My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the weather has turned cold, my 2008 Compass is making a grinding noise when making sharp turns. Took it to the dealership and they said it was a debris problem which they claimed to have cleaned out. Didn't get out of the parking lot - same noise! Couldn't leave it with them and not sure I want to anyway - has anybody else had this problem and if so what was the solution. Thanks all.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Ah... Yes, I've had that same problem as well and I think (keyword there) that it's just the power steering reaching the end of its range of motion.

·
Registered
222 Posts
i get it too early in the morning when its cold if i crank my wheels. its the pump struggling

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Guess my question is, if they are saying it is a "debris problem," where is there debris? What did they "clean out?" Don't know about a "grinding" sound, but when you go lock-to-lock on the wheel, it will give a good whine, which, like LB said, is as far as the wheel will travel, and what you're hearing is the power steering pump, which is why it is not recommended to "hard crank" the wheel, as it will burn up the power steering pump. Good luck and let us know how you make out. :)

- Cherokee

·
Registered
169 Posts
You'd think with all the computer stuff on this car it would have something to keep the pump from well, pumping at the end of the cars turning radius. of course, then you have to worry about your car going over something and jerking the wheel on you. Idk, I guess I should leave that kind of stuff to the designers lol

·
Registered
18 Posts
If it is the pump there is a simple way to make this problem better. Switch your power steering fluid to synthetic. It doesn't get thick as easy as regular fluid. therefore you won't be trying to pump something to thick for the pump. All of my fluids are synthetic simply for this issue. In the cold whether they are just simply better and protect a lot better.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hmph. I dont know whether my compass has synthetic or not right now. It hasnt been changed sine we bought it, but that might not be a bad idea. Thanks for the tip.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
If it is the pump there is a simple way to make this problem better. Switch your power steering fluid to synthetic. It doesn't get thick as easy as regular fluid. therefore you won't be trying to pump something to thick for the pump. All of my fluids are synthetic simply for this issue. In the cold whether they are just simply better and protect a lot better.
That is a good tip, and I, too am big on synthetics. Valvoline SynPower is a good product. :)

- Cherokee

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This noise happens not just on sharp turns - it will also happen on a more gradual turn. It sounds almost like something being stretched - can't quite describe the noise but I do think that you are right regarding the power steering. I will have the dealership check it out and maybe just change the power steering fluid to synthetic as suggested.

·
Registered
222 Posts
This noise happens not just on sharp turns - it will also happen on a more gradual turn. It sounds almost like something being stretched - can't quite describe the noise but I do think that you are right regarding the power steering. I will have the dealership check it out and maybe just change the power steering fluid to synthetic as suggested.
is it like a click maby?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had the same problem, like a scraping problem, but it only occurs at low temperatures. When I had my car in at the dealer last, they told me there was a service bulletin on the grease in the CV Boots. They said they repacked them with a new synthetic lube. Now I just have to wait for it to get cold again and see what happens, but I hope that fixes it.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I am new to Compass. But not to that problem on other vehicles. My son has a Ford Explorer 4x4. The front wheel hub bear was well worn (2nd one now, both side are new now). These hubs are sealed and wear quickly on some makes. The have lateral play and grind when stress on turns.

There is an easy check for this. Jack up the wheel and grab the tire when clear of the ground. Rock it left right, there will be play you can feel when doing this and the same top to bottom although that takes a big more effort. Don't confuse this with moving the front steering which is entirely different.

If you do pull the tires off, grabbing the studs and you will able to move it and see the inner movement. I changed the bearing hub yesterday in the Explorer. It a common design used with the splined CV shaft going into the center of the hub driving the wheel.

Check it out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts