My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to get a GPS system, as I have one on my laptop, and it served me very well getting from Halifax NS to Calgary AB, but now want one in the Jeep. I want to leave the 'laptop' GPS in the car (Saturn SC1), and don't plan to take the laptop with me everytime I wanna use the GPS.

What are peoples thoughts on models, features etc etc.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I am thinking about getting the Compass with navigation, but for $3000, it seems like a lot. Is there an aftermarket one I can buy that will still fit in properly where the radio goes??

·
Registered
7 Posts
$3000 is a bit much. If you know a little bit about car wiring and such, you can get yourself a system on its own and install it for less than $1000. Of course you would be paying for that one with the purchase of the car. Just my 2cents.

·
Registered
31 Posts
wow 3000?? for the stock gps??? you should just get an nice alpine or kenwood with gps and it will even have dvd......the indash will probably be around 1200 and installation will be around 200....

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thanks! :) I just bought the Jeep without navigation for now... I know I want it eventually so I'll weigh my options. It was $2895 from the dealer in Canada..... :S

·
Registered
362 Posts
You could always buy a GPS unit from Future Shop for like $500. Or a map for $6. Or plan your route in maps.google.com and print some maps for free. Wow.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I actually use my cell phone for GPS, TeleNav. Works great. LOL.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I get lost everywhere :( I'm probably just gonna get the $400 one from BestBuy... the other ones are way too expensive!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
GPS SYSTEMS FOR THE COMPASS

Hello,

I work for Crutchfield Co. and if your not familiar with us you should definantly check us out at http://www.crutchfield.com

Here is a list of GPS Navigation systems that currently work for the Compass.( you can look at these on our company site)

These are for the Compasses without the Boston Acoustic Sound System.

JVC KD-NX5000-$999.99

Kenwood Navigation Package-$1,199.98

Pioneer Avic-N3-$1,699.99

Eclipse AVN7000-$1,999.99

CHECK EM OUT!!!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I as well us TeleNav on my cell phone. It works great. But I watched a newscast about how in-car navigation systems actually decrease the resale value by 1%. Because they become outdated, so definitely buy an aftermarket one.

·
Registered
127 Posts
wow thats so true, never thought of that. Guess i will stick to the portable one, and its good cuz u can bring it in other vehicles too.. the in dash one is way too expensive..

·
Registered
127 Posts
Has anyone installed an in dash navigation system or does anyone have the stock one? I really don't want to get the portable one... but I have a few questions...

If I were to buy an in dash one such as the one here:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetai ... atid=21993 ....

then would the steering wheel audio controls still work? Also, I would probably have to buy that REC install kit right? Has anyone done this? Any info is appreciated :D

If this doesn't work out, I guess I will just get the portable one... does anyone know any good ones or tips about them?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Chrysler has 2 GPS options for the Compass.

The In Dash unit that is bundled with the 6 disc CD player - which also causes you to lose your MP3 jack.

They also have the NAVUS On Dash Unit that is made by Garmin (Garmin is the best GPS maker out there) that comes with an upgradeable Map Card so you can get new maps by changing the Card. The 2007 North America Map Card comes with the unit.
I believe the NAVUS costs about $1000 Canadian and takes the dealer about 30 minutes to install.

http://www8.garmin.com/pressroom/mobile/012805.html

http://www.justforjeeps.com/nanasy.html

http://performancedodge.stores.yahoo.ne ... anasy.html

http://bbjeep2.stores.yahoo.net/nanakitjeco.html

:!:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thanks Neely!

Yeah I saw the on dash mounted one, but don't really like how that looks.

The other one from Chrysler I really like, but it's very expensive... the Pioneer one is the same idea and then you can watch DVD movies as well and it's cheaper, I just don't know how compatible it will be. I hope the people at Best Buy will know how to install it properly and all that... guess I will find out! Also with the Pioneer, I'm not losing the mp3 jack. Either way, I think I will have to buy that kit to change the two small holes to one big hole.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I don't understand why Chrysler made it that you lose the MP3 jack on the In Dash model - that's so stupid!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Well I'm out of options, I was even considering the mountad Navus one, called the dealer today and it's over $1400 plus they said it takes TWO HOURS to install so $220 extra. That's crazy!!!

The best buy one is gonna be too hard to put in, I would have to buy that kit to change the two holes into one big hole, then pay an additional $250 just to not lose the steering wheel audio controls plus extra $250 installation.

I hate the portable one with all the wiring/charging, etc... guess I'll do some more shopping around.

·
Registered
360 Posts
mcatenacci said:
Well I'm out of options, I was even considering the mountad Navus one, called the dealer today and it's over $1400 plus they said it takes TWO HOURS to install so $220 extra. That's crazy!!!

The best buy one is gonna be too hard to put in, I would have to buy that kit to change the two holes into one big hole, then pay an additional $250 just to not lose the steering wheel audio controls plus extra $250 installation.

I hate the portable one with all the wiring/charging, etc... guess I'll do some more shopping around.
The dealer is screwing you. I have the NAVUS flyer and it says that it should take the dealer about 30 minutes to install it. Plus my dealer said it's $1200 but he'd sell it to me for $900.

This link from the NAVUS site actually says that the dealer should be able to install it in LESS than 30 minutes:

http://www8.garmin.com/pressroom/mobile/012805.html

·
Registered
127 Posts
That is unbelievable!!!! You'd think there would be some standard pricing among dealerships!!! I thought it was ridiculous since the price of the unit alone is like $900 on US websites, but then it voids the warranty in Canada if I buy that and then it's a hassle when paying duties across the border. I can't believe they told me over $1400 plus 2 hours to install.

If your dealer would do it for $900 and 30 min to install, then I would definitely get that one. It's much too complicated to mess with the radio and get aftermarket. Plus I really like how this one is by Garmin and although it looks awkward on the dash, it's in a convenient spot at eye level.

Would your dealer give me this price or was it just special pricing for you? If so, please let me know your dealer so I can contact them and get it installed :D Did they say how much installation would be?

Thanks so much for the help Neely!!

·
Registered
360 Posts
mcatenacci said:
That is unbelievable!!!! You'd think there would be some standard pricing among dealerships!!! I thought it was ridiculous since the price of the unit alone is like $900 on US websites, but then it voids the warranty in Canada if I buy that and then it's a hassle when paying duties across the border. I can't believe they told me over $1400 plus 2 hours to install.

If your dealer would do it for $900 and 30 min to install, then I would definitely get that one. It's much too complicated to mess with the radio and get aftermarket. Plus I really like how this one is by Garmin and although it looks awkward on the dash, it's in a convenient spot at eye level.

Would your dealer give me this price or was it just special pricing for you? If so, please let me know your dealer so I can contact them and get it installed :D Did they say how much installation would be?

Thanks so much for the help Neely!!
I'm not sure if they'd give you that price or not. He quoted me that price for when I'm buying the car from him. It might be more if you aren't buying the car too? But feel free to ask, it's Goudy Motors in Meaford, Ontario:

GOUDY MOTORS LIMITED
426 SYKES STREET
MEAFORD, ON N4L1C6
Phone: (519) 538-1250 / (877) 538-1250

If I remember correctly he said that it should take 1 hour at most but probably less.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts