My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I am stationed overseas in the military and a few weeks before I am supposed to ship my Jeep back home, it won't start. OF COURSE, right? :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Symptom:

- Turns over, but doesn't start

Troubleshooting I've done so far:

- Yes, I have gas in the tank.
- Removed back seat to reveal fuel pump. I cannot hear it prime when the key turns to on.
- Disconnected fuel line and cranked vehicle. No fuel going into the rail.
- Check all ASD fuses/relays in the TIPM - all good. (I have not check any others. Good or bad?) I don't know what ASD does or what it has to do with the pump, I just read about checking those so I did.
- Tested the wiring harness that connects to the pump with the key in ON position. I am getting 10.5V. Not sure if that is right (I keep reading the pump should be getting 12V).

Any help would be great... I am really under a time crunch to get this fixed... it sucks having an American car in England because you can't find parts anywhere. I am debating on whether to get a pump priority shipped over here from RockAuto because once it gets here I'll only have a few days to install it before I have to take the vehicle to the port.

UPDATE: To further rule out the pump, I attached some wiring directly from the battery terminals so I knew for certain I was getting voltage. I ran it back to the pump and touched it to the connections on the pump itself - no prime, nothing.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Voltage is low if thats just with the key on when it should turn on and pump. With cranking it will drop to maybe that but its low as well.

Clean the battery posts. Ground strap connections. Put a charger on the battery and or real good boost to see if the pump turns on with higher voltage.

You could connect 12V directly to the pump and see if it activates the pump. It it does and the fuel pressure is now up it should fire when cranking.

Its hard to find info on these for trouble shooting. I am guessing its been sitting a long time.

Once you have fuel pressure if there is still a problem its more likely the CPS. I believe there are two of them But you should check for CODES.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
You might want to check for voltage at the fuses not just looking to see if they're blown or not. Both sides of the test tabs. Oxidization may be an issue but pulling and reinsert would rub the contact points.

you have not provided any details about the vehicle as an example in my signature. This is a generic recommendation as a result.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Well done it happens on the Compass. But it is not that high millage . If you run low on gas and a lot the fuel pumps don't get cooking and may have contributed to its failure. Something to think about.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts