My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI Folks -

My father-in-law has a 2008 Jeep Compass with 128k km (79k miles), and a front end rattle. Took to the indy and the dealership, both said 'probably internal wear in the transmission', and both recommended replacement.

Three questions:

1. Any stats / experience on how long these CVT's last before replacement? Anybody getting >100k miles?

2. Do we know the failure mode? Right now it is just a noise - no performance issues. Wondering how long he might drive it before it fails?

3. Any experience with rebuilt transmissions? Dealership quoted CAD$5300 for a new replacement, indy quoted $7000. AAMCO said they're now rebuilding them (sometimes the bearing, sometimes the belt).

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I am pretty sure its at the service interval for fluid and other service of that CVT. Check the manual and/or a dealer. Maybe a different dealer as well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Tranny shouldn't be worn out at that low miles.. unless he was running it hard but these cars aren't race cars so I don't know why anyone would even try :dunno:. Could be suspension pieces going bad if that's the possible cause of the 'rattle" my front suspension is shot and I got all kinds of noises lol

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Some people with the 2007 builds have got 200k on the tranny but that may vary. It does require a service interval before that or to even attain it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts