My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What a mess. Any word if Jeep will offer the turbo version in the Compass/Patriot? It was speculated by some automotive magazines that they would in 2008, which came and went and no word for 2009.

Personally, I wouldn't mind the 3.7L V6 under the hood :) I think I would take that over the turbo 2.4L I4 :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Technically the turbo charge is a air ram that sits on the intake manifold. Wouldn't someone be able to replace the intake assembly to have the turbo put it. Obviously the fuel settings on the computer would need to be changed.

The check engine light came on again so maybe I'll ask about that at the dealer.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is an Eaton supercharger (belt driven) that replaces the intake manifold. What the 2.4L has is a standard turbocharger, located somewhere south of the exhaust manifold. The turbo uses the pressurized exhaust gases to spin versus a belt (supercharger). Anyway, to add a turbocharger to the engine you will a custom exhaust manifold to mount one on to that feeds the exhaust gases to the turbo, new intake piping, lots of extra intake piping if you want to pipe it through an intercooler (cools the fresh air that got warmed up from the turbo), new fuel system (larger fuel pump, high capacity injectors) and completely new fuel mappings. Also, compression may have to be reduced and the engine will most likely require premium fuel.

A supercharger is easier to install; however, you loose engine power because it needs to turn that supercharger. Less piping is involved with a supercharger but you still need to modify fuel maps and increase your fuel capacities as with a turbo.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts