My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so during our little arctic blast we got here in NW PA monday and tuesday, i managed to do alittle snow wheeling in the compass, and i can honestly say that i was impressed with the performance. When i bought it last year i was too afraid to test the limits, but this year i let loose and grew a pair! (LOL). Anyways, i have a couple of pics to show, these are for anyone who seems to think the compass sucks in snow deeper than 6in.

ENJOY!

·
Registered
171 Posts
So it looks like you have the Goodyear Wrangler tires, correct? Just wondering because I'm hoping to get snow and test the Firestone Affinity's.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No sir.... those are Firestone affinity's, they are the factory tires.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went through that in 2wd too and didn't spin at all! That's what impressed me the most.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The Goodyears are terrible. I only like them because of the white letters. I wish someone else made white letters with more aggressive tread.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Everyone has said that the affinity's suck in snow, but that's 13in of snow in that pic and I was in 2wd, you be the judge.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The Goodyears are terrible. I only like them because of the white letters. I wish someone else made white letters with more aggressive tread.
YES The Goodyears are horrible. That I much know.

But I have seen mixed reviews about the Firestones. My complaint is really on the Jeep's side. I don't like SUVs (even small car based ones) with car tires. I just feel like they need a truck/suv tire with an H speed rating. Then again the alternative would have probably been the Goodyears. Really a lose/lose for the consumer.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Wow, regardless of tires, that's pretty impressive there! Ok, now that I'm done being cold just looking at all that snow hahahaha, cool pics! :)

- Cherokee

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I am itching for snow. My snowmobiles are stairing at grass still and it 7 C at the moment with the treat of double digits coming. that would be + double digits.

I got rid of my Affinities at the start of last winter. I don't like Good Year tires and put Nokians on after a few months of driving on the Affinities. I sold them later.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can't really complain about the affinity's, they seem to do pretty well, I have trouble getting them to break loose on snowy roads, and as you see, they do really well in deep stuff too.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I can't really complain about the affinity's, they seem to do pretty well, I have trouble getting them to break loose on snowy roads, and as you see, they do really well in deep stuff too.
Shorty after I got mine some posters had said they were pretty poor. They aren't a winter tire anyway and I wanted true certified winter tires on my vehicle. The way I look at it is whatever I pay for them its $500 off. If I slide into someone or lose control and go off the road. I am paying the first $500 deductable and incurring all the ramification of the type of accident it was. Each year I manage accident free in really bad weather is a bonus. Last year on our 401 multilane highway there was snow and snowy ice surface covering the highway in a heavy snowfall. Many cars and trucks were in the ditch and I saw life one pickup loose controll while doing about 80-90km/hr and head into the center grass media in this area. He was off roading big time. He ended up coming to a stop after several hundred yards. I bet he and his passengers need a change of underware. I was ok all through it no skid or slipping of the tires just going steady and no sudden changes.

Many people make it through their winters without Winter tires but the rubber is a lot harder when its cold and the ability to stop is very compromized.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea, stopping distance is reduced, but as long as your easy with the brakes and don't drive 90mph like a douche, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
278 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts