My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any reasons why she should, or should she run away?

She is driving an '08 PT Cruiser now which we've had since 2010. It's trade in value is under $1,000. I kid you not. It's clean, new timing belt, and tires and front brakes less than one year old. Ugh.

That car goes through brake boosters--oil gets in there and in cold weather pedal is rock hard in the morning for fifty feet. How that's not a recall is a mystery to me.

Anyway, thanks for opinions on a 2014 Compass for a young lady.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Welcome to the boards. The Compass should be great! Just ensure you check all the accident records, service records, etc. and once it's been maintained, I'm sure it'll be alright

·
Registered
213 Posts
A '14 Compass, assuming it has the Hyundai sourced 6 speed auto, has a reasonably reliable power train. Fuel economy is so-so. Suspension parts, door hinges and rear disk brakes are problem areas. You would think they had run out of K-car ball joints by now but apparently not. Spark plugs are decades old design that require frequent replacement, no long life platinum tips here. Be aware that even FWD versions may have been bashed around off-road and may have damaged transaxles/differentials or other costly problems. Any scratching/dents/bending on the underside is a huge red flag. Oh, and it may have been flooded with muddy water also. It's a Jeep thing, as they say. Pluses are comfy seats and it is a handy size vehicle for general purpose use, parts are readily available and reasonably priced, and it is a simple vehicle to work on (by modern standards).

·
Registered
9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
534 Posts
Besides regular maintenance the Compass would be a great vehicle for your daughter. I drove this platform for 8 years with hardly any issues even after heavy modifications, just give it a good inspection before buying and if possible take it to a local dealership and have them do a buyers inspection.

·
Registered
213 Posts
"hardly any issues" involves some judgement. Different people view things differently. For example I had a failed bushing in a rear lower control arm on my 2014 Compass. I was able to diagnose it and changed out the control arm myself. I actually changed both control arms, at a total cost of about $100 canadian (Parts Avatar), call it 2 hours of work altogether. And in my mind it wasn't a 'failure' at all ie, the car did not break down or become unsafe or inoperable. Someone else might have the same vehicle and not know much about it and may not be able to do their own work; might have become concerned about the noise and feared it was unsafe to drive. They would have had to pay more $$$ to get the problem fixed and quite possibly requiring more than one service visit to complete.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts