My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got an 07' Compass, 32k milage. After I fill my tank I get less than a mile down the road and it starts to ride rough. If I make it to a stop light it dies within 5 seconds of stopping. It usually starts right back up. I don't top off the tank.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Gas tanks used to have a purge vapour system to capture vapour and inject it back in the engine to burn it off rather than evaporate into the air. Raw gas is not suppose to be able to get into the system but may in over fill situations saturate the purge canister. There is a solenoid involved as well.
You may want to check it out and depending where the hose goes to up front from the canister. There should be no raw gas in the line. If there is then thats your problem and some valve is buggered up IMO.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought the car at carmax. On my last "fix the car you sold me" visit... they replaced the purge valve, or so they told me. This is the 3rd time I've had to take it in for this stalling problem.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Sound like you've got warranty on it then. Fill the tank close to them and have them fix it or have a dealer fix it. you'll see it is working if its full of gas.

·
Registered
1 Posts
HUNDREDS of Jeep Compass Are Stalling After Fueling

There are hundreds of complaints on the internet about this issue AND my wife's Jeep Compass has been doing the same thing and its getting worse. Only happens on fuel fill up situations.

HAS ANYONE COME UP WITH A DEFINITIVE CAUSE? I AM SURE THAT HUNDREDS OF JEEP COMPASS HAVE THE SAME CAUSE. HELP.:confused:

·
Super Moderator
530 Posts
Not the same year but similar problems to this recall

·
Registered
205 Posts
Never overfill your gas tank no matter what car you drive. You will have this problem. If the charcoal canister gets filled with liquid gasoline instead of just vapors, the gas will find its way through the purge valve and will be sucked by the engine creating an overly rich mixture. The engine will sputter and stall.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts