My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a used 2008 Jeep Patriot here in Ohio where I live . Didn’t know to look for issues regarding front sub frame. Seller stated it needed new lower control arm. Mechanic has now showed me that the control arm is fine and showed me the front subframe is nearly rotted through and is what needs replaced immediately . It was manufactured 5/08. Will Jeep do anything for this or am I out of luck ?

·
761 Posts
If it was less than 10 years old and you were the original owner then you would have the benefit of FCA's extended warranty. It appears you come up short on both counts. The previous owner probably knew what the vehicle's condition was and told you a lie so you'd overlook any symptoms you might have detected.

However, all is not lost. Not all, but many Compass/Caliber/Patriots had this problem. My '08 went to 300,000 miles on its original frame and almost all its miles were in northern New England where the DOT is generous with road salt. The problem can be remedied, but FCA isn't going to pay for it. I've seen figures around +/-$1200. Not cheap I realize, but IMO well worth the repair.

There is a Youtube video of a guy replacing the subframe on a Dodge and AYK that is a sister vehicle to the Compass The guy says its "pretty simple." .

·
Registered
205 Posts
Rust is the one thing I cannot tolerate in any of my vehicles. I make sure I wash the undercarriage of any dirt. It is just as important as cleaning the paint.

After you wash off the dirt from the undercarriage, spray it with fluidfilm or some other rust proofing material.
Don't go those places that use tar or asphalt to cover the rust. The problem will get worse. Tar traps the moisture between it and the metal. if you find rust on the bottom of your car you can use a rust reforming paint or chemical. It converts the rust into something that will stop the metal from further corrosion. It is also paintable.. This is what I did. I am not endorsing any particular product because there are several on the market that does the same thing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts