My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!
Im new to this site, and of course i recently just purchased a 2018 Jeep Compass Trailhawk..going on 2 weeks with it. One major issue/question...: anyone else having to fuel up every 3 days? Im noticing that with mine..i have to gas up every 3 days...4 if i'm lucky. I drive 40 min for work and i end up using a quart..and another just to go back home. Is this normal..am i over thinking?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Excessive oil consumption is an issue that has been frequently discussed in this forum. Your fuel consumption seems normal to me. I drive 50 miles/day and usually fuel up after the 3rd day. My average fuel economy was 26 MPG average. Given the small 13.5 gallons fuel tank, this seems reasonable.

·
851 Posts
Clarissa, I don't know how you drive or if you're in city traffic, but your MPG seems too low. Most of my driving is highway at 60-65 MPH and I'm getting 30.5 overall since I bought mine. I've got 27,000 miles on it now. Until November I was getting 31.5 but since putting on my snow tires, winter blend fuel, and sub-zero temperatures I've only been getting 29MPG so that makes for my 30.5 average MPG.

As above, if you're doing a lot of aggressive driving in the city, then maybe 20MPG is all you can expect.

·
851 Posts
My oil consumption has greatly improved since 20,000 miles. I'm getting about 3000/qt now. May just be that this engine has a super-long break-in period.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm getting ~20-21 MPG w/ the 6-speed. However my commute to work is about a half mile so i am very satisfied with what i'm seeing (was getting 12-13mpg in my Taurus). Even non-commute driving, I normally don't have a drive much greater than 3-5 miles away so my MPG is based on almost no highway driving and a fairly heavy foot.

I did buy the Compass "out-of-town" and saw about 29 mpg between the dealership and my house. This was on I-75 with speeds around 75mph.

I will say that the smaller gas tank does lead to some frequent fill ups though. My wife's Escape has a pretty small tank complained about frequent fill ups.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The all terrain tires on the trailhawk likely reduce the mileage compared with traditional on road tires. The off road tires, additional ground clearance and extra weight penalize fuel economy vs other compasses but the trade-off is capability. That said, the gas tank is not particularly large and gas is quite cheap right now (the gas component vs the tax component).

Also, double check to see if your tires are properly inflated. With temperatures dropping, it's likely that the tires need a bit more pressure

·
Registered
398 Posts
The all terrain tires on the trailhawk likely reduce the mileage compared with traditional on road tires. The off road tires, additional ground clearance and extra weight penalize fuel economy vs other compasses but the trade-off is capability. That said, the gas tank is not particularly large and gas is quite cheap right now (the gas component vs the tax component).

Also, double check to see if your tires are properly inflated. With temperatures dropping, it's likely that the tires need a bit more pressure
I get ~30MPG on on trail hawk going at 60MPH. I dont think they will influence it that much, maybe 1-2 MPGs.

·
Registered
181 Posts
i don't think i broke over 21 mpg.... my old Land Rover LR2 with v6 got 23mpg :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
2018 Jeep Compa Latitude 4X4 with 9 speed

I have recently bought my 2018 Jeep Compass Latitude 4X4 w/ 9 speed Trans. Right now I drive about 30-40 miles a day mostly Highway and right now I average between 20-22 MPG depending if I have cruise on or not and what speed I am going. I have done a couple self tests if I go between 60-67 MPH it will end up in 8th gear and be under 2k RPM'S which will get me better MPG. If I go above 70 MPH it will be sitting right around 2k RPM'S and does not get the best MPG unless you manually shift it in 9th because it wont go into 9th gear automatically. From what I have noticed that 8th gear and 9th have like no power (example) ( I set my cruise at 77 MPH once it is at a cruising 77 MPH it will shift in 8th gear no 9th and when the speed decreases the engine will down shift in 7th or 6th to get the power to get back up to speed) Personally I think the engine is under powered considering what I am going through or there is something wrong with the transmission. I should be getting more MPG than 20-22 MPG on highway. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yea I hear you on that 55-60 MPH would help on MPG but considering its highway I cant really be going 55-60 MPH that's 15 under normal speed limit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good idea though. By what I was saying what do you think. Does it sound like my compass is running normally or might be something to look into?

·
Registered
5 Posts
ok well that's at least some relief. It just didn't add up since I was getting basically 20-22 MPG which is city MPG for mostly highway but considering I drive at higher speeds means less MPG. Its just that 9th gear had me question things since it don't go even in 9th.

·
851 Posts
ok well that's at least some relief. It just didn't add up since I was getting basically 20-22 MPG which is city MPG for mostly highway but considering I drive at higher speeds means less MPG. Its just that 9th gear had me question things since it don't go even in 9th.
9th is a decoration. I've got to be going over 60 to even get it into 9th with autostick. I do that once in a while just to keep it working, but even at 70MPH its lugging in 9th.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts