions but ridiculously heavy (31% heavier than stock)
By the numbers the Scorpions still reign supreme as the best option by a long shot.

The A/T3W is a nice tire but you can only get it in the stock size on the stock rim, and you have to get a smaller rim to go up in size, and there are other options with more tread depth.

The KO2s are a really heavy tire, plain and simple. The engine and transmission and brakes have to work much harder to roll and stop these tires, significantly increasing strain and wear on everything. Acceleration is reduced, braking distance is increased, fuel economy takes a huge hit, and all brake & suspension components experience increased wear from the extra unsprung weight which means shortened life. The extra rotating mass really counts against you at highway speeds, giving an effect similar to having hundreds of pounds of cargo permanently added to the car.

I left out the Yokohama G015, some of you remember I was originally a big fan of that tire and I still think its a better choice than a K02 but the G015 has slightly less tread and slightly more weight than the Scorpions so they'd still loose out on my selection of a tire for the 17 inch stock rim.

Ergo, Pirelli Scorpion A/T Plus in a 225/65R17 is objectively the best choice for anyone who wants to get a more aggressive off-road tire in a slightly larger size for their stock rims on their stock compass. People may still subjectively prefer something different as we're not accounting for ride comfort, road noise, tread life, looks/appearance, or several other factors that are harder to pin down than straight simple numbers, but other than looks/appeance those don't tend to be major considerations for folks looking for a tire of this type either.

If we're being totally and brutally honest, most are just going for the off-road look. Most Compasses don't hardly leave the pavement, they sit in a parking lot and look like they want to go off pavement, but they rarely do and even then only on mild trails that could also be run by a minivan, because at heart its not a real off-road vehicle its just a nice off-roady-looking AWD car.

All I mean by that is going too crazy with your tires is just a waste of time and effort. If you wouldn't bolt them on a comparable Kia or Hyundai you probably shouldn't bolt them on a Compass either, IMHO. You are giving up the on-road comfort and getting hardly anything in trade because the Compass simply cannot utilize a big aggressive A/T tire with its skimpy AWD drivetrain.

I understand its kind of a lifestyle vehicle and having the "look" does it for most owners and fools many bystanders in their corollas but nobody in a Wranger or a 4x4 truck is fooled, so again "in my opinion" its dodgy to do anything to make it look or seem more off-roady than it actually is.

If you get the feeling that I'm trying to convince myself more than anything, you'd be correct. I experience the same gut urges as everyone else when lift kits go on sale or when a new aggressive tire comes out in a size small enough to squeeze on, I'm fighting a personal battle with it all the time. Some day I may give in and become a full-blown Compass poser with lift, big tires, wheel spacers, skid plates and the whole nine yards. It will look cool and be fun, as long as I'm never parked next to a Wrangler or a truck...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Good morning everyone, I feel like typing a bit, so here's my cliff notes for anyone looking for an A/T tire for their Compass (assuming you want to keep the 17" stock rims)

Click at the bottom to expand the box here to see the specs of the tires:

By the numbers the Scorpions still reign supreme as the best option by a long shot.

The A/T3W is a nice tire but you can only get it in the stock size on the stock rim, and you have to get a smaller rim to go up in size, and there are other options with more tread depth.

The KO2s are a really heavy tire, plain and simple. The engine and transmission and brakes have to work much harder to roll and stop these tires, significantly increasing strain and wear on everything. Acceleration is reduced, braking distance is increased, fuel economy takes a huge hit, and all brake & suspension components experience increased wear from the extra unsprung weight which means shortened life. The extra rotating mass really counts against you at highway speeds, giving an effect similar to having hundreds of pounds of cargo permanently added to the car.

I left out the Yokohama G015, some of you remember I was originally a big fan of that tire and I still think its a better choice than a K02 but the G015 has slightly less tread and slightly more weight than the Scorpions so they'd still loose out on my selection of a tire for the 17 inch stock rim.

Ergo, Pirelli Scorpion A/T Plus in a 225/65R17 is objectively the best choice for anyone who wants to get a more aggressive off-road tire in a slightly larger size for their stock rims on their stock compass. People may still subjectively prefer something different as we're not accounting for ride comfort, road noise, tread life, looks/appearance, or several other factors that are harder to pin down than straight simple numbers, but other than looks/appeance those don't tend to be major considerations for folks looking for a tire of this type either.

If we're being totally and brutally honest, most are just going for the off-road look. Most Compasses don't hardly leave the pavement, they sit in a parking lot and look like they want to go off pavement, but they rarely do and even then only on mild trails that could also be run by a minivan, because at heart its not a real off-road vehicle its just a nice off-roady-looking AWD car.

All I mean by that is going too crazy with your tires is just a waste of time and effort. If you wouldn't bolt them on a comparable Kia or Hyundai you probably shouldn't bolt them on a Compass either, IMHO. You are giving up the on-road comfort and getting hardly anything in trade because the Compass simply cannot utilize a big aggressive A/T tire with its skimpy AWD drivetrain.

I understand its kind of a lifestyle vehicle and having the "look" does it for most owners and fools many bystanders in their corollas but nobody in a Wranger or a 4x4 truck is fooled, so again "in my opinion" its dodgy to do anything to make it look or seem more off-roady than it actually is.

If you get the feeling that I'm trying to convince myself more than anything, you'd be correct. I experience the same gut urges as everyone else when lift kits go on sale or when a new aggressive tire comes out in a size small enough to squeeze on, I'm fighting a personal battle with it all the time. Some day I may give in and become a full-blown Compass poser with lift, big tires, wheel spacers, skid plates and the whole nine yards. It will look cool and be fun, as long as I'm never parked next to a Wrangler or a truck...
This is a great writeup. Thanks! I was looking around and I've had a few people recommend the Pirelli Scropion A/T Plus, and knowing that fits on the stock rim is simple enough. One person mentioned he had spacers, do you know if that's necessary to avoid rub if with the 225/65R17 Pirelli? I do agree with your note about going for the look. To be fair, my wife and I plan to do a lot more dispersed camping exploring forest roads/trails this summer. I don't want to go crazy with a lift and all that because we're not doing any ridiculous off-roading...but I would like to be prepared enough knowing I have a better tire to tackle things if necessary. But I would like to give it a run for its money and have a little fun off the pavement.

·
Registered
927 Posts
225/65R17 is commonly reported to work without spacers, but its a close shave on a couple of spots. I think we have some threads on that scattered around the forum that the search might turn up. You could run into potential issues that there is not enough room for things like snow and ice build-up in the fenders during the winter and no room for winter tire chains, but for a lot of people these things are not applicable.

Yeah the tires are still the #1 thing anyone can upgrade on the car, excellent tires can make up for many of the shortcomings of the drivetrain and allow the car to access many (if not most) common leisure trails. I just try to be aware of the line of how much tire it is actually capable of using because going beyond that point in weight actually starts to limit you and going too aggressive with the tread ruins the on-road experience.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I forgot a person probably shouldn't leave out the Toyo Open Country AT II those are right up there with the Scorpions, very close in weight and tread depth.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts