My Jeep Compass Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gas milage is gonna start to be a big topic. I have 2020 jeep compass 2.4 trailhawk with 10,000 miles. Just wondering how's the gas milage. I'm getting about 20 around town. Highway maybe 27.....31 if I go exactly 65 and no hills..
Any thoughts anyone makes any changes to improve gas milage???
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Compass Trailhawk
697 Posts
I have a 21 TH with 12000 and averaging about 23.9 combined. Only about 20% of miles on interstate,. Use cruise as much as possible. Tires -pressure and HT, use AS/S as much as possible. Right turns only, keep it clean etc, Use GPS, tuner. …….

·
Administrator
2,204 Posts
Get LRR tires. I figure they improve fuel economy by at least 10%, that's 3MPG. For whatever reason 55MPH seems to be about the optimum speed for fuel economy. I've read where one of the bus companies calculated 57MPH for their vehicles. Still, we're talking mid-50s MPH. I tend to drive low 60s on the interstate and that means I am among the slowest. For safety reasons I don't like to drive any slower than that. However, on rural state highways in the mid-50s I can get well into the 30s, even the high 30s.

Photo was my best MPG ever with my 2018 Compass, a 50 mile trip from Colebrook NH to Berlin NH.
Spring day, ideal conditions.
Gadget Personal luxury car Automotive tire Font Auto part

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Get LRR tires. I figure they improve fuel economy by at least 10%, that's 3MPG. For whatever reason 55MPH seems to be about the optimum speed for fuel economy. I've read where one of the bus companies calculated 57MPH for their vehicles. Still, we're talking mid-50s MPH. I tend to drive low 60s on the interstate and that means I am among the slowest. For safety reasons I don't like to drive any slower than that. However, on rural state highways in the mid-50s I can get well into the 30s, even the high 30s.

Photo was my best MPG ever with my 2018 Compass, a 50 mile trip from Colebrook NH to Berlin NH.
Spring day, ideal conditions.
View attachment 16110
True of course we have been in frigid cold spell so that plays a factor

·
Administrator
2,204 Posts
Winter-blend fuels don't do as well. I should add that ethanol-free delivers better fuel economy. The photo that I posted above was probably accomplished with ethanol-free hi-test. I did a comparison a year or so ago and by my calculations the ethanol-free does better. That is in MPG. If I calculated Miles Per Dollar they'd be about even. So the ethanol-free does well enough to cover it's higher cost, but no better.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Winter-blend fuels don't do as well. I should add that ethanol-free delivers better fuel economy. The photo that I posted above was probably accomplished with ethanol-free hi-test. I did a comparison a year or so ago and by my calculations the ethanol-free does better. That is in MPG. If I calculated Miles Per Dollar they'd be about even. So the ethanol-free does well enough to cover it's higher cost, but no better.
Gas is climbing fast

·
Administrator
2,204 Posts
When it's really cold my Compass takes a long time to warm up. Even running the heater cools the engine. The best efficiency is at full operating temperature = in the low 190sF. When it takes a long time to get there or when it can't maintain that temperature, efficiency drops.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts