My Jeep Compass Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hi All,

I just wanted to give an update on the loud clicking noise with my Jeep Compass mentioned in one of my posts above. I dropped it off at the dealer yesterday for the third time and they called me today insisting that this noise I am hearing when turning is completely normal. I just don't believe it. It never used to click when it turned, but has been doing so for the past few thousand miles. It has under 7,500 miles on it. I have never owned a car that made such a noise. Has anyone else ever heard of such a thing?

Thank you.

Sarah

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hi All,

I just wanted to give an update on the loud clicking noise with my Jeep Compass mentioned in one of my posts above. I dropped it off at the dealer yesterday for the third time and they called me today insisting that this noise I am hearing when turning is completely normal. I just don't believe it. It never used to click when it turned, but has been doing so for the past few thousand miles. It has under 7,500 miles on it. I have never owned a car that made such a noise. Has anyone else ever heard of such a thing?

Thank you.

Sarah
Ask them to show the noise on another Compass on the lot. If it is normal, they should be able to show it on another car. If they cant show it, it is not normal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
That's a good idea. I appreciate the suggestion. They said they already test drove other vehicles on the lot and they make the same noise. They tried telling me that all vehicles make this noise though, which is incorrect. It is a creaking sound mixed with a metallic clicking sound in the wheels when turning and breaking. This is my first Jeep, so that may be why I'm not used to it, but I still don't see how it is normal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I just got a call from the dealership. Yesterday they asked me to pick it up because they insisted nothing was wrong with it. I told them to keep it until it's fixed. Today they told me they resolved the issue. Are you ready for this? They said they was some wiggle room on the front axel and sprayed some Loctite in there and now it no longer clicks. This has to be a joke.

·
1,039 Posts
Sarah, they're trying to get you out of their garage. Take it for a test drive with their mechanic on board before you take it out of their custody. If its still making the noise, take the same mechanic for a ride in a new Compass off their lot. Tripod has a great suggestion.

Next best is to take it to a different dealer and tell the new dealer why you're there.

Have you reached out to JeepCares on this website? I've seen mixed reviews on their work, but they monitor this website to help disgruntled owners.

PS, I've had two 2nd generation Compasses (Compi?) and neither makes a clicking sound when they turn. I specifically listened yesterday turning hard in a parking lot, and tonight coming home I drove about 4-5 miles on a winding dirt road with the windows down and not a peep out of the steering or anywhere else on the front end. I cornered hard coming onto the asphalt and still not a sound.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts