My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received a letter from FCA stating that an upgrade to the software in my Jeep may be needed to address the high oil consumption. All I have to do is take my Compass to the nearest Jeep dealer to get the fix. Has anyone else received this letter? If anyone has received the letter and gotten the fix, does the shifting pattern seem different or better yet does it work?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just purchased mine a week ago, but saw that the update had been done before I purchased. First fill-up had no issues, but I'll continue to monitor. A couple long timers scoffed at a computer update changing oil consumption, but there it is!

·
Super Moderator
1,456 Posts
I just purchased mine a week ago, but saw that the update had been done before I purchased. First fill-up had no issues, but I'll continue to monitor. A couple long timers scoffed at a computer update changing oil consumption, but there it is!
I'm one of those, uh, old-timers. Color my hair gray (what there is of it). Yours may not have had the problem. Most didn't.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
If Jeep wants to put a hard explanation with facts and evidence behind it, I'd be happy to read about it. At face value, my non-expert self continues to be suspicious that any software change can impact this problem. It doesn't add up. Some vehicles have had this issue, but most haven't. So "some" vehicles need special version of the engine software to not consume excess oil? I call BS.

·
Super Moderator
1,456 Posts
I believe the 2.4 Kittenfish (I mean Tigershark) is the only gas engine offered in the US Compass.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Mine is a 2018 Trialhawk but the letter specifically addressed the 2.4l Tigershark engine. So I guess it's engine specific?
I believe the 2.4 Kittenfish (I mean Tigershark) is the only gas engine offered in the US Compass.
Yep, in the USA that would be literally ALL 2nd gen Compasses since they ALL use that one motor here (so far). In other countries they get some other engine choices.

·
Registered
32 Posts
What years are they addressing in the letter?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
The letter was posted on this forum in another thread a little while ago. It specifically called out the 2.4L engine installed in 2018 Compasses as well as a couple other Jeep model and years.

My understanding is that the issue had to do with tolerances on seals/gaskets in the engine and were fixed in later years. That hasnt been confirmed anywhere though, just from my research in Jeep forums on the oil consumption issue. Problem seems to be fixed with using thicker grade oil such as 0W30.

Update: I think I missremembered what I had read on other forums. Should have been 5w30 oil that people were using to temporarily fix oil consumption issues. If you think your Jeep has the issue, then please take it into your dealership and get it fixed properly!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Good to know...I saw a couple threads saying the same. 0W-30 sounds like a good plan.
That's a good short term plan, but look up the letter if you are having the issue and take it into your local dealership. They should fix it for you since FCA has aknowledged the issue. Good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've got a 2018 built in 2017. I have not noticed any issues. I thought there were only two ways for a vehicle to use oil.

1. Burning it, which means it is getting past the piston rings. A software update is not going to fix that.

2. Leaking. Again, a software update cannot fix this either.

But I'm willing to learn something that I may not be seeing.

On a side note, our 2015 Jeep Renegade, same exact engine and transmission had a new transmission put in under warranty at around 27,000 miles. The replacement transmission started acting up 1 year later. The last upgrade to the software made it a little better, but I would never buy a Renegade again. (But it's not really a Jeep, cough cough . . . Italy)

·
Super Moderator
1,456 Posts
Good to know...I saw a couple threads saying the same. 0W-30 sounds like a good plan.
I'd say not. The motor oil does far more than lubricate, nor does it get to where it needs to in the old-fashioned way. The oil is used to actuate the hydraulic lifters, and it is sprayed not squirted for lubrication. The thicker the oil the less it will atomize when sprayed. You'd do best to stick with the 0-20 and add oil as needed. What's a couple cases of oil over the life of the vehicle? Compared to a blown engine and FCA saying, "No wonder it blew. You were running the wrong oil in it." Bye-bye warranty.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've got a 2018 built in 2017. I have not noticed any issues. I thought there were only two ways for a vehicle to use oil.

1. Burning it, which means it is getting past the piston rings. A software update is not going to fix that.

2. Leaking. Again, a software update cannot fix this either.

But I'm willing to learn something that I may not be seeing.

On a side note, our 2015 Jeep Renegade, same exact engine and transmission had a new transmission put in under warranty at around 27,000 miles. The replacement transmission started acting up 1 year later. The last upgrade to the software made it a little better, but I would never buy a Renegade again. (But it's not really a Jeep, cough cough . . . Italy)
Haha I had the same reaction after reading the letter... how in the world does a software update fix an oil consumption issue. IDK, but I'm glad that my Jeep hasnt had the issue.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sounds like I’ll have to check with my dealer if my 2019 in Canada included in this.
Have watched the oil and no significant drop on the dip stick but changing the oil at no more than 8000km intervals which is a little accessible but also trying to avoid any damage from low if it happens on my compass.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well, looks like I was wrong and seems like my 2019 burning oil as well.
This time I stretched interval between oil changes was doing at 8000 each time and this time getting closer to 10,000 kilometres and just check the oil and it’s at the bottom mark of the dipstick on level ground.
That’s not a good sign since it was just above half when did the last oil change.
Unfortunately this is something I’ll have to keep a very close eye on if keeping this car which I’m not even sure about anymore.

·
Registered
32 Posts
This time I stretched interval between oil changes was doing at 8000 each time and this time getting closer to 10,000 kilometres and just check the oil and it’s at the bottom mark of the dipstick on level ground.
That’s not a good sign since it was just above half when did the last oil change.
Unfortunately this is something I’ll have to keep a very close eye on if keeping this car which I’m not even sure about anymore.
Based on Jeep's statement, 2019 models are not affected by the issue. I have a 2019 trailhawk and have been watching my oil levels as well. I have not noticed any issues with mine. Good luck to you!

·
Super Moderator
1,456 Posts
So it started out down 1/2 quart and you used another 1/2 quart in 10,000km? Did I read that right? That's hardly a problem; certainly not a crisis. The hash marks are the safe operating range. As long as the oil level stays between the hash marks, it's where it should be. If you'd filled it to the top of the hash marks then you'd only be down 1/2 quart now. Doesn't that mean you can make it between oil changes without adding any?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes right now, staying on top of it and as long as the amount consumed doesn’t change then this can be managed, not ideal for a new modern engine but manageable.
If worsens and consumes more then could be catastrophic but I guess only time will tell.

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Compass TrailHawk
3 Posts
Based on Jeep's statement, 2019 models are not affected by the issue. I have a 2019 trailhawk and have been watching my oil levels as well. I have not noticed any issues with mine. Good luck to you!
I have a 2020 Jeep Trailhawk. 5500 miles on the dash give or take. & it’s burning oil like crazy. 500 miles/ quart. Taking my car in tomorrow for a oil consumption test. That’s another 1500 miles I have to drive without being able to check my oil. I’ll be pissed if they don’t change my engine after that test.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts