My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the snow tires off today. I sure do hope there's no more snowfall.

I worked out the fuel consumption since they were put on. Total distance,
total fuel purchased - consumption has averaged 10.58 l/100km. That's
26.7 MPG Imperial or 22.23 MPG US.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
4X4 question?

We are picking up our Compass Sport on 4/2/07. The dealer got it in today. We went to look at it and it was $250. US more than we were told when we told the dealer to go get the Compass at another dealer. The 26E package went up $250. But that is life. The DCX web site was not correct, oh well. :?
My question is this T lever to put it into 4X4, I don't think it's like our Liberty 4X4. When and how fast can you drive in the 4X4? :?: Does this make it actually a 4X4 or just something to get up a hill in snow. Does it make it more like a AWD? We drove one a month ago but I did not ask enough questions.
Ours is a Khaki as well, with a sun roof and some other things. Did you get the All Terrain tires? We are wondering is these are as bad as our Wrangler ST tires were on our Liberty. We traded those in within 2 weeks Those were the worst tires we have ecer seen in 37 years of driving !
When did you get your Compass? Have you had any problems. Any suggestions ? Appreciate your response.


farout
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
t bar

The tbar is a lock 4x4 mode that only works at speeds of 10mph and below. This is the same at the jeep patriot.

Happy driving in your compass.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We picked it up 19 December. It had the regular highway tires on it and
they were immediately taken off and a set of snows put on. I am not a
believer in all-season tires, not here, anyway. We have had no problems
with it. The only reservations I have concern the width of the front pillars,
to me, they seem too wide; and rear vision seem too restricted. It runs
very well, has started well, even when very cold. I like the ride and the
seats, although firm, are quite comfortable.
There seems to be some question about the four-wheel lock. Some say it
only works at extremely low speed, others say at any speed. I asked a
salesperson at our dealership on Tuesday - he said it worked all the time
it was engaged.
Ours also has a sunroof, and cruise control. We did not order the speed
control, so there was a bit of bargaining, at the time of pickup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
Re: 4X4 question?

farout said:
We are picking up our Compass Sport on 4/2/07. The dealer got it in today. We went to look at it and it was $250. US more than we were told when we told the dealer to go get the Compass at another dealer. The 26E package went up $250. But that is life. The DCX web site was not correct, oh well. :?
My question is this T lever to put it into 4X4, I don't think it's like our Liberty 4X4. When and how fast can you drive in the 4X4? :?: Does this make it actually a 4X4 or just something to get up a hill in snow. Does it make it more like a AWD? We drove one a month ago but I did not ask enough questions.
Ours is a Khaki as well, with a sun roof and some other things. Did you get the All Terrain tires? We are wondering is these are as bad as our Wrangler ST tires were on our Liberty. We traded those in within 2 weeks Those were the worst tires we have ecer seen in 37 years of driving !
When did you get your Compass? Have you had any problems. Any suggestions ? Appreciate your response.


farout
The Jeep Compass is Not Trail Rated & it is Not designed for Off Road use.
The Jeep Liberty Is Trail Rated & it Is designed for Off Road use.
The Jeep Patriot Can be Trail Rated with an Optional Off Road package.

:!:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Lock

You can have that bar pulled or engaged 24x7 if you like. It will only lock the 4x4 at speeds equal to or less then 10mph.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,362 Posts
I wanted the 4x4 myself, as I love it in my other Jeep, but was not disappointed at all with not getting it, as this car really is not made for that type of thing, but it can handle its own on moderate gravel or sand, like we have in some places here, even with my 4x2. Any other Jeep owners out there with the older 4x4 systems (I have Command-Trac), how does the Freedom I compare? What I mean is, how many of you that have it actually use it, and is it a good improvement on a good thing for Jeep? Guess I am still not used to the AWD/car/Jeep thing yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We have used the 4WD lock most of the winter with success. It seems
to be more stable on hills, and slick roads. The AWD aspect is working well
but we felt more confidence with the lock on. Our dealership service
manager has confirmed that the lock functions as long as it is engaged.
According to him, it does NOT cut out after exceediing 10 mph. He did
caution us on using on dry road.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Lock

CompassFan said:
You can have that bar pulled or engaged 24x7 if you like. It will only lock the 4x4 at speeds equal to or less then 10mph.
Where did you get your information ?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,362 Posts
I have the CVT II, 4x2, with the trailer tow prep group, which, to me, almost makes no sense on this car. The rear axle, not to mention the gear ratio between the transmission and the rear end, really is not equipped to handle a load like that. My Cherokee has the trailer tow rear axle, but with a 4.0, there is some pulling power.
I have been a Jeep owner for years, and I just had to wonder if the 4x4 in the Compass is comparable to the older systems that Jeep used to use. I do not agree with the 10mph thing either, but seeing as how I don't have that particular system, I think the thing to remember with the Freedom I 4x4 as opposed to the Command-Trac that I have in my other Jeep (some older models are equipped with that, or either Selec-Trac or Quadra-Trac), is that the 4x4 system available on the Compass has NO low range gears. You are either in 4x4 (AWD) mode, or not. By that I mean, Jeep built a CAR with this one, period.
As you said, good for moderate hills, etc., but not much else. You have to consider also, that no matter what 4x4 system you have, it will not be full tilt at full speed. AWD in a Jeep??? I had a 4x4 in my '83 Subaru, which was a great car, but I want the ability to decide if I need 4 high or 4 low, depending on conditions, kind of like 4x4 on demand. In the Compass, isn't 4x4 synonomous with AWD? If so, why not just call it AWD? After all, no it's not trail rated, even though they did publish approach, break-over and departure angles, but why? Because it is a JEEP, and anything with that name has to at least have the option of being a 4x4.
What I really wonder is, seeing as how they put the Compass out to try and bring people into the Jeep family, how many people bought the Compass after having already had another Jeep, and why? For how many people is this their first Jeep? After all, there are two things that can be said about Jeep owners, once you have a Jeep, you will never own just one (I speak for myself in agreeing with that one), and Jeep owners are the most loyal to their brand. Well, my thought is, if you buy good, you get good. Any other thoughts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe they should have called it a DeSoto,
That would have solved the endless "Jeep" conotations, and ended the
off-road thing. We bought it for the vechicle it is, not for the name, but
for what it provides - a relatively low cost, smaller car, that is better on
gas than the Durango. I do my best to stay on the road, and the Compass
helps. We have a really steep lane, live in a hilly part of the country,
and so far, it's doing it's job very well. I knew from the start that the
4X4 was really an all-wheel-drive, with the option of lockiing it in full
four wheel, if wanted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
362 Posts
Let's remember folks. The Compass is based off a CAR platform. The idea of the Compass is to bring people into the Jeep brand and expand the offering and sales. This isn't your regular hard core Jeep. But then again, how many people take their Grand Cherokee off-road LOL.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
oldmisery said:
We have used the 4WD lock most of the winter with success. It seems
to be more stable on hills, and slick roads. The AWD aspect is working well
but we felt more confidence with the lock on. Our dealership service
manager has confirmed that the lock functions as long as it is engaged.
According to him, it does NOT cut out after exceediing 10 mph. He did
caution us on using on dry road.
You are correct. However I think that most people mean that it can only be Engaged @ 10 mph or less. So if you are driving 20 mph you can't put it into Lock Mode - You have to be stopped or going less than 10 mph in order to Activate the Lock Mode. Once it's in the Lock Mode then it works at any speed.

:!:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
on the very first 150 miles we got a honest 23.4 mpg US. that's better than I had hoped fro right off the bat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
656 Posts
At 8400kms average fuel consumed:
11.1 liters per 100km,
21.2 MPG/US or
25.5 MPG/Imp.
Thats with the 5-speed, mixed moderate driving.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Ours is still relatively new but we've been getting in the ballpark of 23 or 24 mpg (predominately highway miles).

If it means anything, the fuel light generally comes on around 280 miles after a fill up. This is a little disappointing because we were hoping to go 300 on a tank. Does anyone have any experience on how many miles one can go after the light turns on?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
656 Posts
I don't think the brand of gas should make a significant difference, I usually buy Ultramar because I get a CAA/Mastercard discount on the purchase.
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Top