My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Making this post as I keep getting PM's and also the new people posting trying to do this and I keep shooting them down. Wanted to make a direct post about it.

If you want to go from a halogen headlights assembly to the OEM LED headlight assembly or the eBay aftermarket bi-xeon it is not possible at this time.

As someone that has took the whole front bumper off and attempted this swap with the bi-xeon eBay aftermarket headlights. Anyone that has halogen assembly has a full different harness then the ones built off the line with the OEM LED headlight assembly from Jeep.

The OEM harness that comes with enhanced lighting package has a 8 pin connector which is what is needed to power OEM LED headlight assembly and the bi-xeon eBay ones have the same 8 pin connection. So the swap to bi-xeon is possible from OEM LED headlight assembly.

Everyone that does not have the enhanced light package (ie: OEM LED headlight assembly) only has a 4 pin connection as it will not power the LED or Bi-xeon eBay headlight assembly's.

I have heard talks of a adapter to take the power from 4 to 8 pins but I have not seen the proof yet.

AT THIS TIME 1/4/2020 IT IS NOT POSSIBLE NOW PLUG AND PLAY SWAP FROM HALOGEN HEADLIGHT ASSEMBLY TO AN UPGRADED SYSTEM LIKE THE OEM LED OR BI-XEON EBAY HEADLIGHT ASSEMBLY'S.

That being said hacking of harness or even the headlights themself might be possible. I am tempted to try this as of right now I am out $650 for my bi-xeons in the garage atm. What do I have to lose. Make no mistake though, there is no plug and play option for use halogen headlights assembly owners at this time.

Regards,

K

·
Registered
26 Posts
Making this post as I keep getting PM's and also the new people posting trying to do this and I keep shooting them down. Wanted to make a direct post about it.

If you want to go from a halogen headlights assembly to the OEM LED headlight assembly or the eBay aftermarket bi-xeon it is not possible at this time.

As someone that has took the whole front bumper off and attempted this swap with the bi-xeon eBay aftermarket headlights. Anyone that has halogen assembly has a full different harness then the ones built off the line with the OEM LED headlight assembly from Jeep.

The OEM harness that comes with enhanced lighting package has a 8 pin connector which is what is needed to power OEM LED headlight assembly and the bi-xeon eBay ones have the same 8 pin connection. So the swap to bi-xeon is possible from OEM LED headlight assembly.

Everyone that does not have the enhanced light package (ie: OEM LED headlight assembly) only has a 4 pin connection as it will not power the LED or Bi-xeon eBay headlight assembly's.

I have heard talks of a adapter to take the power from 4 to 8 pins but I have not seen the proof yet.

AT THIS TIME 1/4/2020 IT IS NOT POSSIBLE NOW PLUG AND PLAY SWAP FROM HALOGEN HEADLIGHT ASSEMBLY TO AN UPGRADED SYSTEM LIKE THE OEM LED OR BI-XEON EBAY HEADLIGHT ASSEMBLY'S.

That being said hacking of harness or even the headlights themself might be possible. I am tempted to try this as of right now I am out $650 for my bi-xeons in the garage atm. What do I have to lose. Make no mistake though, there is no plug and play option for use halogen headlights assembly owners at this time.

Regards,

K
Go find a Jeep Compass on a lot via the Jeep.com site with the HID - take the last 8 of that VIN and go order the headlight harness from Jeep ... that will change everything you need and is all plug and play

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your a rare breed, I don't want to disconnect my whole engine harness for these lights. It isn't worth it and I rather wait till they start showing up later in junk hards then buying a new one. Appreciate your optimism and help but this post is more of a warning and a note for others less about me fixing my issue.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Your a rare breed, I don't want to disconnect my whole engine harness for these lights. It isn't worth it and I rather wait till they start showing up later in junk hards then buying a new one. Appreciate your optimism and help but this post is more of a warning and a note for others less about me fixing my issue.
It’s not the engine harness, there’s a harness out front behind the bumper, that is specifically for the headlights any sensors any of that stuff out front that keeps the manufacturer from having to replace engine harnesses for front end damage ... I was in the collision repair industry for 20 years trust me I know what I’m talking about, I’m getting ready this to do the same thing to my wife’s Chrysler 200 S for the HID and LED fogs ... harness was around $100

·
Registered
165 Posts
I am quite certain that it is more than just wiring. The computer needs to be told it has the LED light option.

That being said, I have done things like this to my other cars. If you can get the wiring diagrams from the service department for a car with and without the LED lights, I can help. Making the wiring without getting a new harness is easy. Also need to know if the plug for both headlights is the same or not. And finally, if it doesn't work, then need to get the AlfaOBD to turn it on.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I am quite certain that it is more than just wiring. The computer needs to be told it has the LED light option.

That being said, I have done things like this to my other cars. If you can get the wiring diagrams from the service department for a car with and without the LED lights, I can help. Making the wiring without getting a new harness is easy. Also need to know if the plug for both headlights is the same or not. And finally, if it doesn't work, then need to get the AlfaOBD to turn it on.
I have alfaobd because I have done cluster and 5" to 8.4" infotainment swap. So configuration isn't a big deal.

Getting diagrams is a different story, my local place isn't going to do it. I am by 3 jeep dealers and I know none of them are going to throw me a bone for the diagrams.

We need someone here that has friends at a dealership to help us with this. Providing an option not just for me but for others would be appreciated by a lot of people going forward.

·
Registered
26 Posts

No there won’t be because the LED signatures come on when you start the vehicle it’s not controlled by the computer the only thing controlled by the computer is a daytime running lights in the bumper that you can turn on and off so when you change the front and harness and it pulls that switched ignition power off of the other harness - I’ll have the part number on Monday since jeep is closed right now at least the parts department is

·
Registered
165 Posts
If it is that simple, then great. I am not holding my breath, though. The wiring diagrams will tell me that, though.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If it is that simple, then great. I am not holding my breath, though. The wiring diagrams will tell me that, though.
I am sure this is the case as well as I tired to put in the bi-xeon headlight assembly's i had and threw no codes. There are options in alfaobd for Turing on LED options but I think there more a indicator like the other choices like model year I can choose or even model trim. Not sure why those options are there but they are. ??‍♂

·
Registered
26 Posts
So I’m a few days late, but unlike other Jeep/Chrysler/Dodge/Ram models instead of being a separate headlight junction harness - it is indeed one harness that goes to the dash - they didn’t explain if that was the engine harness or just from the under the hood fuse block or what - however the part # for the factory HID is 68321509AE ... and it ain’t cheap

A cheaper route is to get one with HID from a recycling yard and then splicing the lines from a point on the radiator support going out to the headlights - I’m man enough to admit when I’m wrong - and of course on the compact SUV they would do this

·
Registered
16 Posts

Regards,

K
i have done it, pretty simple and i have the stock halogen headlamps, all i did was purchase it. when you purchase they ask you if you have halogen or hid, then they reconfigure the harness and connect to my stock drls and all works perfectly

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
It’s been my experience with some manufacturers that’s harnesses in Canada are different from US ones ... this isn’t always true - but in the case of some fords it was ... could still be the same here, and I have HID OEM when I bought it so that’s the correct harness

·
Registered
165 Posts
i have done it, pretty simple and i have the stock halogen headlamps, all i did was purchase it. when you purchase they ask you if you have halogen or hid, then they reconfigure the harness and connect to my stock drls and all works perfectly
The headlights that are in the picture you posted are not the OEM LED signature lights, but are aftermarket ones, no?

1 - 20 of 123 Posts