My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced a leaking power steering hose and now I get a grinding noise and the vehicle judders when I turn at low revs. I've tried replacing the power steering pump but that didn't work. Anyone got any ideas?

·
Registered
415 Posts
I replaced a leaking power steering hose and now I get a grinding noise and the vehicle judders when I turn at low revs. I've tried replacing the power steering pump but that didn't work. Anyone got any ideas?

Hey pete1390,

Unfortunately I couldn’t find any TSBs that relate to your issue. Could you please provide some more vehicle information, so I can research this issue further?

Thank you for reaching out.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Now here's a question did it do this before u changed the pump if it didn't then the pump might be bad it's rare for a new one to go bad but it has happened also check and make sure u have enoff power sterring fluid after u change it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, it's a 2010 compass. The way it happened was:
The steering started making a noise, I checked the level which was low and topped it up.
The noise stopped immediately.
Then the steering started making a noise, I checked the level which was low and topped it up.
The noise stopped immediately.
I took it to a mate who said a hose was leaking, we swapped to hose for an after market one and now the steering makes a noise all the time at low revs.
The fact that the noise happens only at low revs made me think that the pump could have been damaged when the level was low.
Changing the pump has had a minimal effect, the noise is slightly different now, if anything it is more when the engine is warm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts