My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem putting gas in my Compass. The gas nozzle shuts off if I put the gas in too fast. No matter how far in or out I put the nozzle the gas nozzle clicks off after a short time. It takes forever to put a few gallons in. We rarely fill it up...

Is it a vent problem?

Does anyone else have a similar problem?

What must I do to fix this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just don't put the Nozel in so far and set the nozel to the middle detent, this works for me.
Thanks, but nope, that doesn't work. I hold it out as far as I can and have to manually hold the handle to keep it slow.

I failed to mention that the "Gascap" light on the instrument panel is lit...

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I have a problem putting gas in my Compass. The gas nozzle shuts off if I put the gas in too fast. No matter how far in or out I put the nozzle the gas nozzle clicks off after a short time. It takes forever to put a few gallons in. We rarely fill it up...

Is it a vent problem?

Does anyone else have a similar problem?

What must I do to fix this?

Thanks!
Yes I did have that problem. Nothing to do with the gas station nozzle.

Fill in your signature
- year
- model
- engine
- FWD/AWD
- millage
etc then we know what you're referring to.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My Compass is a 2007, 2.4 engine, and it is the plain Jane model, and it is 4 wheel drive.

thanks, Abe

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Gas Tank

I don't know how far back the problem goes but the dealers have a FSB on this problem. There is an internal valve in the gas tank which does not allow proper flow.

I had that problem and brought it up to them. The solution was for a new gas tank to be installed. Yes, I also have a replaced gas tank among many other parts.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know how far back the problem goes but the dealers have a FSB on this problem. There is an internal valve in the gas tank which does not allow proper flow.

I had that problem and brought it up to them. The solution was for a new gas tank to be installed. Yes, I also have a replaced gas tank among many other parts.
What is an FSB and does Chrysler pay for it?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I get this very occasionally. Maybe three to four times in the four years I have had the Compass. I just go to a different pump and that solves the problem. For some reason some nozzles give problems.

·
Registered
71 Posts
hey guys im back on here diggin up old threads bc my wifes compass has been having the issue where it takes 20 minutes to fill the gas tank. The pump nozzle keeps clicking off, i have to hold it as far out as i can and only pump very slowly or it will click off.

It is definitely the issue with the gas tank/evap canister/ or vent hose.

seems the two most common issues are the tank or evap canister.

i can do the evap canister no problem myself but i hate to throw parts at it. just want to see who else had the issue and if it was the tank or the evap canister that solved the issue or something else

thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey guys im back on here diggin up old threads bc my wifes compass has been having the issue where it takes 20 minutes to fill the gas tank. The pump nozzle keeps clicking off, i have to hold it as far out as i can and only pump very slowly or it will click off.

It is definitely the issue with the gas tank/evap canister/ or vent hose.

seems the two most common issues are the tank or evap canister.

i can do the evap canister no problem myself but i hate to throw parts at it. just want to see who else had the issue and if it was the tank or the evap canister that solved the issue or something else

thanks
As I am the original poster on this thread I felt I should contribute. There was a small hole in the evap canister of my Compass. We took it to the dealership to fix. The mechanic said it could have been caused by backing into something. We have had no problems since.

·
Registered
71 Posts
As I am the original poster on this thread I felt I should contribute. There was a small hole in the evap canister of my Compass. We took it to the dealership to fix. The mechanic said it could have been caused by backing into something. We have had no problems since.
hey thanks i appreciate it! we dont have a gascap light on and there is a check engine light but it is for an O2 sensor.

i think im going to do a simple check and take off the vent to the evap canister and then fuel up again. if it fills fine i will assume its the canister, if it still takes forever i guess it could be a few other things

·
Registered
71 Posts
so to update, there were two vents going into the evap canister. i took them both off to let the gas tank free vent while filling and still had the same problem.

so the evap canister is not the cause and its either the vent line/s (unlikely) or the tank itself as it was for tripplec as well (more likely)

might have to go to the dealer:mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
71 Posts
another update, the "gascap" signal has appeared on the dash and has stayed lit for a few days now.(i have reconnected the vent lines)

there is a CEL light but it had been for something emissions related. Im going to head to autozone and have them see if there are any additional codes now and we'll go from there....

·
Registered
71 Posts
not sure if anybody is still interested but i have yet even more updates...

i took off the fuel filler neck and the flexible hose at the tank connection. i stuck a small metal tool in to feel for blockage, there was an obstruction which i think must have been the valve (the one that closes if the car flips over) i used my tool to try and pry it open more.

it was tough bc i could not physically see what i was doing i was going by feel. I ended up breaking the valve (or at least i thought)

i used my small inspection camera to verify that there was no obstruction at the fuel tank connection to the filler neck. i could see all the way into the tank and also see the fuel canister/pump. i also verified that there was no obstructions in the filler neck

now it gets fun....i go to the gas station to fill up and within 2 seconds of starting to fill the nozzle clicks off and gas actually came out of the top of my filler neck.

being that there is no obstruction in the filler neck or tank connection i must assume that it is somewhere in the vent system. Breaking the small check valve now allows gas to flow in at such a high rate that without proper venting the fuel/air bubbles come blasting back out the filler neck.

i will add i can fill the car with a five gallon container and funnel. but the high pressure of the gas pump station nozzle will not allow filling.

on we go..........

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ugh... Hope you find out what the issue is. Keep us posted! Good luck!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've been fighting with the gas fill issue on my 2014 and FINALLY figured out what works for me. Instead of keeping the gas pump handle straight up and down while refueling I push the bottom to the LEFT (apx. the 7 o'clock position) and it doesn't "click" off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an 07 compass and have the same problem. I wonder if there has been anyone that has taken the tank off and inspected it to see if it has a fix? I had a quote of $1000 for the tank and labor.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have an 07 compass and have the same problem. I wonder if there has been anyone that has taken the tank off and inspected it to see if it has a fix? I had a quote of $1000 for the tank and labor.
That's crazy high! Who quoted that and what year model you got?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Its a 07 and it was our local jeep dealer. They said 700 for the tank plus labor, which puts it right at a thousand
I also contacted jeep h.q. and they said they weren' t going to help $ wise.
Last 3 times putting gas in,,...........no problem, makes me wonder if its the cold weather we have had? Beats me......

1 - 20 of 33 Posts