It was another thread that inspired my question, but I'm wondering if, between government mandates, manufacturers' responses, and technology in general, have we pushed safety devices to where they may be contributing to diminished safety overall?
- While its nice to have nice strong A,B, and C pillars, they are so big they limit visibility.
- Its really hard to see cars coming on a front angle because of the A pillars.
- If another car is approaching on an incline, the sideview mirror interferes.
- The combination of the sideview mirror and the A pillar can even block a pedestrian.
- Try using the rearview mirror in a 2nd Gen Compass -- the rear head restraints pretty well block the view.
- The back-up camera, while clever, can be as much a distraction as a help. "Check your surroundings" is good advice. It should say, "Why are you reading this?"