My Jeep Compass Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, we just had a storm come through. I drove out and once I saw how bad the streets were flooded, decided to turn back home. Before I could, some dude drove towards me pretty fast in a huge truck and sent a big ol wave of water at me. My engine stalled. Have water in my intake. I’m stressing out. Got towed home. Btw, I only drove into about 9 inches of water
Tire Wheel Car Water Vehicle
Mirror Automotive side-view mirror Car Vehicle Sky

Look at this poor person

·
Administrator
1,879 Posts
I hope it was only a stall. Did you try to restart it? If so, did the engine turn over and fail to catch or was the starter unable to turn the engine? If it cranked normally, you may just need to dry it out. If the starter couldn't turn the engine, it may have hydrolocked and that is probably the end of the engine. Basically, the engine is meant to compress an air/fuel mixture. Since water can't compress, it does real damage. If your engine was only at low RPMs and it didn't ingest much water, it may be repairable.

Please let us know how it turns out. We're hoping for good news. 🤞

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I bet there is at least a decent chance your car will be OK. I'm surprised it stalled, should be able to ford at least 18 inches of water on a stock Trailhawk IIRC and even my non-trailhawk has a pretty good airbox design with a flap thing to let water out the bottom, and it's pretty high up. Doubtful it could have sucked much water past the filter so hopefully it just starved for air and shut down, and will end up being OK.

·
Administrator
1,879 Posts
I bet there is at least a decent chance your car will be OK. I'm surprised it stalled, should be able to ford at least 18 inches of water on a stock Trailhawk IIRC and even my non-trailhawk has a pretty good airbox design with a flap thing to let water out the bottom, and it's pretty high up. Doubtful it could have sucked much water past the filter so hopefully it just starved for air and shut down, and will end up being OK.
I'm hoping you're right, as is OP. If I read that post right, he may have been victimized by a ground swell caused by the passing truck. I doubt a splash would have made a new/modern vehicle stall. We get splashed all the time and drive through puddles galore. A real wave would have raised the water level above the 9" he was treading at the time.
  • Best case scenario: Dry it out and it runs.
  • Not so good scenario: engine took in some water that raised the compression enough to blow out gaskets. Expensive, but repairable.
  • Worst case scenario: engine took a big gulp = full-blown hydrolock. It's new engine time. Very expensive, but on a vehicle this new, probably still worth the repair.
I wonder if insurance would cover? This wasn't abuse, it was a road hazard caused by another inconsiderate driver. When a stone flies up, insurance covers windshield repair or replacement.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I haven’t tried restarting. I was told not to by several people. My dad’s a lifelong mechanic, so waiting on him to help me diagnose. The passing truck raised those nine inches of water over my front end and onto my windshield… Opened up the air filter housing and the filter was soaking wet. Still is. Removed the tube(?) going behind the engine to the throttle body and there was a bit of water in there and the throttle body has what looks like condensation on its walls. I also have a check engine light on and a weird red one with a lighting bolt in it. I’ll post a pic.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design
Speedometer Car Odometer Trip computer Motor vehicle

·
Administrator
1,879 Posts
Engine seems to be hydrolocked. Crankshaft won’t turn
That's the pits. Almost new, too. With those low miles it is certainly worth the repair. Maybe my second scenario in post #5 is still a possibility. In that case, it's good that you didn't try to start it. Hang in there.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Red lightning bolt stands for Electronic Throttle Control (ETC). Pretty much throttle body. If it was me I would see if engine can be replaced under warranty or just replaced/removed throttle body to see if any water got behind it. Another way is to remove the spark plugs and see the condition of the plugs or shine a light in the hole to see if there water in the cylinder wall. DO NOT try to start it after seeing these items I mention. Also if you reset the ECU the computer will think everything good and would attempt to start the engine.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Do a compression check, I still kinda doubt all is lost there. How did you reach the crankshaft to try to turn it? What did you try to turn it with? It won't turn easily.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Red lightning bolt stands for Electronic Throttle Control (ETC). Pretty much throttle body. If it was me I would see if engine can be replaced under warranty or just replaced/removed throttle body to see if any water got behind it. Another way is to remove the spark plugs and see the condition of the plugs or shine a light in the hole to see if there water in the cylinder wall. DO NOT try to start it after seeing these items I mention. Also if you reset the ECU the computer will think everything good and would attempt to start the engine.
Thanks for the info, I’d forgotten to look up the red lightning bolt warning light. I did remove the spark plugs and if I remember correctly, the second from left had water, other three didn’t. Throttle body had some condensation on its walls, and the duct leading from the air filter to the throttle body also had water in it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do a compression check, I still kinda doubt all is lost there. How did you reach the crankshaft to try to turn it? What did you try to turn it with? It won't turn easily.
Passenger wheel well. Lifted the liner, wheel turned to the right, took a socket and a 18” ratchet to it

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quick update, spoke to insurance company and they said they’ll look into repairing it rather than considering it a total loss!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dealership has confirmed a hydrolocked engine. Waiting on insurance for approval 😖

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Man that is so crazy. I can see a tidal wave from the truck pushing a lot of water into the engine bay momentarily but it's strange that it could suck that much water past the filter so fast. The stock airbox has some anti-water countermeasures built in. Did you have a stock filter or some kind of K&N drop in, out of curiosity?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Man that is so crazy. I can see a tidal wave from the truck pushing a lot of water into the engine bay momentarily but it's strange that it could suck that much water past the filter so fast. The stock airbox has some anti-water countermeasures built in. Did you have a stock filter or some kind of K&N drop in, out of curiosity?
Stock filter system

1 - 20 of 24 Posts