My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just figured out by accident that you could use the common chrome door edge moulding as a dress up for the Compass grille.;) You just buy about 5 packs of the chrome door edge moulding sold at Wal-Mart for $3.49 a pack of 2 and cut them to the 9.5" length x 21 pieces, push them on the black vanes and VOILA! They come 2-24" pieces to a pack so my math shows that 5 packs will do the 21 vanes. So you could say that it can be done for around $20! I am going to get mine tomorrow.:D

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Sounds sweet! Pics or it didn't happen, lol! :)

- Cherokee

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gimmie a break my Cajindian friend! :p It's only 6AM and I just got up! :rolleyes:I gotta go bring my neighbors to the Armstrong airport for 8AM then it's double back to Wal-Mart and the chrome strips! Latent images later on today (if they have 5 packs of strips on the shelf). If not I will go to another WM and get the rest.:D

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
OK, here's the skinny on installing "Unkle Rem's Grille Mod"!

When you get the door moulding make sure you get all the same model #. Then you will need a few tools and about an hours time. I re-measured the length of the stock grille vanes and came up with 9-5/8". You can eye it up yourself and use your own discretion as to length. The total cost of this mod (if you use the Wal-Mart door edge) came to $16.79.

Here's the images:
#1-Before URGM
#2-Necessary Tools
#3-Push on (hint: let it sit in the Sun a while to warm the grill and moulding)
#4-After URGM.

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Very nice mod.........well documented too.........thank's a lot....this thing is really too clean !!!!! Should see ours up here !!!!! One day soon spring will be among us !!!!

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Gimmie a break my Cajindian friend! :p It's only 6AM and I just got up! :rolleyes:I gotta go bring my neighbors to the Armstrong airport for 8AM then it's double back to Wal-Mart and the chrome strips! Latent images later on today (if they have 5 packs of strips on the shelf). If not I will go to another WM and get the rest.:D
Hehehe, I just love mods, ok and mods with pics :D

Skyeye, gotta' hand it to ya' there man, that looks AWESOME!!! Very creative (now why didn't I think of that?) and a whole lot cheaper than inserts and such. I was considering a chrome grille/bumpers for my truck, but I've seen some that are body color, which I like better, (the grille I have now is black with the same veins, only crosshair style) and with your mod, especially since my truck is silver, that would look fantastic! Very nice mod, kudos to ya' for that, and thanks for a great idea! :)

- Cherokee

·
Registered
16 Posts
Veeery nicely done! As soon as the weather warms it'll be a cool addition.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I did that last summer and they still look like the day they were put on. Didn't realized it was such an unknown mod.
PS I did get the idea from ebay as they were selling the kits for 30 bucks after shipping.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Amazing! I read this thread about an hour ago. After reading I went to WalMart and got 6 packs of the chrome trim. Cut them to 9 and 5/8 inch and put them on my dash to soften under the sun. They went on very easy and I am shocked at how great it looks! Thanks for the awesome idea!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Nice job OffTheWoll!!! Looks fantastic!!! :)

- Cherokee

·
Registered
101 Posts
This might be a stupid question .. but here goes. Is there a film over the chrome trim when you buy it that you are suppose to peel off before placing? I noticed on mine that there is a loose layer of film around the trim .... should I cut it off? It's a little hard to grab to just pull off.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
The only stupid questions are the ones not asked, and unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to attack this particular mod, so I don't know but I wouldn't think so.....Sky would know. Only question I have 'cause I know I'm obsessive about not having bugs on my grille, so Sky, how tough is it to keep yours clean with all these LA bugs???

- Cherokee

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Some vinyl chrome parts have protective films. If you purchased the ones from Wal-Mart they do not have the film. Sometimes if you don't make a clean cut on these you will raise the clear Milar coating they put over the chrome. This is not supposed to be removed.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well I did get the ones at WalMart and every damn one of them looks like it has a film on it that wants to be taken off. Ill try to get a close up picture of this and post it so you know what I'm going through here. It's kind of annoying and doesn't look right up close.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I tried to peel a film off a leftover piece of the material from my own job. There was no film and the chrome Mylar came off and exposed a whitish black plastic. Maybe all the Wal-Mart stores don't use the same manufacturer?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Ok well I got a picture. I didn't notice the film until after it rained for about 2 weeks strait here. The pic looks like it is just dirty but it's actually the film making it look like that. I don't know if I should try to peel it off or what. If you stand more than 5 feet away you can't even notice it. Just frustrates me :p

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Woll, do like I did and try to peel it off a leftover piece. Let us know what you were able to do.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts