My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new jeep compass sport 2WD would like to put a body lift for more ground clearance is this recommended..and positive thought,,..?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Its not great for the CV axles those lifts always cause them to run at a harsher angle that will shorten their life (although we can't say for sure how much shorter, and depends on how much lift 1.5 vs 2 vs 2.5 etc)

A lot of people think they need more ground clearance but really don't. What makes you think you need more clearance? Having a 2WD is going to limit you more than 1-2 inches of clearance difference ever will.

Putting a lift on will not allow you to run any bigger tires by itself either, tire clearance to fenders is not the first issue for bigger tires its actually the spring perches that are the first things to hit a larger tire and a lift doesn't change that.

·
Super Moderator
1,199 Posts
Welcome! Ditto @arudlang. Lifts and other mods almost always involve tradeoffs. If yours is FWD what kind of trails are you planning to take on? If you want to climb canyon walls, ford a swamp, or take on a mountain blizzard I'd say you need a Wrangler.

You didn't say what year your Compass is. If yours is a 2nd generation Compass, I'm not so sure a lift and larger tires are practical. Note how little forward clearance your rear tires have -- they are not centered in the fender openings.

For all practical purposes a Compass is a great choice -- it's comfortable on the highway and delivers excellent fuel economy. With good tires FWD can be very competent in snow or for moderate off-roading. Either FWD or AWD can certainly handle a muddy trail up to a hunting lodge or get you home in a typical snowstorm.

Also, if yours is a 2nd generation with the Tigershark, keep an eye on your dipstick. Some, not all, really suck oil. I had a 2018 that only got 3,000/quart but my 2019 is fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts