My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody encounter a bad squealing bearing from the alternator/generator yet? I have 53,000 and am pretty sure that's where the noise is coming from. Any idea how long I can let this go before it takes a hard dump? or how difficult it is to replace?

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
I think what you're hearing is the bearing in the alternator pulley, not the alternator itself. I do know in a few instances where an alternator is replaced, the pulley itself can be taken off if the groove pattern is not the same at the new one, but typically, those are not sold separately. Are you getting any other symptoms?

- Cherokee

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cherokee;
Thanks for the reply. No symptoms other than noise. I crawled under the car, took off the belt and turned the alternator by hand and could reproduce the noise. I occurs at only one point during the rotation.........chirp...chirp...chirp. Sounded like it was coming from the back end of the alternator. Which is what made me believe it as a shaft or foot bearing.

Pully seems to be nailed on there pretty well; doesn't wobble or seem loose on the shaft

I'm not going to do anything for awhile. But if it gets worse I guess I'll have to replace the whole thing. Most of the parts online are re-built.......and my experience with re-built electricals is not good. But then, the OE part didn't do real well either.

Novagard

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
That is odd, but it does sound like a new(er) alternator is going to be needed soon. If you're not noticing any voltage drops on your gauge, and lights are not dimming out, etc., most likely it's still working. Most auto parts stores will check it for you but it's always tough to determine how much longer one has on a part.

- Cherokee

1 - 4 of 4 Posts