My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am an owner of a 2009 Jeep Compass. I see different things when talking about how often to change oil. I don't put a lot of miles on my car so how often do I really need to change oil?

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Welcome KAS, glad to have you here on the forum, and congrats on your Compass!

Does the 2009 owner's manual still show a light duty/severe duty service schedule? This is generally a good guideline to use, but in addition to just the miles you drive, there are also other variables to consider, (especially with it being so new, definitely want to take care of your investment), such as where you live, is it a dry/dusty climate? Have you already had your first oil change? Do you plan on switching to synthetic oil or already done so?

My rule of thumb, I change my oil every 3,000 miles, even on my truck where there is only one service schedule in my manual and it says every 6,000 miles, simply because of how I drive and the climate I live in. Bottom line, you can't hurt anything by changing it a little more often. You only invite problems by letting it go too long. I recommend switching to synthetic after the first oil change, it doesn't break down as quickly therefore offers better protection to critical engine components, although this is NOT a reason, as some will say, to prolong the interval between oil changes. In that case, it is best to follow the recommendations outlined by the manufacturer.

Good luck and if you need any more help, feel free to ask! Talk to you soon. :)

- Cherokee

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Welcome to the forum..............as Cherokee said it depends......of a lot of factor.......but the beauty of it is that you Compass will advise you when its time to change it based on the data it collected.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I just did mine yesterday at 2700 miles. My light came on at 2500 miles though. I used Havoline 5w-20 and a Purolator filter. I also have a free one coming from my selling dealer but he is kind of far away for me to drive to so I'll wait til spring and get it done again. I will then switch to synthetic oil after it's broken in a couple of oil changes.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I change the oil, 5/20 viscosity, every 3,000 miles. I generally go to Firestone or Goodyear for my oil changes. I was told the oil will last for 10,000 mi. before it breaks down but the filter gets clogged in about 3,000 mi.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
I change the oil, 5/20 viscosity, every 3,000 miles. I generally go to Firestone or Goodyear for my oil changes. I was told the oil will last for 10,000 mi. before it breaks down but the filter gets clogged in about 3,000 mi.
I take it you're running synthetic oil? Certainly hope so if you're hoping to get 10k out of it....

- Cherokee

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yeah, the more oil changes the better. It cleans your engine and helps it last longer by keeping cleaner oil in it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts