My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight I did my first oil change at 3,400 miles. I have a big trip coming up. I run AMSOIL Signature in all of my vehicles anyway, so the break-in oil needed to go.

I did the push button and pump gas pedal three times thing...7 times...and nothing displayed in the dash saying the oil life was reset. I did it fast, slow, and moderate. My Ram and Cherokee had the same process, and it always said when the meter was reset. Has anyone done theirs?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have done mine 4 times now. I does not tell you it reset. Our Wrangler JKU is the same way. Does not tell you it reset.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have done mine 4 times now. I does not tell you it reset. Our Wrangler JKU is the same way. Does not tell you it reset.
Thanks! I'm not sure why Jeep would offer some models that do, and some models that do not.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I looked it up on page 64 of the manual, doesn't look like any message or confirmation is expected, they just say that if the "Oil change required" message still displays after doing the procedure and starting the engine to try again.

Kind of lame really, they have an entire computer in the dash that could easily display a simple screen for this. Other cars I have owned have a spot that shows you the estimated oil life remaining as a percentage and that was really handy to be able to check that say right before a 3000 mile trip across states. They have all this other info in the cluster display options, everything from coolant temp to battery voltage and pressure in each tire, why not add one more little screen with the progress on the oil change interval?

Oh well, nothing is perfect. Just have to pay attention to my miles and kinda remember when the last oil change was I guess, try not to get caught 1500 miles from home or 30 miles out in a trail with a "Change oil now" message popping up.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked it up on page 64 of the manual, doesn't look like any message or confirmation is expected, they just say that if the "Oil change required" message still displays after doing the procedure and starting the engine to try again.

Kind of lame really, they have an entire computer in the dash that could easily display a simple screen for this. Other cars I have owned have a spot that shows you the estimated oil life remaining as a percentage and that was really handy to be able to check that say right before a 3000 mile trip across states. They have all this other info in the cluster display options, everything from coolant temp to battery voltage and pressure in each tire, why not add one more little screen with the progress on the oil change interval?

Oh well, nothing is perfect. Just have to pay attention to my miles and kinda remember when the last oil change was I guess, try not to get caught 1500 miles from home or 30 miles out in a trail with a "Change oil now" message popping up.
I agree with all of your points. I keep a Rite in the Rain notebook with details on everything I do. Tire tread depth gauge readings, oil changes, cabin filter changes, towing miles, dealer services. I have done this since my teens as my grandfather swore by the notes. I keep the book in one of their zipper pouches with insurance stuff. Comes in handy. https://www.riteintherain.com/field-flex-book-green-kit-universal I'm sure you can find it on Amazon a bit cheaper, but here it is anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts