My Jeep Compass Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried doing a quick search over the forum and couldn't find an answer.

I have a 2018 Jeep Compass with just over 53K miles. I just replaced the left front sway bar link and needed to replace the OEM tires. The front tires had the insides worn to the cords. Back tires seem to wear normal, but both front tires inside edges were gone.

I had the alignment checked and everything is in spec, except the right front camber was off 1/10th of 1 degree but was also told the camber isn't adjustable on these vehicles.

Ball joints were good, wheel bearings were good. Seems like the new tires might be wearing unevenly already too and without a good answer to why the OEM tires wore unevenly in the first place I'm concerned the new tires will be gone in 10K miles.

Anyone else see this before or have ideas on what else to check?

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Take it to some other shop for a second opinion on the alignment? AFAIK thats about the only thing that could give problems like that, I'm sure we don't have to ask a silly question like are you rotating your tires on schedule?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had it at the stealership first who confirmed the alignment was good, then a private shop that I trust who has a laser alignment rack checked it too. They were the ones who told me the camber was off 1/10th of 1 degree which isn't an issue. They also said the camber isn't adjustable on these rigs so it was kind of a moot point anyhow.

I had not been diligent about rotating the tires very often as I have never had issues with other vehicles in the past, but the tires did get rotated. The last time they were rotated was when I first noticed the unusual wear on the inside edges of the front tires only. It had been about 10K miles since the last rotation this time, but now the front tires inside edges were down to the cords when the rest of the tire was close to the wear bars.

So I'm kind of at a loss. I was talking with another guy who thought it was a long shot but thought of checking the control arm bushings thinking perhaps the wheels are leaning in under acceleration. I have noticed a strange amount of torque steer when I accelerate, which is odd given it only has a whopping 180HP, lol

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I think frequent rotations are a must for this car, 10k is definitely too long of an interval for rotations. 7-8k (where the oil changes tend to be) is pretty much too long too but thats when most people do them.

Between the two shops its apparent that the alignment is "within spec" but I am pretty sure the spec is quite aggressive in this car. Whether its done for handling/cornering purposes or what I don't know but the front tires seem to have a lot of camber, and thats what's called for but it may be spec'd for handling at the expense of tire wear. It is not setup from the factory to have the camber adjusted but where there is a will there is a way...

You seem to put a lot of miles on, is your car typically loaded in any unusual configuration? (ie spending a lot of those miles with a ton of weight in the back or something?)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I put 30K miles my first year, but my mileage has thankfully been reduced slightly this last year. Most of the miles have been highway, (not interstate) but some fairly twisty roads, and city driving with plenty of stop and go. However, no uneven loads or anything unusual. Not even heavy loads either, just 1 to 2 passengers besides myself.

Biggest thing I see is the fact that I have a lead foot to begin with and wring my jeeps neck most of the time when I drive because 180hp and 5K lbs is not the fastest accelerating thing ever. If the tires are leaning on acceleration the control arm bushings could be wearing down already. At least to me it doesn't seem unreasonable to have other worn out components if my LF sway bar link broke already.

So all of that and definitely increase my rotation intervals are probably the best i'll get and just hope my new tires last me 60,000.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Its only just over 3k lbs this car lol maybe 3600 the very heaviest trailhawk trim with every possible option including the metal rock rails that nobody actually gets. The actual power to weight ratio isn't that bad its just flowing through a horribly programmed transmission.

Were you like an uber driver or something? Those kinds of miles are definitely bound to wear hard on everything.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I swear I saw on the door gross vehicle weight was around 5K lbs. 🤷‍♂️

I agree on the transmission. I think the ECU learns your driving style too because when I accelerate now, when I start letting off the gas after reaching my cruising speed, it shifts hard into gear. So usually between 4th and 5th I get a hard shift, but only if I don't stay hard on the gas. I took it in around 36K for the funky shift. I think they flashed the ECU which worked for a while but the funky shift came back.

Anyway, nope not an Uber driver or anything, I just drive a lot, lol.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Yeah I get a hard shift too about once a week at least, what I think happens is you have one day of spirited driving and the car slowly adjusts to that, then the next day maybe you have friends or clients in the car and you are trying to drive more reserved but the car "remembers" how you drove it yesterday and smashes through the gears. Don't know, its just a theory but it always feels like it is one step behind and out of sync with me. The third day want to drive spirited again and it will drive like a dog since you went easy on it the day before. smh.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My ‘18 was misaligned from the factory and went through its original tires in just 25K kms, despite being rotated twice in that time. The dealer did an alignment and the new tires seem to be lasting better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have a 2019 i was getting a oil change at Jiffy Lube and the Guy said I have unusual wear patterns on my tires. Well I took it to dealership also my Blinker stopped ticking so i also told them about unusual wear patterns on tires well they told me they agreed added some added something i will look for my paper work. now i took my car in for inspection and it didn't pass due to the tires. I went back to dealership and said well you fixed something so i should get free tires. I have 15,000 miles on i was told nope. So out $800 car goes in friday for tires..

I had it at the stealership first who confirmed the alignment was good, then a private shop that I trust who has a laser alignment rack checked it too. They were the ones who told me the camber was off 1/10th of 1 degree which isn't an issue. They also said the camber isn't adjustable on these rigs so it was kind of a moot point anyhow.

I had not been diligent about rotating the tires very often as I have never had issues with other vehicles in the past, but the tires did get rotated. The last time they were rotated was when I first noticed the unusual wear on the inside edges of the front tires only. It had been about 10K miles since the last rotation this time, but now the front tires inside edges were down to the cords when the rest of the tire was close to the wear bars.

So I'm kind of at a loss. I was talking with another guy who thought it was a long shot but thought of checking the control arm bushings thinking perhaps the wheels are leaning in under acceleration. I have noticed a strange amount of torque steer when I accelerate, which is odd given it only has a whopping 180HP, lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts