My Jeep Compass Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Problem seems to be fixed with using thicker grade oil such as 0W30.
0W-30 sounds like a good plan.
Noooooooooooooo don't do that! You don't know what you are saying. That is still zero weight oil either way, 0w20 and 0w30 are the same viscosity other than at cold winter startup. You know where your engine really doesn't need any decreased lubrication and increased friction?? COLD WINTER STARTUP.

Changing oil viscosity is the most foolish thing you could do, bar none. Believe me, if Jeep engineers who have studied this issue carefully came to the conclusion that changing the recommended oil viscosity was the simple, easy solution, THEY WOULD HAVE DONE THAT FOREVER AGO (and it would have been probably a 5w20 oil, not another zero-weight) That would be worlds easier and cheaper for them than trying to reduce the issue with PCM reprogramming. Please use your heads and don't go putting the wrong oil into your motor because "you read it somewhere on the internet". Someday you'll probably sell that car and stick some other poor fool with a damaged or prematurely worn motor if you don't take care of it properly and follow the manufacturer recommendations.

I thought there were only two ways for a vehicle to use oil.

1. Burning it, which means it is getting past the piston rings. A software update is not going to fix that.
I thought the same, and I do believe ultimately it IS still burning it, but my new theory based on new evidence is that is not the oil coming UP past the rings into the combustion chamber, it is combustion gasses getting past the rings DOWN into the crankcase (blow-by) that is happening at a faster rate than is normal on most engines and the excessive blow-by gasses are mixing with the oil and getting carried out and burned by the PCV system.

Based on what Jeep has said about it so far, I am tentatively willing to believe that they may have isolated the particular idling/running ranges and scenarios where this issue is most prone to happen and that maybe, just maybe, they actually can tweak the engine running parameters to avoid the sweet spot where this issue occurs the most at the highest rate. Won't cure it completely I'm sure, but if they could reduce it by a high enough percentage that cars which previously needed oil added between oil changes no longer do, that would be a win for them.

They may also hedge their bet with setting a reduced service interval or something along those lines as well. What I mean is, if the car previously was programmed to pop up a message for an oil change at around 7500-8000 miles (depending on conditions and use), maybe now they reduce that interval to 6500-7000 miles or something along those lines to try to catch people sooner, before enough oil has been burned to create a potential stall issue.

Well, looks like I was wrong and seems like my 2019 burning oil as well.
This time I stretched interval between oil changes was doing at 8000 each time and this time getting closer to 10,000 kilometres and just check the oil and it’s at the bottom mark of the dipstick on level ground.
That’s not a good sign since it was just above half when did the last oil change.
Reminder: The engine is designed and supposed to consume SOME oil That is 100% on purpose, its just not supposed to consume oil at a high enough rate to need some added between oil changes. A 2.4 engine that is using between a pint and a half a quart of oil between oil changes is running EXACTLY as designed and intended. The engineers made this trade to reduce internal friction to make the motor more efficient and more powerful, and it works when its implemented correctly. The issue is these poor folks who received engines with tolerances pushing the engineer's design spec too far, using way too much oil. Thats not the intention, but they DO intend your motor to use some amount of oil during normal operation. Thats probably why such a small 4-cylinder has such a huge oil capacity of 5.5 quarts. Its part of the design, but something went wrong when it was translated into mass-production for some percentage of these motors.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
@arudlang, you and I sometimes quarrel, but I think your post above is right on.
If all my posts were held for 5-8 hours and required me coming back later and choose between "confirm post" and "edit" before anyone saw them, they would likely be a lot higher caliber posts more consistently. Typing and firing things off before thinking is where I get into trouble!

·
Registered
212 Posts
My two cents, for what it’s worth.

As someone who has worked on gasoline engines since the mid-1960s. The days of carburetors, points, distributor caps and the only true “electronics” were in the radios. The way to check the “health” of an engine was to look at the inside of the exhaust pipe! A dry, light tan or gray interior indicated a healthy, clean running engine. If the interior was black, sooty or oily, that indicated either an oil burner (bad piston rings, valve stem seals, clogged PCV system) or a “rich” fuel mixture (carburetor, choke, dirty air filter) or both oil burner and fuel mixture issues.

Someone either on this forum or one of the Facebook groups had posted about soot stains on the bottom of their muffler coming from the weep hole. My muffler doesn’t have a weep hole and I probably should drill one. But I did notice from the very beginning that the inside of the exhaust pipe was a little sooty. My 2018 Compass did use a little oil in the beginning but has settled down. It is 3 years old to me today with less than 20k miles. Not much driving with the pandemic. Not many long road trips under it’s belt.

To give support to the above posts, The very thin oil, ring blow-by and a spray lubrication system could easily vaporize enough oil and the PCV system draw it out of the engine and burn it in the combustion process causing the soot. I am not that familiar with how the VVT system works to know what a software system update could do to reduce oil consumption or maybe impact oil vaporization. Again, just my two cents.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just received a letter from FCA stating that an upgrade to the software in my Jeep may be needed to address the high oil consumption. All I have to do is take my Compass to the nearest Jeep dealer to get the fix. Has anyone else received this letter? If anyone has received the letter and gotten the fix, does the shifting pattern seem different or better yet does it work?
I am picking mine up today. They did the program update but said it was to make it so that when the oil was low the oil light would come on. This was not happening. I have to bring it back in 1500 mes to check the oil.

·
Super Moderator
1,540 Posts
I am picking mine up today. They did the program update but said it was to make it so that when the oil was low the oil light would come on. This was not happening. I have to bring it back in 1500 mes to check the oil.
I never heard of that! I didn't think the Compass had a low oil indicator light. However, it would be a great idea considering how these new engines are built.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I wonder where will they get the "low oil level" signal from?
As far as I know, there is no any oil level sensor in the engine...

·
Super Moderator
2019 Jeep Compass Latitude
248 Posts
I wonder where will they get the "low oil level" signal from?
As far as I know, there is no any oil level sensor in the engine...
My guess is whoever said that had no idea what the update does.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just received a letter from FCA stating that an upgrade to the software in my Jeep may be needed to address the high oil consumption. All I have to do is take my Compass to the nearest Jeep dealer to get the fix. Has anyone else received this letter? If anyone has received the letter and gotten the fix, does the shifting pattern seem different or better yet does it work?
its a recall and while i dont have a compass i have the tigershark 204L
nothing changed for me. still the same piece of shxx. fca shamed the JEEP BRAND! they just couldnt leave well enough alone. Had to new and improve.Now my jeep gets to visit monthly.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I don't understand how reprogramming something eliminates oil consumption.

What am I missing here?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
248 Posts
I saw that, and I've also received my recall notice and have my Jeep booked in.

It just seems odd to me that a reprogram or reflash of the computer will eliminate oil consumption? I doubt it.
We have one member here who claims it did reduce the oil consumption, see post number 8 in the following thread: Recall issued 1/29/2021 powertrain software update (oil consumption)

I posted this in the other thread mentioned earlier: Oil consumption recall issued
I had the oil consumption problem when I would drive back and forth to and from work, city driving with stop and go traffic, on long highway trips there would be no noticeable oil consumption. I would go thru a quart every 1100 to 1500 miles or so. I got the recall letter from FCA and made the appointment. It's been over 3 weeks and over 1000 miles of stop and go driving, and it does seem that the problem is resolved. I have not noticed a drop in the oil level. It also seems that my Compass used to make the common groaning noise when you reach around 32 mph. If you turn off traction control the noise goes away and returns when you turn it back on. The reflash raised the speed that the noise comes on to about 45 mph or so. Less noticeable during normal driving due to other road noises LOL. There are no other changes that I have noticed either in performance, or gas mileage. We'll have to wait and see if others who have had this flash done are also seeing less oil consumption.
So..."By Golly, it worked!"

·
Registered
278 Posts
Well, I had the recall addressed at the dealer yesterday.
We'll see what happens.

·
Super Moderator
248 Posts
Well, I had the recall addressed at the dealer yesterday.
We'll see what happens.

Did your Jeep have the oil consumption problem?

21 - 37 of 37 Posts